SSSC Academy

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

SSSC Academy

Post by nickkeyser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 pm

What's this about then? Saw the fliers at curbs. Looked like a good way to get more people involved.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Re: SSSC Academy

Post by swoakes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Yes a good idea. The senior one included the purchase cost of equipment I think and the junior ones the cost of some entries. Not sure what the application process is though. It was Paul Andrews who put the posters up I think. The guy I took out on Saturday morning testing (Derek) is interested in taking his car out on track but not sure he will do it competitively. Test days quite likely though.

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

I think that's a great idea. The initial outlay puts a lot of people off, and once people get they're first entry in, there's no going back.

Test days are an interesting one, I think we have a few would be competitors (with competitive cars) who take part in the test days but don't actually compete for various reasons, which is a shame.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:25 pm

I took a number of people round at the potential compie session, and whilst all were polite and thanked me (not needed btw), none gave any hint as to what they thought. I tried to talk through each run, what I was doing in the hopes it would be of interest.

I did wonder whether they thought it difficult or dangerous, or something they might struggle to do.
In my opinion track driving is misunderstood. Its perceived as dangerous which is almost completely wrong imho. The driver is in 2, 3 or 4 layers of fireproof nomex, is wearing a skidlid, gloves, probably boots and balaclava, strapped in with a safety harness and possibly even wrapped in a roll cage, are within 300m of an ambulance, within 50m of at least 2 large fire extinguishers, there are no tractors pulling out, no kids crossing, no nobber in a Prius doing 28.9mph in the outside lane, and everyones going the same way!The tracks prepared for the job and potential hazards are guarded with armco, gentle banks, large run offs, piles of old tyres or Recticel barriers.

Makes the commute to work look like juggling chainsaws blindfold!

The other myth to dispel is car wear. The tyre wear on a relatively standard scimitar at your average hillclimb/sprint will be equivalent to a 100 fast road miles. Brake pads last many seasons, the runs arent long enough to require uprated cooling systems or even brakes in roadgoing classes. Basically a well serviced scimitar will compete with ease.

The clubs excellent championship scoring system uses a power vs weight handicap scoring system so that relative budget cars, standard showroom cars and even ourpose built racers like Team Carters or Red Rocket, all compete on an even keel, eventhougb there may be 10 seconds difference in 'scratch times'. You can still spend a fortune if you wish or big power and trick lightweight components, but the handicap system will penalise you for both, making it a choice rather than a necessity to raid the oiggy bank.

Track driving is pretty easy, its just like anyyhjng, after a bit of practice you get used to the processing speed required and becomes another skill learned.

I have to say I was a bit sceptical when I heard of the Academy idea, but have to say I tbink it has the potential as a bit of a master stroke. Well done Paul A as Comp Sec if it was his idea.

I was genuinely heartened to see the Keyser guys doing so well, and that talented little sod Josh Oakes going so well at the test days, proving you dont need to have a monster quick car or 2 million road miles under your belt to have a go. Josh isnt old enough for a road licence, so how bloody hard can this track driving lark be if a wee boy can do it well??!!
For anyone out there thinking theyd love a crack at competing, or even just trying their hand at a test day, I emplore you to do just that. Speak to Too Tall Paul Comp Sec, and stick ya name down for the academy. Ive entered under my real name of Bruce Wayne in the hopes I can get some more tyres out of the coffers as most of mine are stuck to a circuit nr Litchfield...

So not exactly Henry 5ths rallying call, just a gentle nudge to come out and enjoy your sporting scimitar in a controlled environment with a great bunch of guys and girls (did I not mention grils do it too?? ;-) )

The Academy scheme helps out with the initial financial safety equipment outlay and potentially even entries too. Multiple SSSC Champ Trevor Shortts race suit is 10 years old and going strong, thats a good value investment in saftey too, equTes to 25 quid a year!

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 am

The mention of this at Curbs caught my interest.

I've been using the excuse of initial outlay for a good while now, and there is a lot of truth to it, I can't quite justify spending several hundreds on race suits / helmets / gear.

Will need to look into this for sure. It could well be what finally tempts me into taking the plunge.

Watch out chaps, 900 + kgs and 89bhp may well be coming your way......

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am

I too am keen.

But the test days are good. They have made me realise i could be fairly competitive with my car, it just needs a spell in the garage to iron out the niggles to make it reliable.

Is we sideways yet...

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:27 pm

I think another myth that needs to be dispelled is that you need to build a racing car to go racing... You really dont, infact, Id always advise that you start with a road car and then, if you want to, develop it improving the areas that are seen to be lacking once you have track time under your belt.

Alternatively, buy one thats already done, thats a lot more cost effective, but does mean your jumping in where someone else has left off. And be careful you dont buy one thats too fast for you - you'd hate to spin off on the first corner... ;)

Phil - you need to pull your finger out, you've been telling me your going to come and give us a good whooping in your 1.3 non galv 4 speed for years.

Mikey - your car put in some impressive times in the testing IIRC, and you certainly dont lack the enthusiam out on track. Get your name down for the academy!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Yellow GTE...lead foot...from the south west...you're not related to Phill Morgan are you, Mikey?? Otherwise must be something in the water down that way..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:28 pm

philhoward wrote:Yellow GTE...lead foot...from the south west...you're not related to Phill Morgan are you, Mikey?? Otherwise must be something in the water down that way..

yep, its barley and hops I reckon Phil...

The Dangerous Brothers of Mikey and Simon would be ideal compies, mega enthusiastic, happy to wield a spanner, nice chaps to boot, and love the essential compie banter :lol:

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm

would echo Nicks point, run a standard car at a test day, only need a helmet, bought or borrowed, and see if you enjoy it. Highly unlikely you will damage the car, safe circuit with lots of run off and excellent visibility, plenty of time to let car and driver cool down.

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Great idea.

Full marks to Paul and the Cmtte. I suggest one of the "awards" should be attendance (and tuition) at one of our testdays, if not already included.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
philhoward wrote:Yellow GTE...lead foot...from the south west...you're not related to Phill Morgan are you, Mikey?? Otherwise must be something in the water down that way..

yep, its barley and hops I reckon Phil...

The Dangerous Brothers of Mikey and Simon would be ideal compies, mega enthusiastic, happy to wield a spanner, nice chaps to boot, and love the essential compie banter :lol:

Well i can honestly say i have learnt a few things this year, and one of them is how accomodating / friendly / great the compies are. And i really mean that. It's like meeting a friend that you didn't know you had. And i've been truly inspired by this last weekend. Not taking the car was painful but made me realise to concentrate on the important stuff, not the periphery. (had to spell check that :D )

So as long as nothing as nothing dramatic happens i have already told my brother i / we are competing formally in some fashion next year. (Its me that does all the work / prepping the car / maintenance. He just does arrive and drive... :roll: :roll: . But being twins you just accept it)

Is we sideways yet...

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm

It'd be great to see you and your bro' out next year Mikey. The more the merrier ! Just be sure not to be too fast :lol:

And back OT, I think the academy is a great idea. The cost of buying all the safety gear initially, can be a bit off putting and the whole scene can be a bit bewildering to start with. But once the start up costs are dealt with, the car is prepped (just a few stickers :lol: ) and you do your first run, there's no turning back. The buzz is addictive :lol:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Re: 2015 regs discussion

Post by nickkeyser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

Mod edit - split from 2015 regs chat

A bit if a tangent - I see we're doing the SSSC academy again - I think it's a really great way to bring new people in. Can we get a bit more publicity around who they are and their achievements. I see there were 3 this year, I can guess one is josh, but no idea who the other are.

What about asking that they write a regular slot about their experiance, in exchange for their club sponsorship?

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Re: 2015 regs discussion

Post by swoakes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am

nickkeyser wrote:A bit if a tangent - I see we're doing the SSSC academy again - I think it's a really great way to bring new people in. Can we get a bit more publicity around who they are and their achievements. I see there were 3 this year, I can guess one is josh, but no idea who the other are.

What about asking that they write a regular slot about their experiance, in exchange for their club sponsorship?
Josh did a piece in the last Slice Nick which was part of the sponsorship.

Mikey and Simon Auster are the other 2 guys for 2014

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin