Encouraging Newbies at Curbs 2013.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Nick
RSSOC Member

Re: Encouraging Newbies at Curbs 2013.

Post by Nick » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

Paul,

I do not plan to compete so should be able to assist.

I will be taking bookings for the Tests Days soon. Do we want to ask if drivers are willing to take passengers for runs? Voluntary only.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Tue May 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I dont think we should charge - why would we? Im sure enough compies will be happy to take passengers for free and I guess we may have to look at insurance etc if people are paying.

I do think the joy rides should follow some kind of breif talk or somthing from one of the experianced compies to put the test day into context with a true days competeing.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Yes I agree with no charge

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Although nothing to do with me nowadays, if anyone would like to make a donation, how about it goes to a chosen charity, such as Help For Heroes?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 pm

my two penneth, unless its to be incorporated into the Test session with full agreement for Compies, the test session must not be cut short!! The sprinters are paying for the test session, essentially renting the track, so the time should be found elsewhere in the programme. Originally the saturday Test was 9am-1pm and its been eroded.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm just catching-up with this after Billing, but reading through the thread, I can't help feeling it's being over-complicated. At most testdays/trackdays that I've had any dealings with, then a driver gets the runs they're entitled to in the time available, no more, no less. What they decide to do with those runs, how hard to push, whether to ballast the car with a passenger, etc., is their decision. As long as any passengers are signed-on, and any appropriate legal/safety hoops are jumped through, then the passenger just gets in with the driver at the appropriate time - whether the passenger is a total newbie or a vastly experienced driver about to tell the driver the error of his ways. So the impact on other drivers at the test is nil. If you want to arrange some sort of briefing session away from the track, then that doesn't have any impact on the people who want to use the tracktime for some serious testing.

Simples? or am I missing something?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I can see where Craig is coming from, and I agree that this is a test session and those that want to get some proper practice and testing in shouldn't be disadvantaged by restricting their time.

I'm very keen to encourage more people to join the SSSC and will help in any way I can. I'm sure we can do this over the Curbs weekend without getting in the way of the people who are paying their dues and trying to set up their cars for Sunday and a good points haul.

What about doing the rides thing after the Autotest on Saturday afternoon ?

(Edited)
Last edited by Corky on Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough.

If you have ten places, and you've taken ten bookings, then those ten drivers are the *only* ones who should be out, at any time, during the published running hours of the test.

If some of those drivers then choose to handicap themselves by taking a passenger for some of those runs, (for example Steve may take Josh, or vice versa ( :wink: ), or Steve C may take Craig for instruction, for example, or of course, someone might take a guest), then that's up to them, but they still get the allotted track time and only that.

There surely can't be any question of letting other cars/drivers out? Similarly if you *are* one of the ten, then you've all paid your money and you're all equal, regardless of whether you're an ex-champion or a complete novice "trying it out"?

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:I'm just catching-up with this after Billing, but reading through the thread, I can't help feeling it's being over-complicated. At most testdays/trackdays that I've had any dealings with, then a driver gets the runs they're entitled to in the time available, no more, no less. What they decide to do with those runs, how hard to push, whether to ballast the car with a passenger, etc., is their decision. As long as any passengers are signed-on, and any appropriate legal/safety hoops are jumped through, then the passenger just gets in with the driver at the appropriate time - whether the passenger is a total newbie or a vastly experienced driver about to tell the driver the error of his ways. So the impact on other drivers at the test is nil. If you want to arrange some sort of briefing session away from the track, then that doesn't have any impact on the people who want to use the tracktime for some serious testing.

Simples? or am I missing something?

My stance does seem harsh to the unitiated Roger im sure, but here goes.

The Curborough event was originally a sprint with a car show attached, and thats how i see it. The sprint would go ahead without any spectators or campers, or any of the other furore that is our annual Curbs event. Whilst i stop short of thinking that spectators are guests to the event, theres more cross-over and synergy than that, the sprint is the reason the event exists, not the other way around.
To that end, the test sessions are used by many of the compies to hone their cars for the sunday sprint, not as entertainment for the spectators per se. Over the years model parades, Autotest setup and other such activities have cut into the test session timings, and theres a point to where the Compies goodwill, becomes others taking the proverbial. Testers pay for the right to test half the day, they should therefore get that, others on the day seemingly dont.

on the other hand, i see no reason why the willing Compies cant encompass the Newbies activity within their allotted time slots, thats fine. I would/will/do object to the test session being cut short for any reason though.

re the priority point of Steve, theres never been a ruling as to who tests when, always been first come first served.
I would suggest though, that thats what Fridays for in my book, non SSSC sprinters. They get all day, and under less scrutiny from spectators to enjoy their session. I too agree that the saturday test is primarily a Compies test first and foremost, but if there are spaces left, i see no reason that non compies cant fill them.

i too think that encoraging newbies is a great idea, and im sure all compies will help where they can, but as Steve says, not at the detrement to their own activities and commitment.

Curbs is a great event, and like most things, if organised correctly its not a problem. Looking forward to this years already :-)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Exactly Craig, I think *virtually* everything in your note is exactly the point I was trying to make.

....Roger

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Great minds Roger, great minds... :mrgreen:

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Steady on, we can't all start agreeing with each other ...... :lol:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Tue May 21, 2013 5:51 pm

BACK TO WHERE i STARTED.

Test days are on a first come first served basis, I have some provisional bookings already. Club members only unless we cannot fill the spaces.

i will start a list next week ,and will "ask" if drivers are willing to take passengers round. Strictly voluntary with no pressure. Cars will need a full seat and safety belts.Any open cars a roll bar.

Is this agreeable? Passengers will have to sign disclaimers and "cover up" as drivers do.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Tue May 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Nick,
I believe I have already requested a spot for the Friday Test day, if not, then do you have a spare place ?
Regards,
Viv

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Nick wrote:BACK TO WHERE i STARTED.

Test days are on a first come first served basis, I have some provisional bookings already. Club members only unless we cannot fill the spaces.

i will start a list next week ,and will "ask" if drivers are willing to take passengers round. Strictly voluntary with no pressure. Cars will need a full seat and safety belts.Any open cars a roll bar.

Is this agreeable? Passengers will have to sign disclaimers and "cover up" as drivers do.
I assume that you got my email Nick to book Friday all day and Saturday morning?

When will entry forms be available for the Sunday sprint?

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”