Encouraging Newbies at Curbs 2013.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Encouraging Newbies at Curbs 2013.

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sun May 19, 2013 3:13 pm

How do all.
We talked at the compies meeting in January about the thread title and wondered if we could do taster trips in the passenger seats of the Road-going Series Production cars round the track on the test days?

Before the negatives are commented on, could I say that I don't mean "all-out" risk-taking, bum-clenching, vomit everywhere sort of stuff but a brisk run preferably with brief commentary from the pilot.

If I go back to my progression from the Auto-tests to sprinting etc, if I hadn't been able to call on my son for advice I don't think I would have succeeded. The basics regarding rules & regs in the MSA "Blue book" are daunting enough without then learning to drive competitively.

So I put forward for discussion the following thoughts for conditions for passengers:-
Briefed on basic competition safety requirements by a seasoned compie(minimum changes to start sprinting/hillclimbing, suits, helmets & gloves, battery earth cable, etc).
Over 15.
Signed on & signed injury waiver.
Helmet.
Limbs covered with clothing.
Seated and belted(to minimum MSA Road-going standards).

All input welcome, regards, Crusty Snr.

Nick

Re: Encouraging Newbies at Curbs 2013.

Post by Nick » Sun May 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Brian,

there is no problem with passengers on any of the test days providing they follow the same rules as drivers ( helmets, covered arms and legs etc.), and there is no charge

I am not sure how we would formalise this as "entrants" pay for use of the track, and we could not really impose anything on them. However, I will have at least one spare helmet, and would be pleased to see more interested passengers ( as an aside, a run with most of the compies I know would have put me oof for life :shock: ).

I would personally be happy to brief anyone interested in Competition on the day of the Sprint as I do not anticipate competing.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:48 pm

ive suggested this for years, id defo offer my time and car to take a few newbies on the test days. Once they see what its about, the myths are dispelled and most will realise its not the black art that some perceive.

I doubt we will get queues of peeps, but be good to take those that are interested in joining up for a few exploratory laps in the hopes they too come out and play.

it shouldn't be a thrill ride as BC rightly says, but more a view of what goes on.

maybe if we get a few guys and girls interested, one of us can show them through the required safety gear (skidlid, gloves, suit etc), another explain the timing lights, beam splitter and timing, another the mods to ones car (harnesses, cage if applicable) and basically answer the queries that we all had and continue to pop up on this forum regularly.

It should be free and voluntary, the passenger sign the MSA waiver (as drivers do) and maybe an RSSOC waiver to exclude the club or driver if an incident occurs.

The Loton club run a charity day where members take passengers up the hill at brisk pace, to give them a taster. It generates a good number of newbies each year and raises about £2,000 for local Air ambulance and local church funds

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 pm

b.c.flat hat wrote:If I go back to my progression from the Auto-tests to sprinting etc, if I hadn't been able to call on my son for advice I don't think I would have succeeded

Blimey BC! you asked Junior for advice and it worked??!! :lol:

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm not telling!

Nick & Craig, thanks for responding, I'm pleasantly surprised at the charity aspect. Anyone else got owt to say?

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm

I'd be quite happy to take people for a blast (If they're feeling brave), or hang around to answer the easy questions :roll: . That's only if I put the passenger seat in that I've been debating for a while.

I think I've joined the SSSC at a time when the number of competitors is at a bit of a low point. I'm more than happy to do my bit to encourage more people to join in. I know I'm at a point where my enthusiasm is greater than my knowledge, but every little helps as they say at Tesco.

At the meeting didn't we talk about putting sprint car in the Marquee on Saturday afternoon, and have a couple of competitors loitering nearby to answer questions ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 pm

What a good idea, well remembered Steve.

Crouchie_b

Post by Crouchie_b » Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
b.c.flat hat wrote:If I go back to my progression from the Auto-tests to sprinting etc, if I hadn't been able to call on my son for advice I don't think I would have succeeded

Blimey BC! you asked Junior for advice and it worked??!! :lol:
Yep, he asked for advice, I gave it, he ignored it & succeeded :lol:

Crouchie_b

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sun May 19, 2013 7:58 pm

As a newbie myself I would also be happy to talk to people and take them out for run. Might be concentrating too much for a commentary though BC :lol:

You will upset Josh BTW if you say "over" fifteen. (fifteen & over over would be fine though! :wink:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 am

swoakes wrote:As a newbie myself I would also be happy to talk to people and take them out for run. Might be concentrating too much for a commentary though BC :lol:

You will upset Josh BTW if you say "over" fifteen. (fifteen & over over would be fine though! :wink:
Sorry, Josh. Your dad's right, for your enthusiasm should not be curbed(what a pun!), fifteen and over it is.

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 am

I'm always happy to attempt to scare people into competeing. Unfortunately my car has no passenger seat, so may be a little too uncomfy for most....

My brothers car however has a passenger seat and will be at the test days. We'd be happy to take anyone out that wants to, but its a bit of a squeeze as CNH found.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 am

You can take the kids Nick

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Mon May 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Lol. I fit in that seat fine...

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 pm

exactly my point :mrgreen:

I did fit in it 10 years ago...

RSSOC Competiton Sec

Post by RSSOC Competiton Sec » Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Appols for not keeping up with this thread before.
Agreed with the committee on Saturday that we would make these ideas part of Curbs this year:

1. A session in the marque to provie an opportunity for interested parties to find out a bit more about motorsport. I hope we can arrange representation from the sprint and hill climbers as well as the rallying types and the trials mob.

2 An opportunity to have a passenger trip over the sprint course with a range of cars on hand - we seem to have a good number of potential volunteers .

Ideally we would run 1. first and then progresss to the track afterwards. I need to sort out with Paul Maddison how we arrange the timings but I think we maybe aim to finish practice a little early, do the first session over lunch and while to Sabres are doing a turn for their 50th.

There is a suggestion of charging for the track runs but I think I prefere it to either be free or with an optional donation - what are your thoughts.

Please can I have some volunteers to help out delivering these 2 session. Any any thoughts on what to include, how to make it work.
I think I will need:
Cars and drivers for the marque event, along with kit and a willingness to talk over whats involved
Cars and drivers willing to do a couple of runs with a newbie on board.
Other useful stuff might include photos, video etc (assuming i can find something to show it on)

If you are reading this as someone who is interested in finding out about motorsport, what do you want to know and please let me know you're interested.

Cheers
Paul

Competition Secretary
RSSOC 2013

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”