Classic Marques Handicap Challenge

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

RSSOC Competiton Sec

Classic Marques Handicap Challenge

Post by RSSOC Competiton Sec » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 pm

We have been invited to join the Classic Marques Handicap Challenge in 2013.

This is being set up by the TVR Car Club and is intended to run along side existing club championships. It will run to the same handicap rules that we adopted for the SSSC a couple of years ago.

I beleive this is a great idea, will provide some extra competition by pitting our cars against TVRs, TRs and the like. Its also a good way to promote Reliant Sports cars along side marques that may be better known and recognised.

I have not commited us to this venture as I wanted to sound out opinion from the clubs compies and the wider club.

What does everyone think? Some more notes from Steve Cox at TVR CC below,

I have run the TVR Car Club Speed Championship for the last 10 years but for the 2013 season I am starting up a new handicap championship specifically for British rear wheel drive sports cars; the new series is called Classic Marques Handicap Challenge and is sponsored by TVRCC.
The new handicap series is open to drivers of cars manufactured by Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Gilbern, Ginetta, Lotus, Marcos, MG, Morgan, Reliant, Sunbeam, Triumph, and TVR and will comprise 16 rounds. I will be using the same algorithmic handicapping maths and methodology as TVR's other speed series because it makes for such close results. Results for the series will be taken from the official event results in order to compile a mixed marque championship leaderboard therefore classes specifically for Classic Marques Handicap Challenge entrants will not be required.

This new series IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE any existing speed championship - its purpose is to add another dimension to existing speed championships by showing how well competitors from different series are really doing against each other (having levelled out power, weight and tyre advantages).
Events confirmed to date include outings at Lydden Hill, Loton Park, Wiscombe Hillclimb, Blyton Park, Castle Combe, Anglesey - I await further confirmations but suffice to say there will be a series of 16 events where the best 8 scores will count towards each contender's total for the season.

The purpose of this note is to invite MSA speed license holder drivers of Scimitars and Sabres to take part in this new handicap series of events. I see that you are at Castle Combe for the last round of the season on Saturday so if it's OK, I'll come and find you so we can have a quick chat.

Any interest?

Kind regards

Steve Cox
TVR Car Club
Speed Championship Organiser

Competition Secretary
RSSOC 2013

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Classic Marques Handicap Challenge

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 am

Apologies if this obvious :oops: but I am the new boy :roll:

So if a SSSC competitor elects to take part in this championship as well, they would pay an additional fee to the Classic Marques Handicap Challenge, and score points in one or both championships depending on which championship calendar the particular event was on ?

I suppose it would increase the number of events open to a competitor throughout the year by taking part in both championships. As I have to work some weekends, it could mean that I could do more events in a year than I can at present. And could favour those nearer to home !

However there would be a danger that some events on the SSSC calendar could suffer a low turn out if people are off doing CMHC because they may be nearer to home or at more desirable venues etc.

Personally I like the idea of having more events to choose from, but that's simply because this year I missed out on quite a few events because I had to work, and some weekends when I wasn't working there weren't any events to go to :cry:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

J55 JGL
RSSOC Member

Post by J55 JGL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Paul
Sounds good to me , could we not run sim speed championship within that worth thinking about is it not ???
Cheers John

Stirred not shaken!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

this (plus Curborough) would simplify the organisation - are there any down sides other than a loss of in house control?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 am

Hi Paul,
This is at least the 2nd, posibly 3rd time this has been mooted.

Ben Gough was Comp Sec at first time, myself 2nd.

I think its a great idea but there are few big questions for me

There was talk of a cost of membership, possibly both for entrants and the marque club

Most of the mooted championships involved have struggled with numbers much worse even than the rssoc. Steves a good guy and i like his vision, but i feel that if this were 5-10 years ago when the TVR speed championship was at full chat i doubt this intermarque idea would be entertained.

Another major point for me is the events themselves.as many compies already know, we have to use our events and attend them or we dont get invited back. The major events (historical significance) like shelsey walsh, prescott, goodwood etc, would be lost if we didnt attend as a championship one year. If the intermarque uses the TVR championships 'slots' and after a season or two the intermarque fails/folds, then the rssoc and the ither championships will find their original event slots at those venues will have been filled by a long waiting list of other championships as the venues have to have championahips attending to create revenue

Having said all that,

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 am

If a mutual calendar cod be devised, the costs involved could be discussed, and the cross marque handcapping sorted ( the SSSC scoring is basex on the TVR championships version, pioneered by Steve Cox but had to be tweaked for our car differences and we run differing tyre handicaps) then i think it has basis for serious discussion.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 am

Re Our Curborough, Steve and I discussed the possibilty of a one off 'taster' event, inviting all the proposed marques with a view to running it as a season long championship the followinh year. From memory the discussion was too late in the season toarrnage, think the TVRs were destined to be elsewhere the weekend before and after and as such no one would attaend with it not be a scoring round of their championship.
If arrnaged with Steve now, it could be a scoring round of their (and the others) championships, so would be a perfect test for the formula imho.
It would bring potentially an additional 20-40 cars to our curbs imho, if other marques buy in.

If you want further background, drop me an email, i probably have all the old emails archived somewhere

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:58 am

I like the idea of competing against more cars,and a wider veriety, as an umbrella for our own one make series. It would need to be done carefully to keep us seperate, it would be a shame to risk damaging years or Motorsport heritage that the club has by losing the SSSC, it's trophies, and history and by watering it down with non scimitars.

For me, part of the draw to a bigger championship is more potential rounds, this one offers less?

I do like the idea though.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

SL12010

Post by SL12010 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 am

These are the dates

I now have dates, and venues, for the 2013 season, which are:

Saturday 06-Apr-13 Lydden, TWMC

Saturday 20-Apr-13 Gurston Down BARC, SE

Sunday 21-Apr-13 Gurston Down BARC, SE

Saturday 04-May-13 Ty Croes Lancs & Cheshire

Sunday 05-May-13 Ty Croes Lancs & Cheshire

Saturday 18-May-13 Wiscombe Torbay MC

Sunday 19-May-13 Wiscombe Wildlife Autosport

Sunday 02-Jun-13 Harewood BARC Yorks

Saturday 01-Jun-13 Pembrey BARC SW

Sunday 02-Jun-13 Pembrey BARC SW

Sunday 16-Jun-13 Blyton Park Midland Auto Club

Saturday 10-Aug-13 Loton Park Hagley DMC

Sunday 11-Aug-13 Loton Park Hagley DMC

Sunday 18-Aug-13 Curborough RSSOC

Saturday 07-Sep-13 Brands Hatch TWMC

Saturday 19-Oct-13 Castle Combe Bristol Pegasus

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Is that the intermarques calendar Steve?

If so it looks like a lot of those dates are the same as the traditional SSSC dates.

If when Nicks produced th provsional SSSC 2013 calendar, many are the same weekends, then i think it makes the idea much much more viable for scimitar compies. They are attending the event anyway for Sssc points, and can score in the Intermarque series too

Be interesting to see the Sssc calendar whem available

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Provisional 2113 SSOC Calendar enclosed.
Events List 2013.pdf
(72.2 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
A number do co-incide. Black is confirmed, red provisional

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Cheers Nick, didnt think it would be ready yet, good work fella :-)

From the quick squint, it looks like the two series could work pretty well together.

Id better get back in the garage then eh?...

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Chop Chop Darth, I want to be able to see the legend in action and not in your own mind :wink: :lol:

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Bob,

As i keep telling the breadvan compies, those of you that think you are quick, are annoying those of us who are ;-)

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm

At a glance common event are:

Lyden 6th April
Anglesey 4/5th May
Harewood 2nd June
CURBORO 18th August
Castle Combe 19th Oct.

I have no more info than anyone else, but looks like our Curbs is included. 6 common events. I note they do not have a Prescott or Shelsley date which are like Gold Dust. I can see the attraction of another Championship at say Anglesey and Castle Combe where Scimies go well, and some of the extra rounds ,perticularly in the South.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”