Castle Combe 18 October 2014

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Only1cliff

Re: Castle Combe 18 October 2014

Post by Only1cliff » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Well done guys. It looks a great venue and will be on my list to compete at.

Cliff Dowle
1971 SE5 Competition Car!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

efi_sprintgte wrote:Back in the day paddock antics were letting tyres down and pulling plug leads off, now it's going to be stealing lightning chargers and turning cameras off :D haha. Defo worth thinking about
Switching programmable ECUs between wet and dry settings :mrgreen:

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:30 am

scimjim wrote:Switching programmable ECUs between wet and dry settings :mrgreen:

You'd have to explain to most of the compies what an ECU is Jim and what function it performs before they get that one ;-)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:23 am

Ah, I've got one of those things sat on my desk at home... Fills me full of dread everytime I look at it :lol: :?

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 am

Craig is correct slicks are 3.25% on handicap over b's.

Steve C, thanks, I think I have calculations correct now. Sheet will need a re-write for 2015. Sensibly after Compies meet in case we change anything significant. Will publish final 2014 results in a day or so.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:You'd have to explain to most of the compies what an ECU is Jim and what function it performs before they get that one ;-)

Every Crash Unique!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm

'elps car up'ill......

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm

My best (left) vs Jims (right).

I get a better start, much straighter launch than some of the ealier ones. I reach avon rise first, we both turn left too early, putting us in the wrong place / angle for quarry. I also over brake. At the first chicane I over brake, Jim flies past.
Jim atleast maintains if not increases his lead by carrying more through tower, bobbies is fairly equal I'd say, although I slightly over brake and Jim takes a risky acre of curb through the dip. Jim then carries more into and through camp, seal the deal at a shade under 2 seconds up.

Any feedback welcome. Taking the best bits of both those runs, and assuming we get the weather, I'll be aiming for sub 92s next year from more seat time and a couple of tweaks to the car! My run has plenty of room for improvement!

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 pm

You are both smooth and unflustered behind the wheel. As you say, both turn in way too early for quarry which compromises the exit speed a lot resulting in loss of corner speed (hugely important in high grip lower power car).
Both had a good run thru esses although Jim has a twitch, but both could probably carry more speed thru with another few runs practice.
Jim uses a bit more road thru Old Paddock but Nick you have a later turn in and better run through Tower.
Bobbies Jim is a bit more aggressive the curbs are wide for a reason ;-)
Jim has a better run through Camp corner, later turn in giving a later apex than you Nick.

Above sounds negative, but only two dry runs and you both did incredibly well!!
4 dry runs next year and the times will tumble. In the underpowered its all about carrying speed and Combes pretty good for that but needs decent conditions. The car seems nailed!! Little corrective steering needed, obviously well balanced

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Corky wrote:Nick K, I've just run those figures on my copy of the spreadsheet. The result was that you'd have to do a 86.6 against Craig's 84.79. If you were on B's you'd have needed a 89.6. So you're giving away 3 secs with slicks
Steve, I cant see why we wont could get down into the very low 90s with a bit of practice and development next year, so that seems about right. The slicks are imho only marginally better than a good soft 1B, certainly at curbs I didnt think they where any different to the soft Yokos on Jims white racer. Giving away 3 seconds is fine with me, Its still possible to score in the low 20s which is enough to get a good overall result, and at circa £100 a set, ive got £300+ for car development. The idea of spending £100+ per handicap second without improving my scratch time makes my eyes water.

2015 - Get a decent championship under the cars (any mine) belt
2016 - Get the pot. :D

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:You are both smooth and unflustered behind the wheel. As you say, both turn in way too early for quarry which compromises the exit speed a lot resulting in loss of corner speed (hugely important in high grip lower power car).
Both had a good run thru esses although Jim has a twitch, but both could probably carry more speed thru with another few runs practice.
Jim uses a bit more road thru Old Paddock but Nick you have a later turn in and better run through Tower.
Bobbies Jim is a bit more aggressive the curbs are wide for a reason ;-)
Jim has a better run through Camp corner, later turn in giving a later apex than you Nick.

Above sounds negative, but only two dry runs and you both did incredibly well!!
4 dry runs next year and the times will tumble. In the underpowered its all about carrying speed and Combes pretty good for that but needs decent conditions. The car seems nailed!! Little corrective steering needed, obviously well balanced
Craig, totally agree, I felt I was turning in too early a lot, and over braking so not carrying enough pace through the bends, which meant I didn't use all the track. The car went much better on a big circuit than I expected - infact it went better (more competitive) there than it did at a local fiddly venue where the surface was not as good. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the limits with it TBH, especially as its the back that goes first - suddenly. Seat time will help a lot, but I also want to try to slightly move the balance forward, without destroying what we have. The setup is basically as it came out the box; which is pretty surprising!

Your feedback at Combe was a big part of the reason we were able to get going quickly in so little track time.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 pm

the turn in and over braking is purely down to the lack of runs you got on a reasonably dry track, practice was pretty much pointless to learn anything other than which way the track went! Next time there you will be doing 90s in practice 8)

the main thing is the cars not vicious, I has the balance that you need to inspire confidence, and that's something quite difficult to get. It cant be bought, its a combo of a good, well matched set of ingredients and setup well 8)

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:42 pm

For what it's worth:

Quarry is arguably one of the hardest corners on UK circuits. Particularly in a lower powered car where you are trying to carry speed. I have probably done that corner 20 plus times and still find it very hard.

Camp does have a fair influence on lap times on the full circuit, not so much on a sprint.

In a car with your power you probably will find it difficult to get back the loss of handicap times on slicks.This is equal to 32% more power! I can't argue with the economics of it.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Some pics ......... vids to follow when I can work out how :?

James Carter in his impressive skyline engined 5a

Mike Thompson and John Eldridge's Coupe...

Nick Keysers ultra lightweight 1600 SS1....

Craig Hughes filthy but awesome Sabre....

And a few extras.......

Some repairs to a split coolant hose,
This GT6 reminds me of my old 5a

And finaly James Carters no1 fan, Samuel.... :D

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Nice pictures Phil..

Is we sideways yet...

Return to “Events”