Dampers and Springs

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by Andrewsait » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am

Hi Folks,

Another question for you to ponder please. I had noticed the rear dampers were misting slightly and in fact this was an advisory on the recent MOT (which it passed, yippee). I therefore want to fit new rear dampers and springs and the question is which ones.

A previous owner fitted a pair of AVOs on the front and logically I would fit a similar pair on the back. The question then is springs - I want to go for comfort rather than out and out road performance and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on spring rates, etc. and also whether there are dampers that might be preferable to the AVOs.

Any thoughts and comments gratefully received.

Thanks,

Andy

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by peter freeman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:55 am

My MB has Koni's all round - I would just fit the normal uprated 6 springs - from the club traders unless they advise something different

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by efi_sprintgte » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 am

If you want adjustable ride height then the Gaz range is very well priced.

JC

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 am

peter freeman wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:55 am
My MB has Koni's all round - I would just fit the normal uprated 6 springs - from the club traders unless they advise something different
Koni appear to have stopped making Scimitar ones a while back.

AVO did have issues with bushes failing in short order - I think that's been addressed now?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am

As usual I put in a word for Spax, which I have used for 30-odd years no worries.
But if you want to stick with AVO's, I must add that my GTC had them fitted and it was about the only thing on the car that didn't pose a problem :roll:

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Dampers and Springs

Post by Andrewsait » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I contacted AVO via their website and asked if there was any way I could identify what spec dampers were fitted to the car. Interestingly their reply was speak to Nigel at QRG, so that is what I did. He has the AVOs for the rear so I ordered those on the basis all four corners would match. I also asked about springs and as I had said I wanted comfort over stiffness/handling he suggested fitting 5A springs although he did caution that if I had the car fully loaded with four adults and luggage then I would need to wind the springs higher otherwise the car would be against its bump stops.

As it is very unlikely I will ever have the car fully loaded in this way I ordered the four 5A springs, two front and two rear. So now I have fitted new springs to the existing front dampers and new springs and dampers to the rear. While I was at it I had ordered new front and rear ARB drop links as the old ones were looking a little tired which have also been fitted. The only part that caused any trouble were the rear ARB drop links where the spacer tube and bolt had rusted together, both had to be cut off.

I have just completed the work and took the car out for a short test drive. I am very happy with the ride quality, it feels far more compliant and still didn’t roll much when I chucked it round a roundabout.

Kind regards,

Andy

Return to “Middlebridge”