Middlebridge Tyres

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by Djangoz » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm shortly going to buy a set of tyres for MB60 (standard MB alloys) - current ones are around 10y old and the spare dates to 1992!. They all look a bit tired to say the least.
Not sure whether to go for load rating 91 or 95 - does anyone have a view on whether 91s would be adequate or indeed original fitment?
91s can handle 1356lb each, multiplied by 4 equals 5424lb in total against a gross vehicle weight of 3700lb (according to Middlebridge Specification Leaflet)
95s can handle 1521lb each multiplying up to 6084lb in total.
I guess under cornering or braking forces the load on a tyre can increase a fair bit so would there be a good enough safety margin with the 91s?
I suppose the ride would be a little softer with the 91s too.
All opinions welcome!

Andrew
MB60

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by peter freeman » Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 am

I use Uniroyal 91 Rain Experts on my MB wheels In in the winter - in the summer I fit Wolfs because they look better IMO

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by Djangoz » Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks Peter, so in your experience the 91s have been fine.
I'm thinking I might try Michelin Cross climate Plus which score very well as an all weather tyre both in terms of fuel economy and wet grip. However I'm not sure if they are available in 91. If not my second choice looks like being Bridgestone Weather Control a005s with similar scores and definitely available in 91.

Andrew
MB60

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by Djangoz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am

Would any other Middlebridge owners reading this mind just posting whether they run 91 or 95 load rating - even if you don't feel able to give an opinion re advisability of either?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by philhoward » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 am

Given the weight, you should be absolutely fine with 91s. No problem with going to the higher rating ones; the same applies with speed rating. You can go to ones with a higher speed rating which sometimes gives wider options based on availability.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by Will Anderson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:55 am

I am running Vredestein Sportrac 5 at 91V on MB14. Good tyre, if slightly noisier on some surfaces than the previous Bridgestones but summer not all season. I would be inclined to go for the Uniroyals that Peter lists (have them on the 5a but not enough miles yet to fully test them) or my all season favourite, Vredestein Quatrac which I have used on moderns cars many times.

As to loading, MB14 has run motorway speeds fully loaded (the other half tends to pack the kitchen sink!) with 91's from north of Scotland to the Midlands and no issues, so as Phil says 91's fine and no prob with 95's if you get an increase of options.

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1972, P.O. SE5a 1973 GOL 535L;
Middlebridge 14 & 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46 & 67

drcdb15

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Djangoz wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am
Would any other Middlebridge owners reading this mind just posting whether they run 91 or 95 load rating - even if you don't feel able to give an opinion re advisability of either?
Andrew, I have 91V on MB61. They came with the car and look like some sort of agricultural cast-offs (Goodyear Eagle NC, probably a van tyre I shouldn't wonder). It might be worth considering that the tyre sidewall is an integral part of a modern car's suspension system design. I don't know if the Scimitar counts as modern, I find it difficult to believe given the liberal use of hardboard, plywood and similar advanced materials that Reliant or MB ever seriously experimented with different tyres to optimise one particular one with their set up, but some claim to (ask me about my J-marked Jag tyres... or was it a deal to off-load Pirellis that weren't fit for British roads... oh such cynicism...).

Anyway, if one gives them the benefit of the doubt, then for the car hitting any given bump at any given speed, if you stiffen up the sidewall with a higher rating then you shift some of that bump loading onto other parts of the suspension that weren't meant to take it. If you stiffen up yet more parts, such as fitting poly (what? can't recall - amide? = nylon) bushes, in place of the specified rubber, then you exacerbate this effect. You can see that if you take this to its extreme, you will will end up with a suspension set up that is so stiff it won't absorb any of the bump impact energy, which will then be transmitted in its entirety to the rest of the chassis and bodywork. As with most multi-component systems that are (allegedly) in finely-tuned balance, if you change one component you will necessarily impact [sorry...] all of the others. I'm not advocating 91 or non-91, just saying, maybe, if it ain't broke, don't uprate it.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Middlebridge Tyres

Post by Djangoz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted - more or less decided to go with 91s as they seem widely used and no reports of any issues. Might help to keep the ride softer too. Cheers all.

Andrew
MB60

Return to “Middlebridge”