Middlebridge Handbooks and Manuals

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm

There seem to have been numerous references recently (or is it just me?) to the Middlebridge 'handbook'. This worries me, as I wasn't aware there ever was such a beast, and if there is I certainly would like to obain a copy.

Can we establish here a definitive list of published MB technical literature?

I am aware of:
The Illustrated Parts Catalogue, available on the MESS website under 'Downloads'
Middlebridge Service Record Book, same source (incidentally, I prepared a clean copy of this for Will, ie with the service stamps on the final page erased, which seems not to have made its way onto the MESS site, if anyone wants a clean copy)
Assorted electrical and wiring diagrams, same source (I believe Peter Freeman created some of these)
Assorted MB publicity technical specification sheets, same source.
Don Pither's The Scimitar and its Forebears includes similar specification data, presumably taken from the same original publicity.
20th Anniversary Driver's Handbook produced by Mick Gaughran and George Sampford (I believe)

There are of course also the numerous technical hints and tips which have been collated on the MESS website, many thanks to Mick and the various contributors for those.

But as far as I am aware, there is no specific Workshop Manual, or original Middlebridge-produced Driver's Handbook, or any other technical literature produced by MB itself - or is there? (and yes, I remembered to check Dave Poole's site this time :lol: )

If anyone knows of any, and even better, where to get a copy, I'd very much like to know. Thanks

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't know if this might be helpful to others, but when looking for inspiration in the MB parts list I seem to spend a lot of time trying to find the relevant diagram and parts lists. This is mainly because there are 190 pages but no index as to which section starts where. Ad hoc searching is confused by the fact that many sections do not start at page 1. For example, the first page for the engine section, F, is labelled F7, the first part of the clutch section, H, is labelled H3. If you go looking for F1 or H1, you won't find them. Similarly, section G (cooling for the auto box) isn't mentioned at all on the Contents page. Also, to avoid confusion, we use O but not Q, right? Wrong! It's the other way round.

If, like me, this drives you nuts, hopefully this index will be of some help:
table.jpg
table.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 309 times

* There are no component parts listed for the engine or gearbox per se, or for the ignition system components integral to the engine. it is assumed that Ford parts numbers (and documentation!) will apply.

Chris

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Looks very similar to every Reliant index to me?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

scimjim wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 pm
Looks very similar to every Reliant index to me?
except for the added page numbers. Perhaps of more help with the on-screen pdf version.

Chris

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am

Mess produced a handbook which was made for each car number unfortunately this was done before I got our MB so we don't have one either. For the engine you need a Haynes Granada & Scorpio Manual March 1985 to 1994 ( petrol ). The parts manual is probably all you really need ( although as things were changed from car to car its not perfect ) I find a parts manual more useful than a service manual - the two SS1 manuals are a prime example of this.

Return to “Middlebridge”