Removal of anti-theft circuit. How?

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

simmit

Removal of anti-theft circuit. How?

Post by simmit » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:49 am

For MB50 the anti-theft/ engine immobiliser was fitted at factory, 26 years ago, I suppose. At some time it must fail and as the maker (SELMA) is long gone the vehicle will have to be transported back to base to be sorted.

I'm thinking to remove the immobiliser circuit, but don't know the circuit nor how to revert to immobiliser-free starting.

Firstly, comments on advisability of removing the immobiliser would be appreciated.

Secondly, if I decide to go ahead then advice on removal would be equally appreciated.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Removal of anti-theft circuit. How?

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

Immobilisers seem to normally come with black wires and depending on how well it was installed, it may be possible to follow these back, see which circuits have been tapped into, remove the link wires and then remake the original connection. Each one is different so you won't find any specific instructions for it, I doubt.

If you're unsure, then entrust it to someone who is familiar with aftermarket immobilisers to remove it and (if required) fit a new one in its place?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

simmit

Post by simmit » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:16 am

"If you're unsure, then entrust it to someone who is familiar with after-market immobilisers to remove it"

Sound advice.

Thanks Phil. for the warp speed reply.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:32 am

The worry is that it's quite easy to end up starting off OK - then rapidly descend into a pile of random-coloured wires that appear to go nowhere and a car that will rapidly become an ornament. You then may need to enlist the services of a professional who has to spend the first several hours finding out where it went wrong before doing the original job (removing the old unit) - and all coming out of your pocket. At least if you start with a running car, that's what you should get back :D

Removal of old systems is likely to be more common than you think - at least you know what yours is! If the wiring diagrams were available all over the internet, then they wouldn't be much good at preventing theft? Unless it's a damned clever one that talks to a reflashed ECU via CANbus (which wasn't used on the 2.9i of MB vintage) then it will only be well-hidden and camouflaged wires. If it was a good install, then it will be tricky to remove but not impossible - but it's easy to get a feel for this as soon as you find the control box and start tracing it back. A well installed system is probably easier to remove in the long run rather than one that was bodged in - less bad workmanship to undo.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:40 pm

An odd thought, which I wouldn't claim to know the answer to - if the immobiliser was an OEM factory fitted device, then would it's removal constitute an insurance-notifiable modification? (since the insurer's risk assessment of the car is presumably based on it's standard spec?)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:03 pm

I think it's only classed as so if it was Thatcham approved for mass production. That probably cost much more than MB would have coughed up..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

simmit

Post by simmit » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:An odd thought, which I wouldn't claim to know the answer to - if the immobiliser was an OEM factory fitted device, then would it's removal constitute an insurance-notifiable modification? (since the insurer's risk assessment of the car is presumably based on it's standard spec?)
I don't think immobiliser was listed as standard feature in the MB sales literature (or was it?) and if not then t'would be OK to remove.

Lukeyboy46

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Alan,

Phil Cooley in Coningsby spent years fitting aftermarket alarms to cars of the era, he helped me remove mine from my Capri recently.

If you want contact details just drop me a message!

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

simmit

Post by simmit » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Lukeyboy46 wrote:Alan,

Phil Cooley in Coningsby spent years fitting aftermarket alarms to cars of the era, he helped me remove mine from my Capri recently.

If you want contact details just drop me a message!
Hi Luke.
Thanks for the heads up 'though I've already booked the car to have it's appendix removed tomorrow, electrical guys just round the corner. Couldn't get it done on the NHS.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 am

simmit wrote:
Roger Pennington wrote:An odd thought, which I wouldn't claim to know the answer to - if the immobiliser was an OEM factory fitted device, then would it's removal constitute an insurance-notifiable modification? (since the insurer's risk assessment of the car is presumably based on it's standard spec?)
I don't think immobiliser was listed as standard feature in the MB sales literature (or was it?) and if not then t'would be OK to remove.
My question was only prompted by your original statement that:
simmit wrote:For MB50 the anti-theft/ engine immobiliser was fitted at factory, 26 years ago, I suppose. At some time it must fail and as the maker (SELMA) is long gone the vehicle will have to be transported back to base to be sorted.
If you're now saying it wasn't original factory fit, then of course my question doesn't apply?

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:16 am

Factory fit, maybe - standard fit, I don't believe so? As MB's seem to have been built to individual specifications anyway, I can only surmise that it was a requested option by the original owner. After 25 years it would have probably fallen off the Thatcham list anyway - if it was ever on it.

I see no insurance implications there though. Most Insurers probably don't even know what a Middlebridge is - and those that do are probably totally unaware what was standard fit or even what could have been factory fit.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:27 am

Indeed - I wouldn't have bothered to ask the question, had I thought it was just effectively an aftermarket add-on. That wasn't though, the impression created by the original post? :)

....Roger

simmit

Post by simmit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Indeed - I wouldn't have bothered to ask the question, had I thought it was just effectively an aftermarket add-on. That wasn't though, the impression created by the original post? :)
You're right Roger. My original post should have said "I assume" it was fitted by the factory not "was fitted". Apologies for the confusion.

Anyway the immobiliser has now been removed and "wiring returned to standard", said the guy who did the job. He recalls working for a garage that sold Reliant GTE's back in the early 70's so it was a trip down memory lane for him (though I don't think he cottoned on the car is not Reliant). Finally, he did say it was a proper job wired into the loom so most probably it was a factory fit.

Return to “Middlebridge”