MB 22 and Powderham disaster.

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

MB 22 and Powderham disaster.

Post by exeterhibby » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:21 pm

It sounded like a good idea when we booked MB22 into Powderham, perhaps the best show in the West Country, having in 2003, 04 and 05 been in charge as Rally Chairman and a chance to catch up with old friends at the Crashbox Club of Devon. They had a week up in the Scottish Highlands in February where we joined them with MB22 and the promise was it would be on the Rally field in July.

It needed some paintwork on the rear offside bumper which my bodyshop got back to me on the Monday before the Show having done a super job.

As per normal I decided to travel down through the night so left Edinburgh just after midnight on the Thursday and despite a minor problem with a fuse had an uneventful journey down arriving in Devon at 8.30 am on the Friday. We knew where the cottage we had rented for the week was as we had rented a place there for 2 months a couple of years ago, and made our way straight to Uffculme just outside Cullompton.

I remembered the speed hump on the entrance to the complex so slowed right down on the tight turn in , however!....... something caught the offside exhaust and after a loud noise I looked back to see the back section lying across the speed hump and the car now sounding like a motor boat! I thought at first it had just pulled the back section clean off and it would be a case of refixing it back on.......how I wish.

On walking to the rear of the car I could see the nicely finished offside rear bumper was smashed where the back section had been pulled into it before the supporting rubber finally split and allowing the section to hit the ground. The hanger off the chassis for the rubber support was bent. On offering up the back section the pipe was now at 40 degrees to the box and the hanger on the box was bent at 90 degrees to where it should be. A friend at a garage bent the pipe and the supports back for me and then when I again offered the section up it was obvious not all was well at the manifold end. On closer inspection the clamps that held the downpipe on had fractured and there looked to be damage to the manifold also. Good job I was going slowly!

Greenflag came and I was told they could fix it ( which I doubted) and it went off on a trailor. We eventually heard from them that they couldn't fix it on the following Thursday, the day before we were due to return to Edinburgh and they are arranging transport back up to Scotland this week. So we have returned in a hire car and god only knows when I will see MB22 again and in what state!

Fortunately friends we were staying with ferried us around all week and so we were able to get to Powderham.......

Still a very good show with some very interesting vehicles on display. Again there was a very large steam section which was expanding when we were in charge in 2003 again very well organised by Sean. The club stands were plentiful with many clubs showing what can be achieved with their marques with some stunning examples on show.......none more so than the sporting and old skool Fords and the Subarus. Nice to see a Sabre 4 on the RSSOC stand.

Back to MB22 and perhaps when and if it ever appears North of the Border again now is the time to dispose of the original manifolds and put tubular ones on.....I will keep you informed of its progress!

Always ....Sunshine on Leith.....'mon Hibs

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: MB 22 and Powderham disaster.

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Oh dear - you are going to be busy. Must do some work on my MB - worked on the Sabre and the SS1 today so now it has to be the MB's turn.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Whose speed hump was it? I'd be recovering costs from them unless your car is too low to go over a standard size one?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:27 pm

They are supposed to be not more than 4" high ( 100mm ) but our council does them higher than that which is why I always go over them at a angle.

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Thats the sad part Peter, as the turn in was quite tight I was taking it at an angle as slowly as possible. I never thought MB22 was that low .....how wrong was I! :cry:

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your mishap, I hope that you manage to get it all sorted ok.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:31 pm

:cry: Sorry to hear that Ashley, hopefully the damage will not take too long to repair. Do you think it is bad enough to make you miss the Brodie show?

Speak to Mick about manifolds, not cheap but he is happy with his.

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 14, 42 & 67, P.O. Middlebridge 46

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 am

Not sure Will. Got to get the car back up from Devon yet in one piece. It will be taken straight to Edinburgh Sportscars where I will discuss with Andrew what to do with it! Doubt it will be back up here much before the middle of next week. Really depend what has happened at the manifold end as I couldn't have a proper look when it occurred. :(

As they or the bodyshop were not expecting it in, I doubt it will be done for Brodie, but will keep you and the organisers informed.

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 pm

MB22 was trailered back up from Devon the following week. The garage in Taunton had not looked at it but not too disappointed as would prefer to have someone looking at it that know what they are doing!

The insurance company have agreed the repairs that will total four figures and not written it off! It is now in the hands of Andrew at Edinbugh Sportscars as to how quickly the repairs get done. I have asked for a few photographs as I forgot to take any at the time it happened so hope to post them on here as and when.

This therefore means it is unlikely to get up to the Highlands for the Brodie Castle show at the end of next week but am hoping it will be ready for the East Kilbride run it is booked in for in September.

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Just a single photo of the damage so far. From the main fracture line up the whole right hand part of the bumper is freely mobile As shown there are a number of other fractures and cracks. As I said this happened as the exhaust was pulled back through the bumper. Just waiting for an exhaust manifold clamp to be sent up from an old Drivers Club mate in Bridgwater. Funnily enough this friend owned the car in the mid 2000's and prepared the car for its respray at Avon Classics after repairing the front after its smash ( he is also in the trade) in around 2004. The exhaust has been bent roughly back into alignment but final adjustment will have to take place when it is offered back to the car.

Thanks to Andrew at Edinburgh Sportscars for the picture and will post more as I get them.
Attachments
P1050994 (1).jpg
P1050994 (1).jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Try T cut☺

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Looks as though it shouldn't be a very difficult repair for anyone who's familiar with working with fibreglass - the thing that might be more tricky may be getting the bolts holding the bumpers on, undone, if they've rusted into position.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:31 pm

rebel alliance wrote:Try T cut☺

:D

exeterhibby
RSSOC Member

Post by exeterhibby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Bumper now off Roger without too much trouble. 8)

You are right re the repair. No major bits missing so just needs to be stabilised , all areas ground out and built up and tissued etc.
Attachments
P1050998 (1).jpg
P1050998 (1).jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 pm

That's good news :D Personally, while the bumper's off, I'd replace all the fixing bolts with stainless steel (unless they're stainless already), as an insurance for the future :wink:

....Roger

Return to “Middlebridge”