Middlebridge wheels/Locking Nuts/Centre Caps

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm

There’s several different seat types across those you quoted.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:02 pm

I have some that I used on my old GTC, think I still have a New set left that I promised to Will.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

philhoward wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm
There’s several different seat types across those you quoted.
The MB uses 1/2 inch UNF with a 60 degree taper seat. The standard nuts fit a 19mm socket, so the only issues afaics with fitting any other nuts or locknuts are the internal depth (standard is approx 32mm but on my car it looks as if barely half of that is actually needed) and the overall diameter of the nut and/or the locknut key - depending on whether or not the locknut key needs to fit down into the hole in the wheel, or will work with the section of wheel nut that stands proud of the wheel surface. That hole diameter is 26mm (19mm socket approx dia. 25.5mm).

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread for me. At long last I can close it by summarising which parts I've settled on and show what they look like.

First, with apologies to our club suppliers, I wasn't very impressed with what I could see of stainless nuts, they all seemed rather dull to me. Chrome, OTOH, flakes and rusts. Well, time will tell, but I opted for McGard bulge wheelnuts which are hard chromed and - they say - guaranteed not to flake or rust. Bold words indeed. Anyway, for now at least they are nice and shiny. I've got a full set of 16, but just in case anyone fancies me pots an' pans (Princess Annes? surely there's got to be a joke there somewhere...) I've also got a set of chromed Cruize lock nuts. For the record, all of these are 1/2 inch UNF-20 thread with a 60 degree taper seat.

For the caps, again I wasn't keen on the 'standard' caps, which are 76mm diameter and rather 'cylindrical', looking not unlike a cut-off soft drinks can. So I've gone for the 75mm diameter Compomotive caps, which have more of a domed shape. These have only a 60mm diameter recess on the end, which means you cannot fit 'standard' Scimitar or MB logo badges (which are usually 80mm dia) but if you really want the logo there are numerous suppliers on eBay who will do you vinyl stickers to any size you want for modest cost, you just send them a JPG of the logo you want to use. The 75mm caps are of course a little loose in the wheel, so you need to pack out the gap. I'm experimenting with double sided foam pads at present and we'll see how that goes. The supplier told me they typically use neoprene tape wrapped around the base of the cap until you've made up the 'missing' diameter. I haven't tried that yet, I'm working on getting the cap to be nipped in place by the wheel when the wheel nuts are tightened. It's all only cosmetic so none of this is critical.

Costs: McGard nuts: £38 (NOS), Cruize locnuts £40, centre caps £31.50, all prices include delivery. All from eBay, though I did shop around direct suppliers such as Rimmer, Burton, Scarborough, Larkspeed etc. None was as competitive direct as those suppliers on eBay. But be warned, you can get locknut sets for as little as £9 on eBay, and users report they shear at the first removal, so very much a case of getting what you pay for.

Other suppliers part numbers to look for: BEK 150; MGB P3035; Grayston SN16B; AHH 9152. These are alternatives, not McGards.

So here are the components, and the finished article:
McGard wheel nuts half inch 20 UNF.jpg
McGard wheel nuts half inch 20 UNF.jpg (132.51 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Cruize lock nuts.jpg
Cruize lock nuts.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Compomotive caps 75mm.jpg
Compomotive caps 75mm.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 661 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (106.37 KiB) Viewed 661 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (163.95 KiB) Viewed 661 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (149.05 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Return to “Middlebridge”