Scimitar 3D CAD model

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

fightingtorque

Scimitar 3D CAD model

Post by fightingtorque » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi ladies and gents,
About 4 years ago I was training on solidworks and started to make a 3D model of a Scimitar GTE for a bit of fun. I did this whilst on an overseas business trip, and my only reference was a page of hastily made tape measure dimensions and google image search. Anyway, now I have started using this onshape CAD system and I found the old solidworks files and was able to import them. Because they've come from a different CAD system ( that I don't have now ), there is a bit of a limitation to what can be done with the model, and so I might make a new one anyway.
Practically, it might ultimately be of use to have a reasonable model, so I might actually make one of the chassis, engine etc bit by bit. For now, I was thinking it might be fun to get a 3D print made of this body to replace the body on a radio control car that we have here. Not sure what that would cost as I've only ever had small parts made by 3D printing so far.

Anyway, I made this CAD document as a public document here so anyone can register with onshape (free) and view it, make a copy etc.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b0d09 ... e7ece749f2
Gav

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar 3D CAD model

Post by scimjim » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Someone did some really good (hand made) scale trick bodies IIRC?

It'd be great if someone did the 5 and 6 engine bay and chassis on CAD, then prospective engine changes could be modelled with ease?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Yes, I'll work my way round to that. Scimitar engine bay/ chassis should be fairly easy to do from measuring. I've seen some other engine bay & engine examples done by 3D scanning which is quicker but you have to pay someone to do it......... Although it seems it might be possible to do this by hacking an Xbox Kinect device.

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:43 pm

I did a little bit of tinkering on this - I've started re-drawing it in the new programme so that I can properly manipulate the model. Less detail at the moment, but it enabled me to sit it on some wheels / wheel positions that are scaled from a radio control car I have. This is an "Auldey" model which is a Chinese brand that I bought when I used to live there, it is I believe a basic knock off of the Tamiya cars. Wheelbase is about 260mm.

It is a surprisingly good fit, once you scale the Scimitar model for wheelbase (Approx 1/10 - SE5 is 2515mm / 99 inches), the track width and wheel diameters looked quite good. Unfortunately a quick check with the shapeways.com 3D printing service suggests it would be about 130 Euros to get a 3D printed part this size. Possibly if I made it into two parts I could get someone else to make it on an ultimaker 3D printing machine. So it's a bit of a long term project there - at that price I wouldn't want to do it unless it was a well detailed model and even then it's a bit questionable except for the interest value.

Eventually of course, we will all have a 3D printer in the home......

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:53 pm

I started on one years ago when I had the software available at work. Did the chassis which was not great but not too bad but then they made me redundant ( hooray ) and I did not think to keep what I had done.

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:44 pm

I understand that, decent CAD used to be very expensive and cheap CAD just a headache to use (by comparison). I really like this onshape system which can be used for free, and was also shown a demo of auto as fusion last week which includes not just 3D modelling but also stress and thermal analysis, photo rendering and video animation and is a subscription service for £180 per year..... Or free if you have turnover less than 100k . I'll look into that because there might be some useful things I can do with the stress analysis.

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:54 am

Return to “Picture Gallery and Photography”