Editing JPEGS

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Editing JPEGS

Post by 747PETE » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi guys,
now would anyone know if it is possible to edit jpegs? I have bought a new pocket camera(the DSLR and lenses are difficult to take into some places).My old pocket camera is all but worn out,so I have bought a Fuji x30. I usually take a jpeg and Raw file,so I can edit the Raw but have not set the new camera to that setting.Yesterday I set it up for some group shots at work and composed the image and took some shots of the guys,then swopped places and asked one of our young guys to take the picture.The trouble is he has moved slightly,thus the background is not exactly as planned. So,could I mask my "good" shot and mask his shot,to put my background on his snap? It would have been quite easy had I set it to RAW,any help would be great.The picture is a good one (brand new A380 in the background) as many of us to retire very soon.Thanks,Pete.

doncontrols
RSSOC Member

Re: Editing JPEGS

Post by doncontrols » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Pete, the benefit of RAW is that it holds a lot of data not immediately visible, so editing exposure etc is easy. However, jpeg compresses all of that, so it leaves little you can alter. BUT, since you only want to 'blend' what you have, you can use any editing program where you can copy and paste easily. Personally, I use Paint Shop Pro, but a lot of people use Photoshop. There are free programs around, but I don't know their capabilities. In short, though, yes, you can correct your background.

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for that Don,yes thats why I normally take with RAW because there is so much more data(just like old negatives),the exposure is o.k. its just the composition of the background,so it looks like I might be able to get the image I wanted after all :D

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Interesting question Pete. If I'm understanding your description of the problem correctly, then I don't think the fact that the photos are JPEG rather than RAW would make any difference? Raw captures much more information about such things as white balance, exposure, shadow & highlight detail, because it doesn't apply artificial "tweaking" like sharpening, or discarding data when it compresses the image file, like the JPEG does.

Having said that, if what you want to do is move the image, or parts of it, or combine bits of two images, then that should be equally possible with JPEG - I normally use Photoshop Elements 12 (but other programmes are available!)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks Roger,
I usually snap them in RAW and all manual exposure,that along with the meter readings and histogram and just" Mark 1 Eyeball " and then see what I can bring out in "developing". Just as an aside,I bought the camera from Fuji direct,its a factory "refurbished", huge savings and just like new.Very pleased with it considering its size.My other gear is way too bulky to get into work unnoticed.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:07 pm

I use PSP as well - never had any problems with it and its fairly easy to work out all the things you can do with the photos.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm

I've used PSP in the past, and there's nothing at all wrong with it. It's a perfectly good program, and can probably do most (if not all) of the things you can do in Photoshop Elements. :)

However.....

One of my other hobbies is photography, and I belong to a local photographic society. In that sort of field, Photoshop is the de-facto standard. All the lectures that you go to on photographic techniques, all club discussions, and so on, will be structured around Photoshop. If you use anything else, you're really making life needlessly difficult for yourself. Therefore I use Photoshop. :)

But if you're just working on your own, and you want a way to process your own images, then there's no reason why PSP won't work well :)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 pm

747PETE wrote:Thanks Roger,
I usually snap them in RAW and all manual exposure,that along with the meter readings and histogram and just" Mark 1 Eyeball " and then see what I can bring out in "developing". Just as an aside,I bought the camera from Fuji direct,its a factory "refurbished", huge savings and just like new.Very pleased with it considering its size.My other gear is way too bulky to get into work unnoticed.
I must admit I don't use RAW all the time. I tend to use RAW for my more "creative" efforts and stick to JPEG for my motor sports and similar kinds of photography. Partly, that's simply because of the sheer volume of data storage that would be required, if I shot everything in RAW - last Tuesday I went to Goodwood and shot approximately 3.5 GB of (JPEG) images. :)

Also I only use fully manual if I need it for specific effects (e.g. long exposures, or bracketing), or to cope with difficult lighting, most of the time I use some variety of auto (motor sport, for example, might require shutter speed priority auto, to maintain the right speed for the effect I want, but not having to worry if the sun goes behind a cloud). Having very much "served my apprenticeship" back in the days of film and manual cameras, at the start of the seventies, I find it's quite nice to be liberated from all much of the manual stuff, and to be able to concentrate on the subject.

You're right about size - I love using an SLR for most things, but in the end - the best camera is always the one you've got with you! :wink:

....Roger

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 pm

"back in the days of film and manual cameras"................I still have my Pentax Spotmatic with its screw in lens and my old and worn but much loved Nikon FM2n with a set of beautiful AI lenses,that camera is like an old friend :) The beauty of my DSLR is I can still use those manual focus Nikkor lenses with it,lovely kit,all metal and superb to use.I still find it strange setting the aperture with a thumbwheel on the back of the camera instead of a ring around the lens...old habits die hard I guess.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:28 pm

Yes, like you, I've still got a bagful (well a couple of bags actually) of Pentax gear. A couple of Spotmatics with a range of lenses from fisheye up to 400mm (only one zoom, which is a sign of how things have changed :) ). I used the Spotmatics right up until I changed to digital in 2003. I got an adaptor to use the lenses on my current Canon DSLR, but I found the quality wasn't enough (if any) of an improvement, to really justify the extra hassle of using them. I agree about the way tthey're made though, they really feel solid and "engineered" in a way that most modern cameras don't seem to.
I also have a Pentax 6x7 which is something you don't see often - a beautifully-made camera, with great quality from the medium-format image, but you really need to be the kind of photographer who has an assistant to carry his kit! :lol:

In fact, thinking about it, the reason I had two Spotmatics was so I could shoot colour and black & white at the same time, or use high ISO and low ISO at the same time - these days you don't have to worry about any of that, you can change ISO speed on a shot-to-shot basis as required, and you can change between colour and black & white after the event (maybe years after!). How times change! :lol:

....Roger

Return to “Picture Gallery and Photography”