Geoff Cooper - Funeral Arrangements

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim

Re: Geoff Cooper

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Really sorry to hear about this. I know the name toomanysabres very well purely from dropping in here and seeing it across the top in the moderator's list. Sorry to hear the news for all of you that knew him well.

Sad day.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am

I'm personally still coming to terms with the loss of Geoff; someone I had known since my early days with the club (over 20 years ago). His intelligence, knowledge and wit will be sorely missed by myself and Sharon.

The stories of his rallying exploits sometimes verged on the unbelievable, yet were just part of "Geoff". Having his chassis welded back up when it cracked open in Ireland, the recreation of a gearbox bellhousing when he lost half of it in the desert of North Africa, a snapped vertical link in Portugal (where we did the rest of the rally in the hire car..) and the "consequential damage" in Edinburgh where the John Wade race-spec cam in his new engine was blamed for the stripping of the rivets holding the crown wheel in place inside the axle. Even rewiring the rear lights in his Coupe whilst queuing for Scrutineering in Ireland.

Like some others on here, I spent some time in the Navigators seat for him (Circuit of Ireland, Rallye Verde Pino, London to Edinburgh trial) which was an experience I will never forget and will treasure greatly.

I hope you're keeping an eye on us from the afterlife, shuddering at the sight of RYB crimps and still proclaiming scotchlocks to be the work of the devil (which they are).

RIP Geoff. A friend, mentor and genuinely one of life's true gentlemen.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:27 am

Very very sorry to hear this,

big friend to the world of scimitars,

Steve

Electrics can be fun......99.99% of the reasons why your electrical bits don't work...IS BAD EARTHS
1979 SE6A MOD

westy

Post by westy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:17 pm

I’ve just been informed this morning by email about this very sad piece of news.
I just can’t believe it.

Geoff was really part of my “English friends”.
He offered great help when I was looking for my SE5 some years ago, even if we had never met before.
Since then, we used to see each other at least once a year on the “Classic Rally Tours” in France.
He was an expert for mechanics and also electrical matters as everybody know here, but before all, he was generous and had a very good sense of humour.

Gone definitely too early. We’ll miss him a lot.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Rest In Peace Geoff. Vincent

Westy

RSSOC Membership n° 2946 / GTE SE5 1970

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Steve Sims car ready for the Exeter Classic Trial tonight (from Steve's post on Facebook)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.55 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Nice thoughtful touch by Steve there.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

andrewcollins
RSSOC Member

Post by andrewcollins » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Here's a photo of Geoff from 1998. This is the sea front at Tangiers in Morocco on that year's Classic Marathon. A great couple of weeks despite a slight technical issue with the axle preventing a good finish !
Attachments
geoffc2.jpg
geoffc2.jpg (180.04 KiB) Viewed 3319 times

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Very nice of Steve.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Super photo Andrew, a tribute in itself.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Mvtgs1

Post by Mvtgs1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:21 am

I am very sad, he was always available, a very good guy.
The reliant world loses one of its pillars and me, a friend.
RIP Geoff.
Xavier

cobrascim
RSSOC Member

Post by cobrascim » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am

Very sad news.RIP Geoff.
John.

Lost it

Post by Lost it » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

No! Not "Cooperman"!

How long have I known Geoff? Longer than I care to admit? At least 25 years. I wondered why we didn't get a card this year.

The stories I could tell. Last time I spoke face to face was about 2 or 3 years ago, I was recovering from my cancer op and went to visit Geoff. As usual his house was full of entry forms, little boxes of gears for the Road Pilot, diagrams, piles of letters, he never changed. He was in a rush as usual, I think he was thrashing about in a BMW at the time?

The Stories?

Well... Phil has mentioned a certain rally where his car suffered a snapped suspension upright, the one before that he was towed to a village in the middle of no-where in Tunisia, probably by camel when he snapped the bell housing, the slave cylinder was dangling in the breeze and he had also lost the sump nut on the gearbox. Some Arab guy took a set of calipers and measured the sump plug recess. In the morning the same guy had made a plate to fasten the slave cylinder back on and had machined a Sump nut that fit perfectly. Geoff kept that momento for years. Cassic example of engineering using bits you have laying around.

About three months before the incident where he snapped a suspension upright he was on his way home from a Noggin, giving the Scimitar some welly, completely misjudged a bend and tried to knock a tree down with the front. When it arrived at my garage the carnage was complete on the front off side quarter. I probably still have some Photographs.

During the damage assessment I noticed the brake pedal was a little low. He had been braking when he hit the tree and had BENT the linkage between the pedal and the master cylinder. He was limping a bit. I took the linkage to the next Noggin for a "Guess what this is" session. It was shaped about the same shape as a Labrador head. I probably still have that some where... Said to Geoff whilst putting the car back together we really ought to replace the front suspension but he thought it would be ok. Watching the shekels as usual.

We got a hold of Chris Lloyd to see if he had the mould still for the Scimitar SE4 nose section. He did, and had one ready to go that needed a bit of finishing. I told him I'd pick it up after the AGM in my Saab 900. Chris said "You'll never get a nose cone for an SE4 in that thing. If you do you can call me a Dutchman.". I called him"Hans" from that point on.

So we fitted the nose cone, sorted the headlights and Wiring (Actually I think Phil did that?) and Geoff came up with an idea to use a bit of Carbon Fibre sheet to make a sump guard. That made the engine run too hot, and fell off pretty quickly anyway. Painted the car just in time (as usual). And off he went. Came back about 10 mins later, he'd left his bag with all the docs in the garage... I definitely still have photographs of that job. I'll have to see if I can find them out. I presume I'll be able to upload them onto here?

Yes. Geoff is One of a kind. My missus burst into tears when I told her. I'll never forget him turning up at my home in Dorking one day with some paperwork and my missus answering the door in her dressing gown after just getting out of the shower. Geoff was practically running down the path when I got to the door. Mind you Lainie has always been a bit scary...

I let Bev Fawkes know yesterday. Bev was as surprised as I was. You know you expect people to live forever... But looking at this section has made me realise the "old stagers" are indeed getting on a bit now. Geoff had a unique attitude to life, we would all be wise to mimic it. We are only here the once (I said that last time) so make sure you enjoy it as much as you can. Geoff certainly did.

And as usual one conversation turned into another. Bev told me a story about one time he Navigated for Geoff and was shouting at him most of the time because Geoff as usual was about three feet off the guy in front's rear bumper...

Farewell "Coopermagnet". "Cooper man". Mate. May your trunnions never seize.

Pretty sure I took the Red pill.

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 pm

I too only knew Geoff as "toomanysabres" yet followed those posts with great interest.Reading about those exploits just gives an insight to how much of a character he was.Though he never knew me,R.I.P Geoff Cooper my sympathies to his family and friends.

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:26 am

I can't add to what has already been said. The first time I saw his name in Slice was round 1982 or 1983 just before he was Competition Secretary (probably the year I joined). I met him shortly afterwards at Curborough and talked with him about, strangely enough, Scimitar electrics (amongst other things). A man who led a full and interesting life.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Geoff Cooper - Funeral Arrangements

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm

For those who would like to pay their respects to Geoff, Tony has now passed on to me, details of the funeral arrangements. The funeral will be held at 1230 pm on Thursday 9th February at Randalls Road Crematorium in Leatherhead.

Afterwards, refreshments will be available in The Garden Room at Denbies Wine Estate. For those travelling a long distance, who might be looking for accommodation, I believe that Denbies can offer B&B accommodation if required (see website). [edit - I understand there is no more B&B accommodation available on the 8th or 9th]

In order to help with planning, if you intend to attend, it would be helpful if you could let us know, so that we can have an idea of numbers.

Finally, rather than flowers, a donation to "The Prostate Project" would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “In Memory of...”