Philip Young

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

toomanysabres
RIP

Philip Young

Post by toomanysabres » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:30 pm

The founder of Classic Rallying. I don't know many details at the moment but I belive he had an accident in Thailand recently and has just passed away in a hospital there.
What a shock.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Re: Philip Young

Post by chrisgallacher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Oh no, really? That's awful news.

A larger than life character in so many ways who - along with a few key others such as Don Pither - used his force of personality and drive & enthusiasm to get historic rallying off the ground in the 1980s. He always had a soft spot for the early Sabres and Coupes and I know he loved seeing them out and about.

The sport won't be the same without him.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:55 pm

That's very sad news.

RIP

(There's a little more on the Endurance Rally Association Website here

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

MG Mal

Post by MG Mal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:05 pm

I knew Philip Young, and worked with him on the build and prep of the Rally Maestro he organised for the 2012 London to Capetown Challenge.
(Had it not been that I was taken ill in the month prior to the start, I would have been going with them as a back up in my Defender.

I am deeply shocked at the news of his passing, although I class him as a good friend, we had not been in touch recently due to his very busy schedule.

From Classic Car Weekly's FB page.
Keith A: Dreadful news about Endurance Rally Event organiser, mastermind, overseer, and all round top bloke Philip Young, who passed away today following complications after a road accident on the recent Road To Mandalay rally.

He was one of the industry's good guys - hard-working, passionate, and completely committed to the cause. He'll be missed.

A statement from the Endurance Rally Association said: 'A prolific ambassador of the historic rally movement, Philip was a larger-than-life character who pushed motorsport boundaries, organising marathon and endurance rallies all over the globe. A founder of the Historic Rally Car Register, Philip set a world record for driving from Cape Town to London in ten-and-a-half days, and is best known for one of his greatest achievements – the revival of the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge, one of the world’s most epic motoring adventures. His final milestone was gaining permission for 70 rally crews to be the first to cross the land border from Thailand into Burma.'

CCW's sympathies are extended to Philip Young's family.
And Post I

"Pretty Much anything British is "In" for me."

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 pm

RIP

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member