RSSOC International 2016 - Germany

For Meetings such as the RSSOC International

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

toomanysabres

Re: RSSOC International 2016

Post by toomanysabres » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 pm

When holding a conversation with fellow foreign petrolheads the fuel consumption often crops up. Due to the double reciprocal mpg & l/100k its dificult to do the mental arithmetic. Its curious that dividing 282.5 by one number gives the other. In both cases.
Or use this graph.
petrol convert.pdf
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

PeteScim
RSSOC Member

Post by PeteScim » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:59 pm

After the Temp solenoid and Coil fix, thanks to Geoff, Michael and anybody else that offered help, she didn't miss a beat for the rest of the trip. Journey too Rotterdam uneventful, Ferry trip ok except for waking up at 5am to find all stopped for heli medivack of poorly passenger, hope they made it ok, had a fab weekend thanks to all for your company and of course to Albert and Ute for organising a great International.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:38 am

We are at last back home - thanks along with everybody else for the effort and time put in to our organisers Albert and Ute and their family who also chipped in. As you may have read earlier we had a awful trip down to Dover on the east side of the country which took us 12 hrs, added to that the time it took to get through customs was not funny. On the Dunkirk side there were no delays at all - straight off the ship and on to the motorway. Coming back we decided to try coming up the west side of the uk - M20, M25, M40, M42 M6 up to Carlisle and then across to Newcastle on the A69. It started well with a brief customs check at Dunkirk - quick look ( about 2 secs ) at the boot contents and on to the ship. M20, M25 and M40 busy but no real problems. M42 slow ( 40 mph ) but moving. M6 past Birmingham stop start. M6 from Birmingham up to Preston level nightmare. They say the M6 is being turned into a "smart" motorway HA! - stupid people changing it then - stop start for mile after mile. From Preston level onward to Hexham wonderful, three lanes to Carlisle of smooth road ( only dreamt of in Northumberland ) - they are even putting in a new bridge although we could not see anything wrong with the original - perhaps it is the wrong colour. The A69 has also been or is being re-surfaced as far as Hexham at which point the road reverts to the normal NE condition. Still we saved some time - only took us 10.5 hours. The lesson learnt - we will never use Dover again apart from anything else having to pay for the Dartford crossing ( which we did not use ) you have to do on line and if you do not pay you face a hefty fine. On the good side the TomTom we bought prior to the trip was well worth the money - saved Glynis a lot of trouble although it did decide we should go up a farm track in Luxembourg. I am a bit suspect of its speed reading though - travelling in a string of lorries at a indicated speed of 100k ( 62 mph ) the Tom Tom told us that we were doing 54 - call me old fashioned but I cannot think a lorry drivers will be doing 54 when the speed limit is 62. The mileage reading was only a fraction different to the odometer. Lastly my temp fix for the blistered water pipe ( tape and jubilee clips ) worked fine ( see photo ). Anyone know if the hose on the other side of the cap ( bought at Halfords ) is still available anywhere as it is good stuff but I have not been able to find it on the web.
ps down the A1 again next Tuesday to Cambridge - thinking of hiring a bulldozer to get there without traffic stops.
Attachments
fix.jpg
fix.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 511 times

toomanysabres

Post by toomanysabres » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 am

re Dartford crossing if its an event where you will see me or promise to paypal me I can put you on my Dartcharge account. Just need your reg number in advance and you will only have to pay me the discounted fee of £1.67 each way instead of £2.50.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 am

Not a chance of us coming down to Dover again Geoff but thanks for the offer. Given the journey and the cost of hotels it is better for us to do Newcastle to Amsterdam. True the overnight on the ferry is more expensive but the roads and time taken in the UK are off putting to say the least.

Return to “Meetings”