Edinburgh Informal New Year meet/run

For Meetings such as the RSSOC International

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

scotdunc

Edinburgh Informal New Year meet/run

Post by scotdunc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi all,

Well looking around there seems to be a large number of New Year day classic car meets around, but none in Scotland! So to that end.... does any of our Scottish contingent fancy a meet/run to break in the New Year????

I was thinking of meeting centrally again, this time at the Holyrood palace / Scottish Parliament car park Edinburgh. Dates could be either: Thurs 2/1, Fri 3/1, Sat 4/1 or Sun 5/1.

I've also attached a draft for a short drive (A to B) around central Edinburgh, in order to do a bit of "showing off".

So over to you guys to let me know if its something you fancy doing!!!
Attachments
route.jpg
route.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Last edited by scotdunc on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotdunc

Re: Informal new year meet/run

Post by scotdunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Did I post this in the wrong section! Or are we Scots just not bothered about getting out and about at New Year!!!!

sonofparker
RSSOC Member

Re: Edinburgh Informal New Year meet/run

Post by sonofparker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 pm

I would probably be interested.

Max

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Well glad to see someone is Max, do you have a preference for date!

MickP

Post by MickP » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 pm

I am going to say that I will try and make it - but no promises (in my workhorse/"rat" Scimitar).

I will be starting a new job on the 6th, am in the process of moving in to a new house while fixing it up and am trying to get my flat ready to sell so I genuinely am ludicrously busy.

A little wee New Year trip might be just the job. Be warned though that I might try and buy your car from you Dunc.

Michael.

1978 SE6a Auto - off the road for TLC (or sale?).
2007 Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 150 TiD
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Duncan

Sorry for the delay - I've only just seen this (it probably should be moved to the 'Meetings' section though). I'd love to come along, and I can probably twist Kayleigh's arm too. Thursday, Friday or Saturday would suit us.

A meet in central Edinburgh may put a few people off (given previous attempts at this), but in actual fact the traffic shouldn't be too bad, I wouldn't have thought. I like the idea of the drive from the car park and back again (it's a big car park so there should be space). My only concern is that the gate on the way to Dunsapie/St Margaret's Loch might be closed - I think that's only on Sundays, but not sure.

Tom

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Duncan,

I am in the same position as Mick P, I would love to make it but no promises. I am not moving house or starting a new job but I am 3 1/2 hours away on some dodgy roads if the weather turns foul. :D

That's the A95 on my way home from Fife in Christmas 2009 - dicey even in the 4WD. I seem to be a bit of a magnet for snow if I travel a distance Christmas or New Year so you might not want me around! :lol:

No real preference for dates but the Sunday would probably be out for me. As Tom says, maybe a Mod could move this to the Meetings section and see if it picks up more traffic. You could also Ask Greig to email round the Noggin members?

If I do make it it will probably be in the 5a unless I get the interior back in the MB before then - it's difficult to drive without seats! :mrgreen:

Will

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 14 & 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Be a nice little excuse to leave the 'headaches' behind for a few hours Michael. Tom, the entrance from Meadowbank may or may not be open, (although I think that only applies to Sundays). However, there are 3 other ways to get to the palace carpark..... entrance by the Commonwealth pool, or down from Abbeyhill or down through either the Cannongate or Cowgate. So no excuses for not being able to get to it, and as you've said its a large carpark and a great photo opportunity under Sailbury crags or by that abortion of a building.... the Scottish Parliament building...... maybe we could also 'park' at the gates to the palace for a quick piccy or two!
As for a date ..... would people be "awake" for a meet on the 2nd????

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Will, I did take a peek at weather forcasts for Edinburgh on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th..... and it looks like its to be cold, but bright on the 2nd if thats a good day for you.

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 pm

scotdunc wrote:Tom, the entrance from Meadowbank may or may not be open, (although I think that only applies to Sundays). However, there are 3 other ways to get to the palace carpark..... entrance by the Commonwealth pool, or down from Abbeyhill or down through either the Cannongate or Cowgate.
Duncan, the bit I'm talking about is the gate at the bottom of the hill, by the pond, just before you climb the hill up to the loch. It is sometimes closed. I had a look on 'street view' to check, and there are no signs to say when it does close. Pretty sure it's just Sundays though.

2nd January would be fine for me.

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Yes I know the gate you meant Tom. I believe that the road between meadowbank and the palace is shut on sundays, but for some strange reason .... only between 9am - 3pm!!! Anyway, there are other ways in as I said.

Ive just written to Greig Ford, to see if he can put the word out to all the Scottish Central nogginers, so that may generate a few more people.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Moved to "Meetings", chaps..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

sonofparker
RSSOC Member

Post by sonofparker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Any date is fine for me! Hopefully the car will be working this time around.

Max

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:06 am

OK folks, I'll fix the date as Thursday 2nd Jan and meeting from 10.30am onwards with the run starting at 11.30am from the palace carpark. The run (as detailed in my first post), should take 1/2 hour (6 miles) and return to the palace carpark. There is also an option for another short run down to Fisherow Harbour for further photo opportunities and as the harbour is next to a nice bar/restaurant, there is opportunity for food & drink if wanted.

Please post your interest on the list below:

1/ scotdunc - Duncan - Coupe
2/
3/
4/
5/
6/

Toot toot all

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 am

scotdunc wrote:OK folks, I'll fix the date as Thursday 2nd Jan and meeting from 10.30am onwards with the run starting at 11.30am from the palace carpark. The run (as detailed in my first post), should take 1/2 hour (6 miles) and return to the palace carpark. There is also an option for another short run down to Fisherow Harbour for further photo opportunities and as the harbour is next to a nice bar/restaurant, there is opportunity for food & drink if wanted.

Please post your interest on the list below:

1/ scotdunc - Duncan - Coupe
2/ ScimiTom - Tom - 5a
3/
4/
5/
6/

Toot toot all

Return to “Meetings”