RSSOC International 2017

For Meetings such as the RSSOC International

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington

RSSOC International 2017

Postby Elizabeth's dad » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:47 pm

As it's now February we thought it was time to start a thread on the International. Could a mod make this a sticky please?

We have a meeting with the hotel in just over a week's time to confirm numbers, so if anyone wants to attend please send in your booking form and deposit ASAP as once we confirm the room allocation any later bookings would be at the discretion of the hotel.

We will email those people for whom we have an email address directly with information, but as things develop we will also post information here.

Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Jim & Ruta
Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar
Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Re: RSSOC International 2017

Postby Elizabeth's dad » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Can we just remind people who completed an 'expression of interest' form or contacted us to express interest in the International that we still need a completed booking form and payment of a deposit to secure your place.

Many thanks

Jim & Ruta
Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar
Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Postby Elizabeth's dad » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Just in case anyone attending the International has not received emails, please see below emails sent so far:

Whatever route you take through the UK, the Ramside Hall Hotel is really easy to find, being just off the A1M near Durham. If you are travelling through Britain from the north or the south, simply find and follow the A1/A1M until you reach the slip road for the A690 Durham/Sunderland (junction 62) and take this slip road up to the roundabout.
If you are travelling south (ie coming from the north) you will need the FIRST exit heading towards Sunderland.
If you are travelling north (ie coming from the south) you will need the THIRD exit heading towards Sunderland.
YOU ARE NOW IN A 50MPH ZONE.
Just off the roundabout, get into the right hand of the two centre lanes marked for the A690 (the far left lane splits off for the park & ride) and pass under the bridge before turning into the slip road for the hotel. BE CAREFUL TURNING ACROSS THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC.
Follow the hotel entrance road and take the right hand fork to the front of the hotel, we will have a dedicated parking area, look out for my green 5a (assuming it's running!)
We hope you enjoy your weekend and find the accommodation offered by the Ramside Hall Hotel suitable for your needs. The hotel has extensive leisure and golf facilities as well as multiple restaurants. The website is:
http://www.ramsidehallhotel.co.uk/

Although the event does not begin until Friday evening, if you are arriving on Thursday we will be around during the day and dining in the Hotel in the evening. You can spend the day as you wish, including using the facilities of the Hotel (please check for any charges that may apply) or exploring the local area including Durham City itself.
For those of you able to join us on Friday morning, we have two activities organised. The first of these is a visit to the workshops of North East Restoration Club (NERC), leaving the hotel at about 9.30 am. Jim will lead a small convoy of cars to the workshops at Washington, about 10 miles away. We will look around the workshops, look at some of the cars under restoration and perhaps even see and be able to talk to car restorers in their natural habitat! NERC is a club and does not charge entry, but a voluntary contribution would, we have no doubt, be appreciated. We will aim to return to the hotel in time for lunch (please note that lunch is not included within the cost of the weekend).
After lunch, around 2.15 pm we will be collected by bus and taken into Durham for a private guided tour of the famous Cathedral (a World Heritage site) including the 'Open Treasure' exhibition. There is a charge of £10 per person for the tour, which will be collected at the Cathedral. Note that we have a list of those who have expressed an interest in this visit and the bus we have booked can only accommodate these people as anything larger cannot take passengers up to the Cathedral Green. We will return to the hotel at approximately 5.00 pm, which should give you time to relax before the evening event.
'Scimitars in Durham', the 26th RSSOC International will officially begin with a welcome buffet in the Hotel Golf Club House (just across the car park from the hotel entrance) where we can meet friends old and new and you can collect your 'packs' for the weekend.
As usual, Saturday will be largely taken up by a scenic drive through the Durham countryside, the route is approximately 55 miles and you will find details in your pack. We have planned a route which takes in a variety of scenery from fields and trees to dales and moors together with some charming villages, but of course there are also clues to find along the way should you wish. Our coffee stop is in the beautiful medieval village of Blanchland and lunch will be provided at the surprise end point of the run, we are sure you will be impressed! After lunch, you may wish to stay at the destination or if you prefer you may return to the hotel to relax and perhaps use its facilities. Durham itself is near the hotel (the 'park & ride' is just across the road) should you wish to pop in.
Saturday evening, we have a gala dinner in the ball room, ending as usual with the presentation of awards and prizes. There will be a 'British Classic Cars' quiz on the tables to test you and get you talking to your fellow diners, have a go at it, there will be a prize!
Sunday sees us travel to Beamish Museum, where we you will be free to spend the day. Jim & Ruta will lead a convoy to the museum, leaving around 9.45 am for a journey of around 11 miles. We will have a reserved area of parking (Level 7 East Tier) in the public car park. You will be provided with two vouchers to spend in the museum on coffee and lunch. Please note that neither voucher has a refund value (you will not be given change). The vouchers can be spent at any of the Museum's food outlets on site (not the fish and chip stall, which is a franchise and not in the pub). The lunch voucher provides enough to cover the cost of Sunday Lunch should you wish. Unfortunately, the museum does not have the facility to provide a dedicated eating area for the event, so if you wish to eat with friends you will need to make personal arrangements for a place and time.
Ruta and Jim will be near the bandstand in the park off the main town street at 3.00 pm to say goodbye to you if you wish to see them. The Museum closes at 5.00pm.

I have had a couple of people contact me about dress code for the dinner on Saturday evening. I think 'smart casual' covers it. Ruta will have me in a suit because she doesn't get many opportunities to get me out of T shirts these days, but that doesn't mean that anyone else needs to go this formal. Just look respectable please!
We are doing the last bits of checks and arrangements at the moment and visited Beamish for the final time today. The area of car parking allocated to us is at the top level on the right as we enter (I expect to be leading so just follow me). This is the furthest car park from the entrance, so if you are disabled, please continue to the bottom of the hill and park in the disabled bays to the left.
Contrary to the information I gave in an earlier email, the main meal voucher we are supplying can be used at fish and chip outlets should you wish.
I have had a couple of people travelling up contact me with mechanical problems. I have booked one in with a mechanic friend in Sunderland for work on his car on Friday. I only have trade contacts in Sunderland, which is around 15 miles from where the rally is taking place, but if you have problems, get in touch with me and I'll try to be of assistance either individually or by finding a garage that can help you.
Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar
Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Im sure everyone that's going will know already but it may be worth putting the date somewhere Jim (subject title perhaps)?
Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby ScimmyMike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 pm

This is the first I've heard of anything for the Friday after the abandonment of the Aston trip, have I missed emails or something perhaps Jim?
SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer
ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Postby Will Anderson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:00 am

Just a quick post to say a big thank you to Jim and Ruta for the excellent International weekend, great events and venues and they even laid on the sunshine!

Last edited by Will Anderson on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 1989, Middlebridge 1990
Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Postby peterbradbury » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm

I'd also like to add my thanks to Jim & Ruta for the International weekend. It was a lovely venue, the run out was great with some excellent scenery. Thoroughly enjoyable!

60 Austin Seven, 67 Mini Moke, 80 Mini Pick Up, 96 Mini Equinox, 68 Coupe, 87 SS1 1800Ti
peterbradbury
RSSOC Member

Postby peter freeman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am

Good job this weeks weather did not arrive earlier Jim - onward to France next year. Fred I hope will be doing some language lessons - my English is not as good as his.
Attachments
Museum.jpg
Museum.jpg (114.19 KiB) Viewed 349 times
peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Postby tanuki » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:52 am

I cannot believe that last Sunday I was enjoying the sun of Durham 8)
Today is a miserable weather over here, just perfect to try and catch up with my posts :wink:

First of all I wish to thank and congratulate Jim & Ruta for the excellent International '17 ...
it was a brilliant week-end, I enjoyed every minute of it ! Not only the opportunity to discover
this part en England that I had never visited before, but also meeting up with scimitar friends and having
the rare privilege of seeing a herd of over 35 Scimitars ... that's always a special time in the year !
I was also quite happy/relieved/surprised that gold old Purple made it all the way up, then back home
- which was an overall 1,000 miles - without a quirk :wink:

Since I came back home on Tuesday afternoon I had little time to work on my 1,500 pictures :oops:
Just managed to reduce them to a set of ~ 1,000 which was sent to Jim for his records & memories.
I will cut down by another half and will soon be able to post this final set to all the attendees of this rally :mrgreen:
- so if you were in Durham, expect to receive a message from the site Wetransfer ... this will contain a link
that will start downloading the pics that I shall send to you -

For the others, I will put down here a summary of the weekend ... as soon as I master my new account with Postimage :roll:
As a first trial, here is the list of Scimitars that were in Durham

Cheers,
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)
tanuki
RSSOC Member

Postby tanuki » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Saturday 24th, Scenic Drive & Scatter Hunt

The roadbook organized by Jim & Ruta took us around a good section of the Durham county,
mainly to the North & West side of it - if my orientation was correct -

Superb roads - steep sometimes, often narrow - crossing lovely villages ... and a nice long
stretch in the mountain where we could enjoy a bit of higher speed cruising (well, not too
much since one had to watch for the hundreds of sheeps and hikkers on the roadside ...).

A total of 60 miles - at least - which I enjoyed as a sunday drive, following other cars
rather than searching clues ;) Being alone in the car, I did not fancy reading the
roadbook while driving on unknow roads, so I just took it easy and enjoyed the ride !
The weather was brilliant, and I managed to find 1 clue out of 40 by myself, not bad :P

Getting ready before departure:

On the road:

Coffee stop at Blanchland, where Peter & Glynis were our marshals of the day,
nobody got lost and we all enjoyed coffee or tea with cakes :)

Back on the road, stalking a german Scimitar :P

We eventually reached the final destination of the day: Startforth and the Bowes museum

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
tanuki
RSSOC Member

Postby DARK STAR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Great stuff Fred - and thanks for the 1500 photos you sent ;)
Don't forget a french road-trip version ...
Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day
DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Postby tanuki » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Alright Chris ... I'll have to put it down in french as well :mrgreen:
- as well as reports on Laon & Dijon, and I haven't finished the Touratoto - :!:
boy, so much to catch up :roll:
Fred
tanuki
RSSOC Member

Postby tanuki » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Evening gala at the Ramside Hall Hotel:

Those of us who left the museum not too late - between 4 & 5 pm - had a chance
to drive back to the hotel and enjoy a couple of drinks on the terrace before
the evening gala started ;) This is the hotel btw:

The ballroom was set with eleven tables of seven people each, seats being drawn from a hat
- previously of course - ... which saved us the problem of choosing "where should I sit ?"
and gave everyone the chance to meet new faces ;) A quiz was waiting on each table,
and to my surprise I knew 3 answers this time (!), fortunately for me they were related to
famous cars in English TV series - I suspect Jim to have put those just for me :P -

Anyway, the food was good and service pretty efficient, so we could quickly move to the results of the quiz & treasure hunt ... and the designation of the winners for the various prizes ;)
I apologize for the quality of some pics below, my old camera is not good at indoor shots since I can no longer select 'special modes' :(
I trust that you will recognize the winners anyway ;)

A final announcement was then made by myself - and fortunately I do not have pics of this :) - with a quick presentation of next year's IR which will take place in Fontainebleau, since I have taken responsibility for organizing the IR '18 in France :P
tanuki
RSSOC Member

Postby peter freeman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:59 pm

No photos of you Fred apart from one in the mirror - ps you missed the swan.
peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Postby tanuki » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:41 am

peter freeman wrote:No photos of you Fred apart from one in the mirror - ps you missed the swan.

Ah ah ... I know, always on the other side of the camera ... and I am not into selfies :roll: :lol:
I do have about 100 pics of the swan in action - using the multiple shot mode - but they are poor quality :oops:
Here's one just after it caught the gold fish :wink:

Cheers, Fred
Attachments
P1410742.JPG
P1410742.JPG (164.05 KiB) Viewed 153 times
tanuki
RSSOC Member

Next

Return to Meetings