Looking for advice

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Terry Rickard

james couper
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by james couper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Just had a phone call from a friend, who has been speaking to a chap who is having to sell his MGPA and MGYB due to poor health i was asked if i was interested, don't know mush about these models does anyone know what to look out for hope to go and see them tomorrow , both cars have not been on the road for many years i think the chap just liked to re-build rather than drive them. I think both need re-wired / new front lights.
What should i look out for, also are these models any good for modern traffic i don't want something that is not usable, are also what sort of price are MG's going for.
I have no intention in selling my Scimitar.

*JP*

Looking for advice

Post by *JP* » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:29 pm

The PA is a pre war open two seater and will be loved by fanatics of that sort of car but I would say definitely not a day to day useable proposition.

The YB is an early 50s four door saloon,more useable than a PA,but would demand a lot of attention to keep on the road and would be very slow by modern standards.

Neither is anything like as useable as a Scimitar,although both probably worth more,no idea exactly how much but a decent running YB perhaps £5k to £10k in top condition.
A PA ,not a clue,no doubt a LOT more.

The chap would be best selling through one of the MG clubs or an ad on Car and Classic.

james couper
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by james couper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 pm

That was my thinking that they are probably a sound investment, but not really car to take out for a weekly run, which is probably why the chap has never put them on the road, but likes to spend time working / restoring them to a good condition.

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by Rattling » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:28 am

I think that PA s fetch quite a lot on cash and the YB s seem to be on the up too ,but agree with what's been said above,nice to drive to the pub on a sunny day .

Colin

1800 Ti

philynnbob

Looking for advice

Post by philynnbob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am

A546558A-091D-4889-9DDD-CBFB800165F5.jpeg
A546558A-091D-4889-9DDD-CBFB800165F5.jpeg (386.99 KiB) Viewed 810 times
My mates PA ( supercharged) next to my old 5a
PA restored condition ,In the £30000 upwards bracket.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by Terry H » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 am

I'm an MG owners club member if you can send me a good description of the cars with right way up photo's and contact details I can post on the MG forum for you.
Regards Terry H

james couper
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by james couper » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi, Terry
Sorry for not getting back sooner, the chap has got a MGYB, 1953 it looks in condition 2, there is some rust on one or two very small places around about one inch in size at the edges of two panels, should be easily to fix. The wood at the top of the doors needs re-dyeing and varnishing, interior has been re-stored at some point a good clean would work wonders. If these jobs were sorted it would be a original condition 1 car. Engine has been re-stored with new cylinder linings.
However it has not been started for a long time, battery is obviously flat, brakes could be sized. Where it was sitting could not examine the chassis, but he say's it had five coats of paint after a body off restoration.
Part from photos what do you need, do you think it is better to just offer it up as is, or better to get it started and able to move.
If you wish please e-mail me directly.
He also has a 1963 Rover 100, complete, no rust, very solid, but needing total rebuild, plus a 4.4 litre M6 2004 BMW all of which he will have to sell.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by Terry H » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 pm

If you could PM me photo's, estimated value normally ask for Photo's (not that we will be getting an estimated value) of the front, rear, both sides, interior, under bonnet and under car if possible that's 7 - 8 photo's total with a mention of any work completed and work needed, along with some idea of asking price. Contact details would be good but not essential until someone shows interest. I think they would get a better price on the MG forum but of coarse you can also use other sites your not tied to anything. I believe the MG forum is members only, at least it was before I became a member.
I will put some of your last post on the MG forum as soon as I can tomorrow.
Regards Terry H

james couper
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by james couper » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:45 pm

I am going to recharge the battery, or purchase new, is there anything special that i should do to ensure that the engine has oil around it, before starting apart from running it with spark plugs out. Not familiar with this type of engine.
It will be a week or so before i can send any photos as i will not see him till Friday .

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by erikscimitardemon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:55 pm

I have a Wolseley Ten, what is like a twin to a MG YA or YB.
Yes you can run it in modern traffic. It lacks any decent top speed. 65 mph may be possible, but 55 feels like a good advice. Brakes are OK for drums. It is fast enough in city traffic and on country roads. Bad roads, no problem. As long as you don't get tempted to do some fast cornering, you'll be OK.
Maintenance will be the biggest challenge. Parts for XPAG engines (of XPJW being an Wolseley 1140 cc) are hard to get or expensive.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Looking for advice

Post by Terry H » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 pm

James, you have a PM.
Regards Terry H

Return to “Other Car Chat”