Calling Company Car drivers..

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm

turbster wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 pm
:lol: yeah I just had to rely on this to drag me out :roll: :D 0C6A2006-3073-438E-9650-A5B6F6C1E77D.jpeg

:shock: :shock:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 pm
Just a thought Phil, sure I heard there was gonna be a 'commercial ' vesrion of the new discovery if your firm likes premium vehicles. Supposedly devoid of most of the Chelsea tractor poncey trim bits, and with panelled rear side windows so not a car anymore. JLR did one for the early disco which appealed to businesses as it ticked more boxes. Worth a call to the local dealer?
There’s “premium” and “above my pay grade”. It would have to be a lot cheaper than a normal one..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 pm

No pleasing some people :mrgreen:

Plus the new disco does have that funny asymmetric ar5e end :? ...

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 pm

It’s not just me that thinks it’s odd then :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 pm

philhoward wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 pm
It’s not just me that thinks it’s odd then :D
Nope looks like its having a stroke!

scimmy ben

Post by scimmy ben » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 am

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

Alas only 2 seats..which means it automatically gets classified as a LCV. Double cab pickups need to have a payload of 1000kg (some have 1040kg payload as a hardtop is generally classed as being 40kg in weight, so you retain the 1000kg payload).

The Disco is also a 2-seater (hence no issues with it being classed as an N1 LCV). To be fair, the "2 front seats and no rear seats, so it's a van, guv" trick has been pulled in France for years. Was odd seeing a Clio or Laguna with 5 doors but only two seats (plus one hell of a rear load cover) for the first time.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

scimmy ben

Post by scimmy ben » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am

I've also just read that Nene have the receivers in...

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 am

Hi Phil,

you may have made your mind up already but for what its worth...................

i have a fully fuel expensed pickup and have had them for over 12 years. i had a couple of L200 and now have the Ranger. tax wise its a no brainer for me in my situation, obviously people personal situations are different to mine.

the vehicles themselves? they are not a car (the good lady has a merc for "posh" events) but i use mine all the time as the vehicle of choice. the obvious stuff of payload, towing ability, 4WD and flexibility (the inside of the higher models is very good now, plenty of toys if that is your thing). They are not anything like as noisy as they used to be either.

My Ranger (3.2 wildtrak) is not so bad on tyres 50K plus. for longer journeys, if you stay within the law or just above then it is comfy enough and not tiring. i do regular jaunts of 150m plus. but i guess it depends what you compare it to. the L200 was lighter at the back and ate through rear tyres quicker.

differences between the 2? the L200 is more of a 4WD car pickup, whereas the Ranger is more of a 4WD pickup in my opinion. but again, this varies with your view point. the 4WD in the ranger is excellent off road and great in the recent snow, but i wouldnt leave it in that mode when it wasn't needed. the L200 was happy in 4WD most of the time. the L200 was also far more tail happy than the ranger , which feels more "planted" in 2WD.

they are big, well long and tall really, and supermarket car parks at the weekend can be fun. (you can get into a space but not have room to open the doors to get out... :D

happy to tell you my experiences of them if you are interested. but they are not everyone's cup of tea as a main user vehicle if you are doing "normal" driving (whatever that is). i am working in Stoke some of the time too so you are more than welcome to come and have a go if desire.

whatever you decide, have fun.

cheers, Ian.

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Cheers for the info, Ian - much appreciated.

I tend to avoid supermarkets at the weekend/peak times anyway if I can help it (plus we use Ocado a lot of the time for convenience) but if needs must, we have the wife's shopping trolley (Skoda Citigo) which fits into spaces easily. Airport runs aren't possible in the Citigo though and it's a struggle to fit a couple of Labradors in it as well..plus it only seats 4 and for the airport runs I'm sometimes I'll have 4 passengers.

As I mentioned earlier, I rarely go over the legal limits on motorways - too many cameras and it's my licence I'm risking (plus I get paid all travelling time as I'm home-based officially). As long as it's not going to drive me insane at 70-72mph, I'm happy.

Not too fussed about certain toys they come with, although I've become used to heated seats, parking sensors (I notice that rear view cameras either come with, or are a cheap option on most of them) and DAB radio - and Climate Control is nice, but not a no brainer as I still find myself adjusting it (start a journey at 24 deg and I'm at 21 after a couple of hours).

I was worried (on paper) that the L200 might be a bit too slow (I'm only looking at Automatics) being a second slower to 60 than the Navara (and nearly 3 behind the Amarok)? I'm not a fan of making offerings to a deity before pulling onto a slip road... :lol: It looks to be the smallest of those on my short list (Navara, L200, Ranger and Amarok) which might help. I discounted the Hilux as it's only a 4 seater.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:48 am

sorry for late reply Phil,

never had the automatic to be honest but both manual L200 and Ranger have no issue son the slip roads. i use the A500 and A50, M6 a lot and have never been found wanting. may have to think ahead a little sometimes, but never felt the awful feeling of trying to push your foot through the floor to make progress! in fact the L200 2.5 was quite "nippy" if i may be so bold (in a relative way you understand). the Ranger however has a first gear you can ignore unless trailering. (is that a word?)

also had double cabs for both plenty of room in them. the only gripe i forget to mention with the ranger is that it has a heated rear screen on the cab, which is nice but it also means that the rear window does not go up or down. the L200 does/did. that means when you have lengths of pipe/wood etc you are restricted in length to the rear load or the cab. the L200 you could poke longer lengths through the rear window using the load bed and cab interior.

hope it helps a little, Ian.

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am

Cheers Ian - handy to know about the rear window - I was literally just thinking about this! It’s surprising how many times you need to collect a 3m length of “something”..which isn’t an issue with my current estate.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:55 am

Was passed at speed by a nice looking Isuzu Dmax yesterday. No idea if they are any good....

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am

Reviews suggest they’re the “utilitarian” end of the spectrum...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Isuzu and ford had a financial and part/platform sharing partnership at one time, the DMax and Ranger were related iirc, may well still be

Return to “Other Car Chat”