Corkys Sabre Ti - modern diesel discussion.

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Sabre Ti Cheshire Cheese.

Post by Corky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:39 am

scimjim wrote:
Perhaps we should split this discussion out of Steve's project thread? :D
Yes we have gone off topic a touch :lol:

Have you looked at the Q5 Craig? I really liked that. It's quite a bit bigger inside than the Tiguan, but a touch smaller than the Touareg. I also like the A4/A6 Allroad.

I liked my Tiguan, but it was way too small. The A4 has much more boot space, and it's a step up in quality too. The A6 does feel more cumbersome than the A4, but it does have stacks more room. As my A4 is the Quattro version, it has a transmission tunnel between the rear seats which can make it feel a bit cramped in the back (SWMBOs Golf has more room).
I've driven a few A6 and A4/5 , and for pleasure of driving the A4 wins every time, but it does depend on which model you choose. The 2wd versions spin up their wheels in the wet, and the manuals have a cramped footwell. Sports suspension improves the handling as does the 19" wheels, but at a cost of increased cabin noise and vibration over the bumps. So for me it has to be S-Line spec or above with sports suspension, 4wd and 7 speed DSG. The 177BHP diesel auto Quattro avant does 0-60 in around 8 secs, which ain't bad for an oil burning estate car, and it returns about 35-45mpg with my heavy right foot.

Am I allowed to say I like the Q7 ? :lol:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:48 am

You like the Q7? Didn't know you were a drug dealer? :lol:

I'm not an Audi fan overall, not helped by the local dealer (same goes for the Jag dealer) but like certain specs. I will have to have a good look at a Q5 Steve, cheers.
Part of the issue is my Dad had 7 x range Rovers, a discovery, 4 x jeeps when i was growing up so i had my fill of 4x4s as a kid.
Ironic we are all so picky over 'dailys' when we put up with all sorts of crap ideas, poor design and shoddy workmanship from the produce of Tamworth we all so Love!!!

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:22 am

Having 2 vag cars and 2 reliants as a family we are pretty brand loyal and tbh can't see a reason to change.
I love the q5 but yes Craig the q7 is dealer/loan shark/pimp mobile!!! Even has the extra seats for carrage of "staff/property"

Swmbo is sort of looking for a new car but there isn't much that will fill the same hole as the passat 170 sport. But I have sort of convinced her an estate is. Good idea!!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:19 pm

As a few of you know the Skoda Octavia vRS has gone and I now have an Audi A6 Estate 4x4 Diesel in SE Executive spec.

The cabin is a lovely place to be and its a nice motorway cruiser. Its a good looking car only let down by the 17" wheels that come with this spec. Its returning around 40mpg overall which is quite a bit down on the Skoda. Space in the boot is also less than the Skoda which has surprised me as its the same physical size as the bigger Superb.

The Sat Nav is over complicated and it has a few other minor irritations equipment wise. Worst of all for me is the DSG box; don't get me wrong it works perfect but the car is so boring to drive compared to the vRS despite having a bit more power.

I'll stick with it; but it may not make its second Birthday with me as the owner :wink:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm

My old boss thought he was upgrading going from a Pasatt estate to an A6 Avant Ultra.

Within weeks he was regretting it. Much less poke, much less space and a bigger tax bill to boot.

But he had an Audi....or so he kept telling himself. He wished he'd chosen the 520d instead..which is what he'd had a few years previous.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:03 am

The problem with A456 Audis is that you have to spend big bucks to get a car with a bit of poke and decent handling. I've yet to drive one of the 2wd versions that I actually like, and the same goes for the manuals. The DSG auto is brilliant, but feels a bit sluggish in the sub 150bhp A4/5. The A6 I tried was the V6 diesel/auto/Quattro, which made very quick progress in an un-sporty way.

Could one of the mods please move this conversation to a new thread. :mrgreen:

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Corkys Sabre Ti - modern diesel discussion

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:21 am

Split..finally!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:32 am

Cheers Phil :lol:

Steve

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Re: Corkys Sabre Ti - modern diesel discussion.

Post by swoakes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm

The problem I have with my A6 is the disconnect between foot on the loud pedal and the car actually moving at speed (ish) from rest. A few times I have wanted to go at say a roundabout and the delay in response has caused me to brake and abort :?

I have taken to putting the car in sport mode when in traffic to assist with this. This is fine going up the gears but the way the gearbox comes down the gears in sports mode is very irritating.

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:22 pm

I have a similar issue Steve. You get used to it after while, but I tend to have the hill start assist button pressed in, which gets rid if the lag completely.

SWMBOs Golf has no lag at all with same gearbox, but that is a pain in that it can make for jerky starts.

Steve

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:53 pm

swoakes wrote:The problem I have with my A6 is the disconnect between foot on the loud pedal and the car actually moving at speed (ish) from rest. A few times I have wanted to go at say a roundabout and the delay in response has caused me to brake and abort :?

I have taken to putting the car in sport mode when in traffic to assist with this. This is fine going up the gears but the way the gearbox comes down the gears in sports mode is very irritating.
I have exactly the same problem with my Amarok, it's bordering on dangerous it delays that long!! Now I sit there with my left foot on the brake and a bit of throttle applied giving a pretty effective launch control :wink: I imagine that method wouldn't be too effective on an fwd car...

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm sure it's something they've changed in the way they do the DSG programming recently; my Leon does the same (65 plate) but the 2014 Octavia didn't.

Probably to do with emissions in the test conditions :W

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Mine's a 2013 (can't believe its 4 years since I bought it), and it has that delay. As I say, you adapt your style to drive around it, or use the hill hold assist (if fitted).

The good thing is though, when the clutch does bite, it takes off like a rocket no matter how wet the road is. As proved at the very wet Curbs test, I was about 1 second quicker in the Audi than the DET sprint car.

You can't do that in a fwd/rwd even with a manual box. Always looking for the positives :mrgreen:

Steve

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:58 pm

I proudly told the salesman that whilst I grew up on autos (My Dad won't buy anything else) I have a pathological hatred for them so whilst happy to drive one in the demo car I'd been lent, I will be ordering the manual.
Fast forward a couple of days when dropping the car back and I'd been won over despite wanting to hate it so much. The zf 8 speed used in may now, BMs jags range Rovers too iirc and I think, Mercs, is just great. Acts like an intelligent manual, never in the wrong gear and even if in eco gearbox mode (about half throttle movement relative to pedal movement--soooo smooth in traffic or with kids asleep in the car) responds like a scalded cat if a prod of the loud pedal is given if needed to nip out of a junction. To be honest the rest of the car does everything well, much like many others of similar price and ilk I'm sure, but the gearbox has been the stand out part of the car, wouldn't buy a manual again for a big daily, there's no point. For towing you can manual shift to hold it in a gear for engine braking although 2 years in I've been told there's a button for that (have never read the manual...). The demo car came with paddles, which I assumed I'd love, but a few hours driving it and you realise they are pretty superfluous, the gearbox is so good at anticipating the needs it certainly outwits this driver. On the occasion I need to hustle along A & B roads I manual shift in sport mode but after a few miles I generally drop it into full sport auto as I realise I'm no quicker than it is. Interestingly the new Touring launching in July ish has the paddles as standard, you cant have them without but I doubt most people will use them

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I use the paddles occasionally, mainly when towing to keep it in a higher gear. They work in all gearbox modes. But tbh I don't think I'd miss them. 99% of the time the car is in standard auto mode, and 99% of the time it has chosen a gear that I'm happy with.

This conversation is making me have thoughts about buying a car from a rival German manufacturer, could a mod please lock the thread now :lol:

Steve

Return to “Other Car Chat”