Advice needed on Ford 2.0 TDCi

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

littlestwoo

Advice needed on Ford 2.0 TDCi

Post by littlestwoo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 am

I'm going to look at a Ford Mondeo Ghia 2002 TDCi 2.0l 128bhp with 116,000 miles

Main reasons for looking is that it is cheap, local and I need a run around. Increasingly doing more work miledge which ideally I think the Scimitar should be protected from. I've got no desire to own a Mondeo, my search is based only on price, condition and locality.

Not familiar with Ford diesels, I've worked out that it is a chain drive cam and has a dual mass flywheel (the later causes me the most concern)

Apart from the usual car checks, can anyone give me any specific advice on what to look out for or any major known problems?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Littlescim
RSSOC Member

Re: Advice needed on Ford 2.0 TDCi

Post by Littlescim » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi, make sure that when warm there is no noise from the the gearbox that disappears when you put your foot on the clutch! Gearbox not easy to remove, if the niose is still there then could be flywheel ,exspensive. Some factors do a kit to do away with duel mass flywheel.
The engines are usually reliable but will eat cheap heater plugs.

BusaPhill
RSSOC Member

Post by BusaPhill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:39 pm

DMF.
Starter motor especially if used for cabbing
Fuel pump and injectors.
Check engine mounts.

1979 Scimitar SE6A V6 3.1 4speed Auto
2005 Mercedes C320 V6 3.0 7speed Auto (Diesel Daily Driver).

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks both for input. Never owned a Ford diesel so above advice very helpful. Ended up not going to see the car. I rang the dealer and when I asked if there where any faults, his reply was to tell me it is a cheap trade in, I couldn't get him to enter into any discussion about the vehicles condition.

Went to see an Alfa 156 diesel with a fresh MOT with no advisories. Hole in the sill and Rusty floor pan (on a 2005!!!), excessively corroded disks with long pedal travel and drove terrible. I suspect the MOT was suspect, should have at least had an advisory on the brake condition.

Ended up buying an old faithful Rover 75 Connie SE auto diesel with 78k, didn't want another one but this was genuinely in excellent condition and doesn't have a DMF!

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:42 am

littlestwoo wrote: Went to see an Alfa 156 diesel with a fresh MOT with no advisories. Hole in the sill and Rusty floor pan (on a 2005!!!), excessively corroded disks with long pedal travel and drove terrible. I suspect the MOT was suspect, should have at least had an advisory on the brake condition.
Can that be reported on DVLA web-site ? anonomously?

quite frankly we all want the MoT to be valid, fair enough if your local guy tells you that head-light aim is a wee bitty out and knows that you'll fix it when you get home but a hole in the sill/cill sounds iffy,

I seem to think that the disc's condition are no longer a reason for failure !!! (they used to be but somat to do with vented made them change the rules?)
MoT 3.5.1
h. a brake disc or drum contaminated by brake fluid, oil or grease
i. a brake disc or drum in such a condition that it is seriously weakened or insecure

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:10 pm

The rear OS disc I would say was weekend seriously by rust (non-vented) deeply grooved and didn't even clean up when driven. He reconned the sill was passed as it was non-structural, I would have thought it was on a monocoque but ultimately I don't know for definite (was always a fail on Minis). I've thought about making an anonomous DVLA report, will look into it.

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm

littlestwoo wrote:The rear OS disc I would say was weekend seriously by rust (non-vented) deeply grooved and didn't even clean up when driven. He reconned the sill was passed as it was non-structural, I would have thought it was on a monocoque but ultimately I don't know for definite (was always a fail on Minis). I've thought about making an anonomous DVLA report, will look into it.
rear discs don't clean up with use on a Volvo 480 , they go rusty/glazed even when car is in daily use (on two different cars both set up as per the book) :? probably most braking done on front as car is pretty light BUT use of handbrake on the move does help though :D

Like you I've always viewed that sills are structural, but if holes far enough away from 'load bearing' maybe OK ? ? ? ? ?

so either way one or both are an 'advisory'

anyway nothing wrong with a Rover 75 if a decent one, much cheaper the competion :D

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Yes, Rover 75 represents a known quantity :-)

A clean MOT with no advisories is what raised my suspicion, what else is lurking. Not sure if the car was a failure or not, but something was definatrly dudgy!

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I had 2 cars with the Ford diesel, last one did 140 k miles. Neither a problem.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I almost went down this road before Christmas,I ran an early non TDC mondeo for 248,000 miles with no issues at all but these laterones did have some fauts.Its worth joining the MK 3 Mondeo group if you are on the dreaded FB :-) I did and learnt a lot. I bought a Rover 75 diesel instead,I had one for many years,superb and very underated cars..though Honest John has twigged it at last!! Sorry thread drifting but I have run diesels since time began :-)

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/c ... -rover-75/

littlestwoo

Post by littlestwoo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:41 pm

There's a discussion or 2 about 75's being undervalued on the club forum, sounds familiar!
Honest John, Practical Classics, maybe this truly is the time to buy. I was just after a sensible workhorse to lower the fuel bills a little.

Steve Carson - '79 SE6a

Return to “Other Car Chat”