Bond Equipe GT4S.

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

SRF

Re: Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Everything is back on so I have a running chassis with a temporary wooden floor, and one seat. One of the things I could test was the alternator, the output was zero. I decided to have a quick look inside the unit and found one of the brushes was worn half way down and wasn't touching the slip ring. I haven't delved into an alternator before, and after checking the bearings I decided to have a go at repairing it. I could replace the brushes for a couple of pounds, but the rectifier and regulator looked badly rusted so I bought a complete rebuild kit for £20. I don't need the bearings and slip ring so I replaced the brushes, rectifier and voltage regulator. Not a hard job just requires a small amount of soldering.

Image[/img]Image

The different length of the brushes can be seen at the top. The rectifier is on the right and the regulator on the left.

This is the repaired alternator and I am pleased to say it worked ok when I fitted it back on the bond.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:43 pm

The actual bits inside an alternator aren't complicated - it's the way they make them (now) that can cause problems rebuilding!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

SRF

Post by SRF » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:48 pm

I have been slowly working on the Bond in between hospital visits and nursing duties. I know that the sills for the car are from a Herald but a 1" piece is welded in to make them longer. Extending the new sills wasn't a great problem but when I offered them up to the car they didn't fit right. They are screwed to the inside edge of the door tread, but they were too far in. I then found that the tread/step had previously been repaired twice so instead of one thickness of metal there was 3, rust had got between the layers making it even thicker. The solution was to cut the edge off and weld a repair piece in. Whilst I was in welding mode I decided to tackle the nearside door. There is rust along the bottom folded edge so I decided to fit a a complete repair panel. I also decided to remove the glass from the door to prevent welding damage.
Whilst struggling to get the quarter light off I caught the edge of the lowered glass smashing it. I have read that the doors are Herald ones so I bought a replacement glass off Ebay. Sods law it doesn't fit, so there must be 2 versions of Herald doors which one I have I don't know, a bit peed off at the moment

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 am

....Sorry to hear about hospital visits/nursing Ray - I do hope things get better for you both....With regard to Herald door glass - as far as I'm aware there is really only 2 versions; the saloon type has a sharp 90 degree angle at the rear...(I would assume that would be the version in the Bond doors)..whereas the convertible glass 'curves' to accomodate the soft-top frame/hood. The doors themselves are pretty indistinguishable from each other..(with the possible exception of one half of an extra door-engaging mechanism that convertibles have..)
Geoff.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:38 am

Hi Ray, Sorry about the hospital visits, etc, hope it all goes well.

The doors are Herald, but is the glass? I've been doing a little Googling, and I get the impression that the glass may be modified? (subject to the usual disclaimer about info found on the web)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm

I seem to remember that the doors were Herald, but the top edge of the glass was trimmed down to accommodate the roof line . It was probably made specially for the Bond.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

SRF

Post by SRF » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone, your support is appreciated. You are all correct, the glass I have found is particular to Bond and not all models are the same. I have feelers out but I may need to get one made???????

Ray

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Side glass only needs to be toughened - I believe if it's a flat piece a decent glazier should be able to do it - even to a cardboard pattern.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

SRF

Post by SRF » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 am

philhoward wrote:Side glass only needs to be toughened - I believe if it's a flat piece a decent glazier should be able to do it - even to a cardboard pattern.
Thanks Phil, I may have found one, I won't know until later this month. If I can get one made to a pattern that's good news, I just hope I don't break the good one taking it out. The glass is held to the adjusting mechanism with little clips on the reverse side which are very difficult to get off/on, but with the door cut open for the repair panel access is very good. So I will have to weld with the glass in place which means I didn't have to remove it!!!!!!

Ray

SRF

Post by SRF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Well the glass saga continues, my source for a replacement glass didn't pan out. I asked at my local glaziers and they just laughed at me. Anyway late today I may have found a used one.
This set back and domestic medical problems have knocked the stuffing out of me, and I just hope that if I can get a glass, it may fire me up again. Being a sole carer for my good lady has meant I haven't been to a car show this year. Here's hoping things improve for 2016.

Ray

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Ray. Health & medical matters take precedance over everything else, eh? As for the glazers, I would look for another outfit. My local glazers (in Dijon) are proud of the fact they can make safety glass to fit anything, and have frequently made new windows for our fleet of hire-boats to my drawings , with accuracy to 1mm.

-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

SRF

Post by SRF » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Oldconn wrote:Sorry to hear about your setbacks, Ray. Health & medical matters take precedance over everything else, eh? As for the glazers, I would look for another outfit. My local glazers (in Dijon) are proud of the fact they can make safety glass to fit anything, and have frequently made new windows for our fleet of hire-boats to my drawings , with accuracy to 1mm.
thanks for your kind comments.

Well the story is never ending. I thought I had found a window at a Triumph breakers in London, but having messed me about for 2 weeks they finally said they hadn't one. Its disappointing when people promise return calls but never make them. This company failed 4 times. So it was back to the internet, I tried a company many miles away in Dorset called Autoglaze. I spoke to a chap called Cliff and he said they could make a window from a template. They had had problems with mail order, because the usual carriers didn't insure glass items, Anyway he said they had now found a courier who was willing to do the job. He quoted roughly £50, which seems reasonable. I have sent off my template and await results.

On the restoration side I have done some work to the seats, they are in very good condition apart from the base supports. These supports are pirelli type strapping, I managed to get some new off ebay. I followed the original system.

The seats are done and just need fitting later one.

Ray

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:55 am

That seat's come up well, Ray :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:06 am

Nice work! Can I send you mine? :lol:

-Kermit Weeks

SRF

Post by SRF » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated. The latest on the window glass, is that Autoglaze have the template the glass is cut and is away being tempered. They also tell me that they may have a delivery in my area which can include my glass, so progress at last.
In the meantime I have been sorting out the wiring loom. When the car was dismatled the main loom was sliced in half, not a great problem in matching the colours and joing with connectors. The car is based on a Herald with an alternator fitted. but no fuses what so ever. So a fuse box is a must, especially when one of the main feeds has been joined by twisting the wires together with one layer of plastic tape. Where I cut the wire the insulation is melted and the inner wire exposed.

This set up is a fire waiting to happen. Where the control box was situated, before the alternator conversion, the wires are just left so another fire risk. Luckily the loom itself is in good condition so with the correct repairs will be fine

Ray

Return to “Other Car Chat”