Bond Equipe GT4S.

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

SRF

Re: Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 am

scmarf wrote:2 x documents PMed.
Exhaust can be ordered from TSSC. We made one up from Herald and Spitfire parts (see documents) but it is quite noisy so the proper system might be a better bet if you are starting from scratch.
Documents gratefully received.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

SRF

Post by SRF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:47 pm

greeny wrote:Just a thought on the exhaust why not price a longlife one? Branches all over the country and good price too! a number of RSSOC members have used them with no issues!
I have asked for a quote their nearest branch is Chester, not far away. Thanks for the info.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 pm

SRF wrote:
greeny wrote:Just a thought on the exhaust why not price a longlife one? Branches all over the country and good price too! a number of RSSOC members have used them with no issues!
I have asked for a quote their nearest branch is Chester, not far away. Thanks for the info.

Topgear Stockport is where The highpeek lot go.
They must have had a significant amount of money out of us over the years!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

SRF

Post by SRF » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 pm

greeny wrote:
SRF wrote:

Topgear Stockport is where The highpeek lot go.
They must have had a significant amount of money out of us over the years!
Not had a reply, so I might try Topgear Stockport.

I want to get the engine running so I can assess it's condition. at the moment the whole cooling system is dry and appears to have been that way for some time. Could I use waterless coolant without using the preparation to purge the system. It may be an opportune time to change.

Ray

philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Post by philynnbob » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 pm

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Oooh looks tasty - but then with £10,000 spent for the restoration .... :shock:
Ours cost £250. It was the registration number that clinched the deal (KEV 895C)
Respray cost £150 plus another £20 for the bubble wrap around the garage walls.
Happy days :)

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:13 pm

I quite like that, nicely finished by the look of it

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

SRF

Post by SRF » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:01 pm

philynnbob wrote:Have you seen this one on Ebay?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1772615791
Looks a thoroughly restored car, the colour looks good. I hope he kept the original engine after he replaced it. The Equipe has a 4.11 diff which, if it is like the Vitesse makes the engine rev hard at anything over 50 mph. An overdrive like the one fitted to this car is a good adaptation. The only problem is that the world and his wife want overdrive boxes and the prices are high. I have 3.63 crown wheel and pinion which I was going to fit to the Vit but never did, this is another way to lower the revs of the engine. The third option is to fit larger wheels. I believe 15" ones from an MGF fit but that is a big jump.

Ray

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:38 pm

philynnbob wrote:Have you seen this one on Ebay?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1772615791

Hmmm what is the mustard coloured car to the rhs in the first picture :?:

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

SRF

Post by SRF » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:55 pm

I have spent time going through the boxes of parts. I have started an inventory of the parts and what is missing. The main things missing. apart from the exhaust system is the sills. I am hoping that being based on a Herald the standard ones ,which are readily available, will fit. The PO has done some welding repairs to the bulkhead which are to a high standard, but one of the inner sills is only tacked and wants finishing off.

I don't want to get side tracked from finishing the Scimitar, a lot of the remaining jobs are warm weather ones, so I can do a few small jobs on the GT4s.
One job not so small it to lift the body off the chassis, the bulkhead can remain where it is. If my engine crane won't do the job I am going to fabricate an A frame and lift it with a hoist. I can then drop it onto a trolley so it is moveable. I will then push the chassis onto my scissor lift where I can work at a comfortable height.

Ray

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:16 pm

SRF wrote:I have spent time going through the boxes of parts. I have started an inventory of the parts and what is missing. The main things missing. apart from the exhaust system is the sills....

One job not so small it to lift the body off the chassis, the bulkhead can remain where it is. If my engine crane won't do the job I am going to fabricate an A frame and lift it with a hoist. I can then drop it onto a trolley so it is moveable. I will then push the chassis onto my scissor lift where I can work at a comfortable height.
Certainly the outer sills are Herald but thanks to the 'bespoke' construction by Bond, I had to add about 1 inch extra length to one of them :?

I dont think you need a crane to lft the body off - just a couple of friends. It only takes 3 people to lift a Coupe shell!

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, 1985 1300 SS1

SRF

Post by SRF » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:05 pm

scmarf wrote:
SRF wrote:I have spent time going through the boxes of parts. I have started an inventory of the parts and what is missing. The main things missing. apart from the exhaust system is the sills....

Certainly the outer sills are Herald but thanks to the 'bespoke' construction by Bond, I had to add about 1 inch extra length to one of them :?

I dont think you need a crane to lft the body off - just a couple of friends. It only takes 3 people to lift a Coupe shell!

Unfortunately fit strong young men are not in my circle of friends. We are more like last of the summer wine.

Ray

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Local noggin? I've found that a selection of beers is usually enough to muster enough muscle power.

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, 1985 1300 SS1

SRF

Post by SRF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I have found a company that do fibreglass sills. I wouldn't put them on a steel car but may be in keeping with the Bond. They are roughly same price as steel and will be as easy to extend.

Ray

SRF

Post by SRF » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:19 am

I completed the first job yesterday, great access to the engine, you can either perch on the front wheel or use a chair like rotund OAPs do!!!. I removed the exhaust manifold and carefully drilled out the 2 broken studs. I then chased the threads with the correct size tap. I have new studs gasket and brass nuts on order. There are a lot of traders supplying parts for Triumph cars and a few minutes on the internet can save money.

Ray

Return to “Other Car Chat”