Calling Company Car drivers..

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 am

I was loaned a DMax for a weekend and it's was a nice piece of kit, well specced but chunky tyres had a bit more road noise than the more road based treads. Went well but defo more of a 4x4 than a road car.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 am

Tinker man wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 am
the only gripe i forget to mention with the ranger is that it has a heated rear screen on the cab, which is nice but it also means that the rear window does not go up or down. the L200 does/did. that means when you have lengths of pipe/wood etc you are restricted in length to the rear load or the cab. the L200 you could poke longer lengths through the rear window using the load bed and cab interior.
Looks like that's a feature they've dropped from the latest models. A quick google suggests only one has it an an option now (Merc X-Class)..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks Phil,

thats good then. i may be getting another at the end of the year. it is very useful.

by the way i didnt mention that my views are based on doing around 30K miles a year. mostly A roads or motorway. but with a lot of local work and couple of times a month with trailers of various types. so a good mix.

I fancy a look at the Amarok but too expensive for work choice list it seems....

my final thought/statement is I wish they called them something different.... Animal, Barbarian, Wildtrak, Thunder etc... what was wrong with good old L, LX, Ghia or even GTE? :D

whatever you chose i am sure you will enjoy it. i would hate to go back to a car now. the driving position is great and the suspension for today's roads is lovely.

cheers, Ian.

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:06 pm

I've not even approached the subject with the powers that be whether I can actually have a pickup yet instead of a car - but I need to be able to follow it up with a suggestion of (at least) one they will/won't accept if they are willing to accommodate..hence I'm in information collection mode which, if on paper, I think it's workable for me, I'll get some test drives organised and present them with a shortlist.

Sounds like I'm the same - do about 30k a year and similar pattern to yourself.

The Amarok Trendline is only £500 more than the 3.2 Ranger? I have a feeling that has nothing to do with it though - it's all about lease costs, mpg and company contributions to the HMRC that matter to our bean counters.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Tinker man
RSSOC Member

Post by Tinker man » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Phil,

yes you are correct. purchase price is almost irrelevant. its lease and running costs, at least for my company. and of course that consists of lots of things. (was a fleet manager for a large fleet of cars/vans and 3.5T vehicles in my past).

i managed top convince my people on a few points... this isn't exhaustive but may help.

cost effective rental/lease as i could have a more expensive leased car if i wished to
i am a one off in terms of position so setting no "grade precedent" that others could follow
i made a case for the vehicle to be used for others based on site for supplier collections/returns etc (reality is somewhat different) therefore saved some hire costs
it can pull a good sized trailer and we use some relatively large frames for manufacturing that come from relatively local suppliers (Derby Liverpool for example) and it makes cheap transport
as above we can quickly move items for modification or test cheaply (again reality is somewhat different)
it made me happy! happy employee etc
i managed to get it written into my contract when i joined i could have any "type" of vehicle except 2 seater sports. when i joined i wanted a people carrier and these were not an option at that time.

may help...

cheers

If it is made of nuts and bolts I WILL take it apart..... going back together is a whole different ball game

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Given I'm supposedly on a grade relating to a department that whilst I used to be part of, I'm not now (it was disbanded) and I have both a unique role and job title, then I think I'll have the conversations closer to the time. There seems to be the option that if you still don't like the list, then have a word with your Director and get what you want..Apparently, threatening to leave works (but I've already done that once - I wasn't allowed to move into the job role I wanted so I left for 6 months until they they created the role) too.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:47 pm

For my tuppence, we run a Navara as company 'van', and it is almost most uncomfortable thing I've driven since the Regal !!!!

long hauls on A roads up here are less than nice as it jumps around road, every pothole/rough bit etc

it does have MASSIVE grunt off the line but you really only need to use 2nd, 4th & 6th when empty :D

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Alan SS1 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:47 pm
For my tuppence, we run a Navara as company 'van', and it is almost most uncomfortable thing I've driven since the Regal !!!!
Pre- or post-2016 model? I think that's when they changed to Coil Springs all round.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:39 pm

philhoward wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 pm
Alan SS1 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:47 pm
Pre- or post-2016 model? I think that's when they changed to Coil Springs all round.
Its pre 2016 , but as 'private' plate i canna mind, :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Apparently the change to a multi link coil sprung rear axle in 2016 made a big difference to ride quality and comfort.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Bit like vans, due to payload capability they often ride better with a little weight in the rear, but dont think it's a deal breaker. Given that Phil tolerates a Scimitar 'commercial ' vehicle, a 'modern ' commercial will be light years ahead anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :w

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Little update - started roadtesting at the bottom of the pack with a Ssangyong Musso (the dealer is only a couple of miles down the road, plus they're the cheapest by a long shot at c.£20k+VAT). Aside from an autobox that seemed to suffer from an indecisive multiple personality disorder it wasn't too bad apart from the really jittery ride. There's a much improved (in terms of ride quality, apparently) version due out in June which I might try out. Oddest was the "factory" (read: UK importer) hardtop which comes with a sliding front window but no corresponding hatch in the cab (sliding/removable glass)!

Hoping the others around are better based on the current sample of one. As I'm likely to be office bound in the next couple of weeks for a short while, I will try and get some test drives set up with the Nissan, VW and Ford.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Just to put this one to bed really - tried to get a pre-arranged test drive in the VW and after being sat there (ignored) for an hour, I gave up and left. VW can go and fish from now on for me.

It’s all immaterial now as I’ve been given a number of reasons why I can’t have a pickup (HMRC being one...) even if I wanted one, so cue a milk float..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Mits’ PHEV ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 am

Just outside my grade as the Fleet Consultant has been adjusting their internal mpg figure according to what a PHEV actually does based on our typical journeys (and not what the manufacturer says). Nothing really manages to better a real world 50mpg if your journey is a 100-150 mile motorway jaunt with nowhere to charge up when you get there (and assuming you remembered to charge up the company car with your own electricity :roll: which may or may not happen).

I’ve shocked myself, but after a most pleasurable test drive I’ve gone for a Prius :shock:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “Other Car Chat”