1926, Bullnose Morris Oxford 3/4 coupe

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Interesting feedback on the oil issue.
For lovers of old engines, this clip is quite interesting, the owner said it was missing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDtBGoTiQ90
Philip N

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Shame it didn't take kindly to the modern oils :(

3000 miles running in? Blimey :shock: Some race engines don't even last that long.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

jeff hoole
RSSOC Member

Post by jeff hoole » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi Alan
Interesting about the 20/50 oil. As I have just bought a pre war car. I was wondering which oil to use as the po has been using 20/50.
Have you any recommendations for straight 40 oil ?

Jeff hoole

Present :- 2 x 5a 2 x 6a 2 x 6b a gtc & a 68 coupe
1983 380 sl r107

ocheye

Post by ocheye » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Unfortunately HH ran a big end some 1300+ miles into the Round Britain trip and has come home for a rebuild. Needs a new bearing and shell and it probably makes sense to change the rod as it has been subjected to quite a stress. While it is apart I'm going for a rebore and o/s pistons, new bush for the mag drive, lightened flywheel and a balance. Currently trying to find a workshop that I can visit personally while the regrind is being done. I think it needs an offset grinder rather than the 'Prince' type. I hate the idea of sending the crank off and never seeing it again!

alan.wells
RSSOC Member

Post by alan.wells » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi Andy, Sorry you didn't complete your challenge, my engine had rebore, crank reground & balanced, all bearing re white-metaled, flywheel lightened an balanced, head & block scimmed and new 75mm + 30 pistons, the work was carried out by Jel Bearing of York, I will send you an email with more details tomorrow sometime, Ian only does 10 engines per year and he will be taking bookings in excess off the next 6 months.

Jeff,. Send me a pm with vehicle details, my brother 1934 MG PA runs on 20-50 with no problems, pumped water system, the Bullnose water system is gravity circulation and runs just under boiling, thus making the 20/50 far to thin, causing my oil problem
Hope this helps
Regards
Alan

SST 18Ti
Motorhome
1926 Bullnose Morris
3/4 coupe with dicky
( project looking good )
M/N 5637

ocheye

Post by ocheye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi

I've got my crankshaft back and all the big ends have been reground (mainly because of ovality). They decided to just polish the mains as they were pretty good.

I'm waiting to receive a replacement con-rod that I'm going to have re-metalled but have been told that as my others are still very good, I can get away with removing shims and scraping in the white metal (I'll be leaving that to an expert). I thought I'd need to re-metal all the bearings but apparently I don't need to because of condition and plenty of 'meat'. I bow to their greater knowledge.

Still looking for a set of o/s pistons but until I can remove the studs which are very stubborn, I can't take the block to the engineering shop (Lancaster Engines in Morecambe). Once properly checked they will decide how much oversize I need to go or indeed if it is just a question of rings.
I'm hoping that I don't need to go to + 0.060 because they are £200 dearer than +0.030 (They are the same make of piston but different suppliers - the cheaper firm do not have any +0.060's).

I have read a number of articles on upgrading the oil pump (BNMOC mags) but the level of success or failure is very mixed. Do you have any advice on this?

I believe the flywheel on the Flatnose (Cowley) was lighter on later models though mine is the original heavy 'T' section. I'm thinking of having both webs machined down prior to balancing. Did you do both sides or just the rear face? I'm told it can make a huge difference but going too far may compromise hill climbing. Any advice on how much would be gratefully received.

I'll keep you posted re progress

Andy

alan.wells
RSSOC Member

Post by alan.wells » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Andy,
Glad to hear your making progress, now regarding the oil pump, my original engine now fitted has a single lobe on the camshaft to drive the oil pump, which registers oil pressure between 6 & 10 psi when warm and constant, which is about right, now my later flatnose engine which I fitted initially, has a four lobe camshaft to drive the oil pump, the pumps are the same "I think", which didn't register any oil pressure until the engine had warmed up and had covered approx. 10 miles and then it fluctuated quite a lot and not accurate at all.
The only suggestion I have is to renew the ball bearing at the suction end as this may be worn, this was renewed on the original engine before rebuild.
Regarding the flywheel, I had approx. 1. 25 " of metal removed from the clutch end of the flywheel only and then balanced, this reduced the weight from approx 50 pounds to 36 pounds, I think the flatnose flywheel may have been reduced in its earlier life or its original, but don't know. Andy, I'm on Oxford engine not Cowley, but only bore size different, I think
Hope this helps
Alan

SST 18Ti
Motorhome
1926 Bullnose Morris
3/4 coupe with dicky
( project looking good )
M/N 5637

ocheye

Post by ocheye » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Alan
According to the service information sheet CO/5 there is sometimes a problem with wear on the pin and blockage of the holes. I will give my pump a thorough check over and replace the pin.
14 lbs off one side of the flywheel is pretty impressive. I haven't got mine to hand to measure but I think it is the same as the Bullnose (I believe Morris had a lighter flywheel on later models) and I assume the Oxford and Cowley had the same flywheel. I would imagine that removal of the clutch side could also improve oil feed to the corks.
Cheers
Andy

alan.wells
RSSOC Member

Post by alan.wells » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Andy,
page 10 on this thread, shows the skimmed and balanced flywheel, only skimmed on the clutch side, and if your going to replace the oil pump pin, I would also change the ball bearing.
Regards
Alan

SST 18Ti
Motorhome
1926 Bullnose Morris
3/4 coupe with dicky
( project looking good )
M/N 5637

ocheye

Post by ocheye » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks Alan. I will change the ball bearing. That flywheel looks brilliant. I presume you meant skimmed not shimmed or am I missing something
Regards
Andy

alan.wells
RSSOC Member

Post by alan.wells » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Andy, I edited it within the first minute, you must have been fast to read it
regards
Alan

SST 18Ti
Motorhome
1926 Bullnose Morris
3/4 coupe with dicky
( project looking good )
M/N 5637

alan.wells
RSSOC Member

Post by alan.wells » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Bullnosephil, I replied to your pm I received from you on the 21st November, its still in my outbox, you need to log on and check you private messages.
Regards
Alan

SST 18Ti
Motorhome
1926 Bullnose Morris
3/4 coupe with dicky
( project looking good )
M/N 5637

Return to “Other Car Chat”