Bond Equipe GT4S.

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by scimjim » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Brilliant! I've seen plenty of twisted wire bodges but never on an unfused permenant live of that dia :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

SRF

Post by SRF » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:19 pm

After a marathon I have finally got a piece of glass to replace the one I broke. Autoglaze in Wimborne Dorset came up trumps. They made and delivered a one off piece made to a paper template. Not cheap at £76. 72 delivered,but in the circumstnaces worth every penny. This is a decent friendly company and Cliff and Julian went the extra mile to help.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Well done Ray, glad you've got it sorted and can make progress again. It must have been a very anxious wait, waiting for it to be delivered!

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

SRF

Post by SRF » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm

A long overdue update. I spent what time I had in the winter sorting out the wiring behind the dash. All the wires now have bullet connectors and everything is ready to replace the dash when I am ready. I have cut out and then welded repair sections into the skins of both doors. A considerable amount of time has been spent filling and sanding the doors to get them as flat as I could. I want to paint them outside but need a few dry days to do it. I have started on the bonnet. I didn't realise how bad it was until I started. It is big and difficult to move around. I have removed the inner metal frame and braced it with timber. The mudguards are metal and are in four pieces. I have drilled out the rivets and painted them separately. The inside of the bonnet is rough fibreglass so I have given it several coats of stone chip. It looks better and I think I will line it with heat reflective sheet. If. I could just get some settled decent weather the painting shouldn't take too long. We have treated ourselves to a new summer house. I can keep a better eye on my wife from the garage. I haven't told her yet that she will have some freshly painted panels for company soon!!!!!!!!!!!.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:51 am

...The summer house is a great idea. Glad to hear the Bond is progressing...

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:29 am

Love these Bonds , been looking for a GT4 that's the single headlight early model for over a year , do you think I have found one for sale yet. NO , oh well will keep looking.

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:07 am

Just read the bit about glass. I had a door glass for my Sabre copied from a borrowed one at Leatherhead Glass. Cost about £45.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

SRF

Post by SRF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I think I have found why the PO gave up the restoration. He had done repairs to the windscreen frame but got the rake angle wrong. Even though I had trial fitted the passenger door, prior to painting it was a nightmare to get it to fit right. I will have to repaint the areas I have made alterations. If the drivers door fits ok I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel. All the electrics are done. I had to replace both temp and fuel gauges, including a new tank sender. I have also rebuilt the alternator. I just have the reversing lights to connect. I find if I have a wiring fault I can't trace. I just run a new wire alongside the loom. Not concourse bit I don't care.

Ray

SRF

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

This is probably the final update for the the Bond Equipe. The restoration was 98% complete and was sold. The completion was delayed whilst I was waiting for a man to fit a new cover on the webasto type sunroof. I had decided to get an expert to do it, this was because if I made a poor job it would be very visible. I had recently changed the fuel pipes on this car and the Scimitar due to fuel affecting the old pipes on both. I had got pipe suitable for the modern fuels.
This morning whilst I reversed the Bond out of my garage to make room to work on the Scimitar. The car back fired and set off a fire under the bonnet. The fire was in the area of the fuel filter I had recently fitted. I managed to put the fire out with my hose and was just thanking my lucky stars when i noticed smoke coming from the gear lever shroud. I couldn't douse this fire and the fire brigade were called. By the time they arrived the fire had damaged the interior although I had managed to keep it somewhat under control, but the dash and headlining were destroyed.
I have contacted my insurers and it is likely that the car is right off.
Luckily no one was hurt and neither my caravan or Scimitar were damaged. I have found with the new type of hoses fitted to both my classics, both of the correct rating and stamped accordingly, they don't seem to seal as good as the old type. I have used the correct clips instead of jubilees. A lesson to be careful out there.

Ray

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by David Tew » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 pm

So sorry to hear that.

Do you have right of retention on your insurance policy? It probably looks grim at the moment but it might be worth seeing what can be done once the insurance has settled.

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

SRF

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks for your comments David, I feel that sick at the moment, I can't face the prospect of working on the car again. I have thought about the salvage, there are a lot of very good parts on the car but again I don't fancy breaking it up. The big problem is the dash. I am sure they were made by Bond and other Triumph models from the Herald Vitesse range aren't the same. If I could get the parts a quick estimate is north of £1000 just for the dash, it will depend on what the insurance offer is.

Ray

RodH
RSSOC Member

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by RodH » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:57 pm

just to finish off this thread.

A friend of mine was looking for a replacement rear floor for his Bond Equipe. He found an eBay add for a rear body tub for an Equipe.
On arrival at the vehicle dismantlers he found a white Equipe 4S with a burnt out dash ant transmission tunnel. The rest of the car was in extremely good condition and had obviously recently been restored.
The engine, gearbox and wheels were sold as was the bonnet and interior.
The owner of the yard said that he could not sell the chassis because of the insurance companies restrictions. However he sold my friend the complete body including the glass but not the bonnet. Al;so the front and rear suspension and steering. The calipers and disks look new. In the boot were parts for the webasto type roof.
I am reasonably sure that this is the same vehicle. I sympathise with you Ray but rest assured that most of your work has gone to a good home.

Rod
Last edited by RodH on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

82 GTC, 84 SE6b, 77 SE6a,
Saab C900 T16S Vert, 9000 2.3FPT lpg, C900i Vert.

SRF

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 pm

That is almost certainly the one I had. The insurance company paid out the full value it was insured for. It was also the price I had agreed to sell it to a mate for. I had probably under valued it. My mate wanted me to buy the remains and to do the work to bring it back to the condition before the fire, but I couldn't face doing all the work required probably 12 months worth. It would be good financially but I just wanted to move on. I have had a bit of a shock at how prices have gone up in the last couple of years, in the mean time I am doing some work on my Scimitar.

Ray

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Annoying when assessors give a cat B to perfectly restorable separate chassis vehicles.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

SRF

Bond Equipe GT4S.

Post by SRF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 pm

The chassis was in excellent condition it is a pity it has to be destroyed. Whoever bought the engine got a great unit fully converted for unleaded as well

Ray

Return to “Other Car Chat”