Straight Six engine mount

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Well, I managed to replace the nearside mount, but when I'd finally removed the offside (difficult to reach the bolts etc) I found something a bit non-standard! :shock:
Here's the proof, along with the TR6 from the nearside and the Ford part; I decided to put the original one back in as the extra height must be there for a reason.
RH_mount.jpg
RH_mount.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 315 times

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 pm

If your oil filter's in the original position (can't recall?) I think the driver's side is where the height of the engine is most critical. Too low and the filter touches the chassis member, too high and it hits the steering column. So I'm guessing this is an attempt to restore the height of the engine on the driver's side to roughly where it was before the TR6 mounts were fitted, but the near side isn't so critical so it was left a bit lop-sided. Needless to say that's not a very appealing engineering solution!

Let's compare notes at the breakfast meet tomorrow. I think it's either stick with the original-type Zephyr mounts, or use TR6 mounts along with modified brackets (both sides) to suit.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Return to “Early Sabre”