difficult fire up when warm

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

jvasabra

Post by jvasabra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 am

Hello, me again...
Not only the brakes cause a problem but also this firing up problem.
Known already by me for a few years !!! now decided to get rid of the problem.

The car starts and fires up immediately when cold. Ignition is ok , carb is a single Zenith ( original on Sabra).
As long as I keep the car running there is no problem whatsoever. When hot and I cut of f the engine and immediately restarts , it fires up ok. But when I wait a few minutes , fe at a filling station, there is no way of getting the engine on again. Cranking goes fine, no firing up at all. After cooling for , say 15 minutes, it fires up immediately.
I thought of course it was vapor lock, so I bought insulation stuff. O Th Zenith there is normally no insulation between carb and inlet manifold as there is on the SU carbs. Insulation not yet installed.

I had the same problem on my first trip this year, so I planned to wait and have a coffee, but as there was another car with me , my friends proposed to push the car. It fired up immediately, so my conclusion was that this could not be vapor lock then.
I did what follows. I added (taped on)a second coil and connected that one. The same phenomena with the "new" coil ( it is one that was lying around here, not a brand new one). No firing up. I connected immediately the other (original coil) which was cold , and started. The car fired up immediately. So no vapor lock. I did the same test with the other coil connected till hot and identical. connect to the spare one that was cold, and fired up immediately.

What can this be? Or it is by chance? that both coils are defective when hot, I could get a new one and install that, but there can be another reason, which is unknown to me.
Wiring has not been changed for years, never gave a problem. Amps meter shows + charging for the first minutes after starting, then goes to just a little bit of charging ( with no fan nor lights on) as it has always done, battery is ok (3 years old).

I have only ??? for the moment, so any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacques

jvasabra

Post by jvasabra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello,
Strange I got no reply. Was is too easy for you guys? Or too difficult (well.... that I doubt)?
Anyway it is solved. I found a thrid coil in one of my boxes, not a new one, but this one does the job. The car now starts under all circumstances, Coldn warm, very hot, after a short cut off, after the critical 5 minutes,after 10 min and so on. Tomorrow I test drive again, but I feel confident.
I will buy a new coil ( 12V it must be) and keep that one as a reserve.
Kind regards,Jacques

Return to “Early Sabre”