Almost ready for paint!

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Almost ready for paint!

Post by MikeT » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 am

Looking good! 8)

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

Alex B

Almost ready for paint!

Post by Alex B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 am

Terry Rickard wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:01 pm
Hi David,
Looking very nice.
As you are in the Cotswolds you you are probably not far from Yate, so I recommend Rich’s Bodywork & Restorations, who is the sprayer who I used for 'StaR' my SE6a and also used by Geoff Pinch for his Coupé and SS1 and Mike Thompson for his SE6b.
Rich’s details:
Unit 4, Far End Yard, Mayshill, Nibley (between Yate and Frampton Cotterell), South Gloucestershire, BS36 2NS
01454 501161 or 07912 361148
Best Regards,
Terry

Just be cautious, I've had a few of their pictures pop up on my Facebook feed and from what I have seen they do not follow the correct process of fibreglass repairs. Check my post on the rssoc page for the correct process vs the 'bodyshop' way.

Alex B

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Almost ready for paint!

Post by AllingtonGT » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 am

Alex B wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 am
[

Just be cautious, I've had a few of their pictures pop up on my Facebook feed and from what I have seen they do not follow the correct process of fibreglass repairs. Check my post on the rssoc page for the correct process vs the 'bodyshop' way.

Alex B
Alex,
Rich has undertaken work on many different fibreglass cars and will adapt his approach in accordance with the owners budget and requirements. From my personal experience his results are excellent. I have an extremely diligent and fastidious friend here in Bath who had his concours Elan painted by Rich after extensive research of other options.

As you suggest it's always a requirement to be cautious when handing over your vehicle for any paint, but your commenting about the "correct" nature of the "process" adopted based on on pictures appearing on Facebook is perhaps a little unfair, when you aren't aware of the story behind the car shown.

Any renovation will always be a compromise of your hopes, personal choices and the available budget. If you have information that's helpful to any of us supporting painting choices, it would be really helpful (especially for those of us that aren't on Facebook) to be able to read it on the Forum. It's more likely your knowledge, experience and assistance will then be preserved.
Geoff

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Almost ready for paint!

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

Most methods will be better than the process and care Reliant took with 90s SSTs and Sabres!! They wiped most of the rain and green mildew off with a shirt sleeve and sprayed them :lol:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Alex B

Almost ready for paint!

Post by Alex B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm

AllingtonGT wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 am
Alex B wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 am
[

Alex B
Alex,
Rich has undertaken work on many different fibreglass cars and will adapt his approach in accordance with the owners budget and requirements. From my personal experience his results are excellent. I have an extremely diligent and fastidious friend here in Bath who had his concours Elan painted by Rich after extensive research of other options.

As you suggest it's always a requirement to be cautious when handing over your vehicle for any paint, but your commenting about the "correct" nature of the "process" adopted based on on pictures appearing on Facebook is perhaps a little unfair, when you aren't aware of the story behind the car shown.

Any renovation will always be a compromise of your hopes, personal choices and the available budget. If you have information that's helpful to any of us supporting painting choices, it would be really helpful (especially for those of us that aren't on Facebook) to be able to read it on the Forum. It's more likely your knowledge, experience and assistance will then be preserved.
Geoff
I meant no offence, merely giving an opinion from my professional experienced point of view. There is only 1 correct way to permanently repair cracks and crazing in fibreglass, we would never carry out repairs in any other way regardless of budget, although we are well aware there are places that will. As long as the owner knows it's only a cover up that's fine, but from experience this isn't always the case and they believe this is an alternative permanent fix.

For anyone not on facebook, my comment was in regards to the pictures on facebook showing cracks and crazing being covered over with P40 (chopped mat), regardless of the story behind the car, this is not the proper process and will only hold them back temporarily. It wasn't meant to sound unfair I've just seen and repaired many cars where the owner wasn't aware this cover-up had been carried out, which is unfair!

Again not being argumentative, just giving my advice :)

I will post the thread about repairing GRP on here for anyone interested who isn't on Facebook.

Alex B
Avon Classic Cars

Alex B

Almost ready for paint!

Post by Alex B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I've just had my knuckles rapped by the editor of Slice for coming across as having 'sour grapes' against his recommendation, this wasn't my intention, I was merely pointing out that the work I had seen advertised was not the correct way to repair fibreglass, I wasn't advising against using said bodyshop providing the owner is happy with this. I intentionally didn't mention our company initially as I wasn't touting for work. I've only mentioned it since so that members know my credentials.

Just for members information who don't frequent Facebook, these are the pictures showing the correct and incorrect way to repair GRP:

Incorrect, cracks filled over with P40, (chopped mat) on a Lotus that came in for corrective repair:

Correct, cracks sanded back to the mat:

Thank you for reading :roll:
Alex B
Avon Classic Cars

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Almost ready for paint!

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Commenting on repairing old GRP cars is a bit like commentating on someone's else's parenting style, or a womans dress sense--do so at your own peril!!

As for Slice Ed, his resto is unlikely to see the road before fossil fuels are banned, so it's academic how it's repaired :lol: :lol:
(Luv ya Terry :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “Coupé”