Coupe body off

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

backpain
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by backpain » Mon May 29, 2017 3:26 pm

As I continue with restoration of my coupe still at the stripping stage its time to remove the body,,.Read all about this and watch videos so no problem ,,,,well not far off,,, bit short on manpower my wife,,,,son,,,,grandson (age 11) only problem I could see was backend timber was short 6"6 needs 10ft or more, so off we go and what a bugger ,legs off hoist got in way and as expected no room to move the backend and chassis is half out half in .wife calls for cuppa tea,, its hot I and son dripping wet .
The solution is longer wood at back as I expected but who has 10/12 foot of timber lying around, Well I charge off to my shed and rip off one of the beams holding roof up and back to car exchange with short bit chassis pulls out on its dolly wheels ,,,easy,,,, ,slap son on back,,kiss wife,,give grandson a tenner .

As for shed roof it was so strongly built with extra supports that taking one or two out does not hurt john
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG (118.56 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG (121.55 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG (123.71 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

zipperkarting

Coupe body off

Post by zipperkarting » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 am

Great pics but where's the video? Can you post a link to it or is it on the Forum somewhere? :D

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by DARK STAR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Great to see you getting stuck in.
I just seem to get stuck ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

backpain
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by backpain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Sorry no video but good idea...Getting close to putting the body back on,, have enjoyed myself the last couple of months john
Attachments
DSCF0047.JPG
DSCF0047.JPG (122.5 KiB) Viewed 644 times
DSCF0046.JPG
DSCF0046.JPG (126.75 KiB) Viewed 644 times
DSCF0043.JPG
DSCF0043.JPG (244.41 KiB) Viewed 644 times

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

teecee
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by teecee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Nice to see another coupe being restored, I did mine about a year ago with a galvanised chassis etc, spent a fortune. Can you tell me where you got the exhaust manifolds from? or were they with the car?. I have had nothing but trouble with the original old cast manifolds, and have just purchased a set of SE 5 branch manifolds off e bay, but the "experts" tell me the don't fit a SE 4, time will tell. I did exactly the same and built everything up on a bare chassis, and my only advice is don't cut corners as its a real pain getting at stuff when the body is back on. I also replaced all the wiring to the rear of the car but this time routed through the body as the old was caked in oil and grime. I still have a few spares if your short of parts, and I am looking for a bonnet if you know of one as mine is a bad shape.
regards

Tim Crake

backpain
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by backpain » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am

Hi Tim The manifolds came with car. I have found it very satisfying to do a ground up restore its the only way to do a proper job,but as you say expensive and takes time,
I have been lucky with this one its great to work on ,I did a 5a a few years ago it was a pain This Saturday the body goes back on well that's the plan regards john

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 am

Good progress there, certainly since I saw your car when dropping wires off, did you find much repair was required to the chassis steelwork at all?
Whilst the body is off may I recommend fixing some heat shielding to the firewall and tunnel area as well as the exhaust route, I can vouch on personal 'boiled in the bag' experience that it's a good idea to fit if you want to be able to use in comfort over summer months, I'm doing to mine but with body on a whole lot more difficult of course.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

backpain
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by backpain » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Yes have been hard at it ,as for the heat shielding do you mean like a 5a alum panels riveted on ,,may have to postpone putting body back on ,,,if you could advise please thanks

As for chassis repair one outrigger replaced and half a dozen small rust holes all around the back end sorted by a mobile welder I employed easy way to get job done

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Coupe body off

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Take a look at the Agriemach website I bought my stuff from there, appears to be pretty good performace wise

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Return to “Coupé”