12v Battery

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Re: 12v Battery

Post by drcdb15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:, same 5 year warranty
Varta-C6-Silver.jpg
Bosch-S5-001-Car-Battery.jpeg
Can I just raise a general 'alert' about these fine-sounding warranties? Mod, you may like to move this to a new thread as it's perhaps going off topic a bit. Anyway...

Regular readers will know that I'm more than a tad miffed to find the battery on MB61 died without warning recently, after only 16 months' service. It has in it's short life been mollycoddled - perhaps a tad too much - with trickle chargers, being kept in the warm garage, disconnected while standing or charging, regularly charged by running the car either on a run or in the yard every 10-14 days, etc etc - in other words, 'trying to do the right thing'.

Despite this, it died after just 16 months - but no worries, it has a 4-year guarantee, if only I can find the original receipt and paperwork... and... ah, yes, here it is. But wait, what's this in the small print? The warranty does NOT cover 'sulfation'. Hmm, I wonder what that means, exactly... so some internet research produced this: 85% of lead acid battery failures are essentially down to sulfation (http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq16.htm).

But how can I tell if my battery is sulfated or not? Well the supplier (Alpha Batteries) helpfully offers 'return the battery to us and we'll test it'. Oh good, a nice impartial analysis there, then... Or, if I get it tested locally, I can send them the test certificate. Now I don't know about you, but here where I live I am spoilt for choice, there are so many test labs around they're like nail bars, ooh, within 5 miles of my front door there must be at least... NONE!

OK, let's look at sending the battery back to Alpha for their impartial test - their web site says they can collect it by courier, but at what cost? So, I phoned them up to ask: answer "well we can do it for about £20 but just get a courier to take it, it'll be about a tenner" [and Alpha, if you're reading this, I taped the call so I know *exactly* what was said]. Only a tenner? Well, what a bargain - but before I hurry off to my local post office, I think I'll just do a wee check...

Collect Plus, my preferred choice - won't take anything over 10kg - and the 097 battery weighs 14kg without any packaging! So they're out.

The Post Office - medium parcel - up to 20kgs - success! Oh, but no - wet acid batteries are "prohibited items" even if you can find the transit plugs you removed when you bought the battery over a year ago.

I know - Yodel. They delivered my new battery, so they *must* take batteries... but they don't unless you're a registered Dangerous Goods shipper and have a contract wit them.

OK, so poor old Joe Public is going to have a problem sending the battery back - but suppose he could? Suppose he really could find a courier - would it really cost 'a tenner' ? I regularly compare prices between Collect Plus and the post office, and although Collect Plus is frequently cheaper, it's not by much. So the post office is a reasonably good guide to what a courier would charge, just knock off about 10%.

A 14kg battery, packaged to let's say 15kg, counts as a 'medium parcel' under 20Kg - cost: £28.55.

So, even if you *can* find a courier to take your dead battery, it's going to cost you around £25, and then it will be tested BY THE VERY PEOPLE WHO SOLD IT TO YOU, and even if they really *are* impartial, there's still an 85% probability that the battery has failed due to a cause not covered by the warranty anyway. In other words:

THE WARRANY QUOTED BY THE SUPPLIER ISN'T WORTH THE PAPER IT'S WRITTEN ON.

Do NOT be swayed by any warranty given by a mail order supplier - it is completely meaningless. The only way you can enforce a warranty will be if you can cost-effectively take the failed battery in person to the supplier - your local factor or whatever. And even then, the odds are stacked against you that the failure will be down to something you can actually prove *and* which is covered.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Which is why I use Halfords (with trade card) as I've swapped several batteries just before the warranty expires without any problems - and have a selection of receipts on the cork board in the kitchen :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 pm

I also buy batteries from Halfords - only had one fail after three years on a four year warranty - changed it no problem.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:16 pm

I would have no hesitation in buying batteries from Halfords, if I had a trade card. I don't, though, so both my current GTE batteries came from Tayna. Excellent service both times, and not much over half the price. But I accept that it's a gamble - if they don't last four years, I will have lost (though not much, as the replacement will still be cheaper than full retail). :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah, postage, warrany, whatever, Tayna are only in Abergele, I'll just drop it off on my many travels, (I have sites in North Wales as it happens for the next 8 years) I was actually just stating that they said 5 year warranty (probably manufacturers NOT suppliers) to indicate I was comparing apples with apples and not with pears, not buying because of it, my GTE had a Varta fitted and that with my typical usage has lasted 8 years and still going strong when it was sold and I've had many decent brands last 10 years of more so not in the slightest bit worried, it's only £60 at the end of the day!

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm

+1 for Halfords.

And if anything goes wrong, they're local. Just make sure to keep the receipt.

Nigel

Return to “Coupé”