V6 Essex Camshafts

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

teecee
RSSOC Member

V6 Essex Camshafts

Post by teecee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

:cry: Hi Guys, There must be someone out there who knows all about camshafts for the V6 Essex. I purchased a genuine ford camshaft in excellent condition early this year, to replace the worn one in my coupe, at the same time fitting unleaded "D" port heads, inlet manifold, and recon 38 DGMS carb. The guy I purchased the camshaft from said it came out of his mates Scimitar and had only done 10,000 miles.When I got it rebuilt it was running like a pig spitting back through the carb on demand and also backfiring out of the exhaust. I found an article written by Robin Rew years ago that said if you fit a later camshaft into the early "Zodiac" engine you need to change the bottom crankshaft driving wheel (the small one) for one with two dots of yellow paint off a later engine. So I have now done this and its worse than ever and will hardly run.
Is it possible that the camshaft I have fitted is wrong? and out of a 2.8 or 2.9 Cologne engine? Does anybody know if one of these would fit? Unfortunately I did not make a note of any markings on the cam save to say it appears to be a standard ford camshaft that has not been modified.
The symptoms are very much like its drawing air, as it appears to be running very weak, I have done the carb cleaner test around the inlet manifold to see if the revs increase, and checked the emission valve and all appears to be good. I do have an alternative inlet manifold to try however I am not convinced that this is the problem.
If you are able to shed some light on this mystery that's driving me mad, it would be much appreciated.

regards

Tim

rebel alliance

Re: V6 Essex Camshafts

Post by rebel alliance » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Are you 100% sure the valve timing is correct ?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 pm

It couldn't possibly be out of a 2.8 or 2.9 cologne as the dizzy drive is at the opposite end of the engine :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, so it looks like the camshaft is probably a correct one but there might be a cam timing issue? The engine already had a quaife steel timing gear fitted, so now I have fitted the small crankshaft timing wheel with the two blobs of yellow paint, all I have done is ensure that the two centre pop marks were aligned when I reassembled it. Can you advise how I check that the camshaft is correctly timed without stripping two much engine please.
One thing I did note if its relavant is that the replacement camshaft had quite a bit more lift than the original "Zodiac" shaft, I assume this was just Ford's development of the item over the years?

many thanks

Tim

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

It still could be a modified camshaft . Do you have means of measuring the opening & closing times of the valves? On the Burton Power website, you can find the figures for the camshafts they offer, which may give you a guide . Kent cams' website also gives a lot of figures. Whatever, I think you need a calibrated timing disc , not expensive but indispensable if you want accurate measurement.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Tim easy check remove all plugs and one rocker cover turn the engine with a spanner bring one piston on that side up to fireing point and both valves should be completely shut that is rockers loose hope that makes sense.

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:01 pm

Only other thing are plug leads on right?

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Tim
You have described exactly what happens when the timing is out.
Have you checked the dizzy position and the points gap, also check the bob weights are free and you can get advance with them.

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

nickm

Post by nickm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Make sure you align the cam wheel dot to the correct crank dot[I can't remember which one].
I think they had two dots on the crank wheel because one was for the balance shaft on the V4 engine.
Nick

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:50 am

Problem sorted, the camshaft was good the cam timing ok it was the distributor. Starts ok but once it gets up to temperature starts to run rough and misfire this is with a brand new module from one of the ebay suppliers. So we fitted a spare dizzy with original motocraft module and bingo runs well, test drive round the block and it was spinning the rear wheels when floored on very wet road, rebuild seems to have given it a lot more grunt.
Thanks to everyone who helped
Tim

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Tim

Just re read your post and can`t see any reference to "Motorcraft module"????, until your last post.

The Essex was just points and condenser, the 2.8/2.9 uses a module, so what dizzy have you in the engine??

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Mark, Just a standard Motocraft dissy but it has a black module in it which I was advised was an original fitment? I am only borrowing it at present until I get my own fixed/replaced.

Tim

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Tim
If it`s Motorcraft then it MAY JUST be from the South African Essex.

In all my time working on Essex I have only ever come across Aftermarket upgrades on V6 Motorcraft.

Hey Ho, if it works then all ok.

teecee
RSSOC Member

V6 Essex Camshafts

Post by teecee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Guys, At long last after a ruined show season, the beast is sorted. Despite lots of local knowledge we struggled to find the problem (problems) so I took it down to RE Performance Centre at Bury. Ken the owner had done cars for me at least 15 years ago, and has the knowledge to properly set up carburetors. The first fault was the inlet manifold was drawing air, this was due to the "cork" gaskets holding it off and not letting it seat, then a power run diagnosed that the jetting was not correct for my engine, and the expensive new electric fuel pump could not keep up. So re-jetted the carb and two pumps in tandem for now. Final power run high rev misfire, the cheap module that we all fit to do away with the points and condenser was rubbish and at high revs and advance was trying to fire two cylinders at once. So points and condenser back in for now till a decent Luminition system can be fitted. Finished off with approx 110 bhp at the wheels which is quite good for a standard Essex and the car runs better than ever. If you need your car setting up or just sorting out I can recommend Ken at RE Performance in Bury.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

V6 Essex Camshafts

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Where was the inlet manifold gasket from Tim? What module did you have on the dizzy - accuspark? And what type of electric pump is it? I had a new facet cube fail after a few hours running and wouldn't touch them again.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Coupé”