made it through winter

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Chenzo1331

made it through winter

Post by Chenzo1331 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Just an update on my car really.

After a long winter as an everyday car, my coupe has gone through an mot with no advisories at all :).
Other then a brake failure whilst driving 117 miles to milton keynes, she really has been a pleasure to drive.
Not done much to her recently other then maintanance work and a couple of new brake cylinders. But am over the moon shes performed so well and the se5 rear axle i modded and fitted has had 0 issues.

I also mounted a couple of laptop style, silent running fans into the passengers and drivers foot wells (ready for hot days in traffic) and replaced the old style fuse box with a blade fuse one, replaced a ton of wireing and moved my brackets on my seats so they go back further (rear seat now useless).

Im now toying with the idea of bonnet louvers and a re-spruce of the interior.
All in all, loveing being a scimitar owner and looking forward to the next curbs :)

1968 Scimitar SE4a/SE5 hybrid
1991 Celica GT
2005 Peugeot 407

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: made it through winter

Post by peter freeman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Bonnet louvers will do nothing for the cooling apart from when you are at a standstill as above the bonnet is a positive pressure area when the car is moving. I have found that making sure there is no escape path for air in front of the radiator made a big difference to the engine temp when moving. As for the rear seats did you have anyone who could sit in them before you moved the front seats back - I have never seen anyone in the back of a Coupe although I suspect one could fit in sideways if they were double jointed.

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm

I believe also if you cut away some of the inner wheel arch thin panel bit at the back of the wheels it will increase the escape path area for the hot air.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:46 pm

I sat on the back seat of Geoffs Coupe complete with roll cage

Not for more than a quarter of an hour or so at Curborough

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:36 am

Well done on getting the MOT! :D Good to hear that the car's still running well, and catching-up with the car, and you at Curbs, if not before :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:38 am

Do you have an electric fan? Worth fitting (with thermostat) if not.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Chenzo1331

Post by Chenzo1331 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:30 pm

Sorry for late reply.. been pushing it on the car.. just finished this evenings shift on her :). Yeah, got kenlowe fitted. Heat issues sorted now... then i had the stupid idea of wireing in a modern stereo and amp :(...
Its been emotional!
Started with head unit and door speakers.. managed to splice the harness and get all working fine after 5 hours of playing.
Then fitted an amp and a further 2 rear speakers and a tiny sub to give her some kick.
The noises where haunting... whines and moans at high dbs.. coming from bad earths, coil, alternator , wiper motor and poor shielding properties of fibreglass.
Im about 48 hours in now.. ive fitted condensors to my alternator, coil and wipers, made up earth ring to earth all around the car and create a shielded web if negative polarity megnetics fields lol.. and ive reduced nearly all whine from amp now.
Biggest reduction came from earthing RCA to stereo caseing.
Im hopeing to have a semi good sound system, new push button ignition system and leds to light up dashboard by time curbs is here.. not much mechanical this year lol but i modded and fitted the 4ha axle last year, so figured id use this year to do tarty and un-needed work lol :).

1991 Celica GT
2005 Peugeot 407

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 am

Condensers - you must be as old as me, next you will be talking about a Faraday cage.

Chenzo1331

Post by Chenzo1331 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Lol faraday cage! Please refer to my post about alternator/coil interference.. ive actually build a kinda negative faraday cage into my car already lol

1991 Celica GT
2005 Peugeot 407

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:31 am

Lovely to read of a coupe being used as an everyday car....Hope that it is still providing reliable service....

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:42 am

I've seen ur car a few times in Crawley near the auto centre :)

Glad uve built the confidence to use it as a daily now (I know when u first got it, curbs was sensibly done on a trailer)

JC

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:47 am

Chenzo1331 wrote:I also mounted a couple of laptop style, silent running fans into the passengers and drivers foot wells (ready for hot days in traffic)

Quite by chance I was pondering whether I could do something like that in may car, which tends to get very hot if I'm sat in traffic for too long. I don't have the centre console in my car where the cabin air vents would blow into the cabin, and I wondered (idly, and with no research yet) whether I might be able to aid cooling at the back of my engine by reversing the flow through the vent holes and having a couple of small fans pushing in to the engine bay at the rear.

Not sure if this is exactly what you've done, but I'd love to see some pics of what you've done if at all possible as it might help me to make up my mind about whether or not I want to try something like this.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:51 am

Assuming you've still got the footwell fans, Tim, they provide cool(ish) air through vents fitted to the panels there. Looking at a pic of your interior, it looks like it?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 am

At this point... I have absolutely no idea Phil :D

I tend to make a list of just five things to investigate and address, and unless something alarming/urgent crops up, I studiously avoid looking at anything else until I've cleared my list. It's very easy for me to get overwhelmed and become demotivated... so it works for me to just pick off a small number of things and see them through. Consequently, I remain purposefully oblivious to other aspects of my car until it's time to stick them on a list and look at them... which is why I'll sometimes appear to be utterly oblivious about stuff which you lot are able to easily identify in pics or descriptions I post.

It's an odd way of working I guess, but it works for me... I'm an odd bloke.

:P

Return to “Coupé”