front shockers

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

front shockers

Post by peter freeman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Fitted new shockers to the front of our Coupe this morning - off with the AVO's ( drivers side leaking ) and on with Gaz. Looking at my records the AVO's have only done 10k but they have been on the car for 10 years. I had to cut the bottom bolt extremities off the get the drivers shocker off but on the passenger side the bolt came out no trouble. The bottom bushes were well distorted but the top ones ok ? Anyway yet to try the car with the Gaz set-up - job for tomorrow morning when I have to go to the bank anyway. If the driver side bottom bolt had come out it would have been a quick job - getting an angle grinder into the bolt is not easy.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Re: front shockers

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:02 pm

It was the same when I took the AVO shocks off the front of my GT6 (maybe not identical but a similar design). The top bushes were good but the bottom bushes had distorted, after about 5 years and 12,000 miles. The bottom bushes really ought to last longer.

Nigel

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 am

I too am non too impressed with AVO quality, 10k miles and all squigy, need to increase the adjutable damping again, that's twice since I've had them and I'll not even start about their poly bushes and replacement metalastic versions, one of the fronts the upper threaded section now turns on the lower section making adjusting spring height impossible grrr, yeah they are 5 years old but relatively low mileage and kept fully greases with white silicone grease on the threads so I could adjust if required, think I'll be raising the matter with them.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Mike, I am in the process of rebuilding a Coupe have just removed body from chassis, and noticed that the quite recent front AVO shocks have very squidgy out of shape red colour plastic bushes. If there is a fix for this could you please let me know what it is and where I get them. Will also be looking for a full st of chassis bushes at a good price, prefer old fashioned metalastic if available.
Tim

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm

I have now tried the Gaz shocker and they feel better than the AVO's but on the Coupe only three clicks up from the bottom needed which leaves a lot of clicks unused - I assume its because the Coupe is lighter.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:16 pm

teecee wrote:Hi Mike, I am in the process of rebuilding a Coupe have just removed body from chassis, and noticed that the quite recent front AVO shocks have very squidgy out of shape red colour plastic bushes. If there is a fix for this could you please let me know what it is and where I get them. Will also be looking for a full st of chassis bushes at a good price, prefer old fashioned metalastic if available.
Tim
Go back to your supplier (QRG in my case) they should replace them FOC depending on how long you've had them, not fit for purpose in my opinion, dampers will be coming off the GTE again shortly for a rebush so will have a look to see how the metalastic ones are doing wear wise
Last edited by ScimmyMike on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Yes, I got the metalastic fix FOC too.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

teecee
RSSOC Member

Post by teecee » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:49 am

Full marks to AVO contacted them about the "red squiggly bushes" and I had a full car set sent for the following day. The new bushes are the old rubber legalistic type with special metal adaptor rings to decrease the diameter of the shocker eye. As my car is a full rebuild it will be a while until I try them, and time will tell if they do the job.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:28 am

Similar thread here

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Peter are you happy with your GAZ? How are the bushes holding up? I have Gaz on my car , no idea how old they are, and although they perform well I notice that the bushes are beginning to show some wear.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Read some stuff on the forum before about shock bushes. Can anyone tell me if the failure is confined to the bottom bush ?

My thought was to place a block of polyurethane below the eye and pre compress it a little before putting the bolt through.

Derek

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:56 pm

I haven't had a problem with the bushes on the Gaz fitted to my TR6 for many years.

On my GT6, I fitted Avo all round about 5 years ago and all the bottom bushes are shot, though the tops are still okay. Fitted Gaz recently on my SE6A.

Personally, I wouldn't try wedging in blocks of PU and plan to fit new bushes on the GT6.

Nigel

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Oldconn wrote:Peter are you happy with your GAZ? How are the bushes holding up? I have Gaz on my car , no idea how old they are, and although they perform well I notice that the bushes are beginning to show some wear.
I have not done a lot of mileage on the Gaz shockers but the ride is better ( IMO ) than it was with AVO's. I had to change the front shockers because one of the AVOs started to leak and AVO would not supply a new seal - they wanted to recon them themselves which cost as much as a new shocker.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Ive run AVOs for years with none of the issues you lot have mentioned. I cant imagine why any manufacturer would supply seals only to repair a pressurised item, thats got litigation written all over it when the DIYer fires the piston rod through the garage roof and landing injuring a kitten or asylum seeker ;-)
AVO have rebuilt dampers for me before, being serviced and returned same day for about 15 quid a damper.
I have some GAZ Gold Pros on the front of the car now and they seem fine too albeit alloy (nice and light :-) ) but they are almost twice the price of the AVOs.
Polybushes arent a great idea for shock bushes unless the design of the suspension is suitable so the damper eyelets only rotate and dont move in any other arc (rules out all reliants and their 'nearenuff' engineering...)

To be fair anything having to hold an Essesx engine off the floor is doomed to fail anyway, as they were cast from genuine Ford Unliftium iron

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:55 pm

My AVO's are not pressurised and they wanted a lot more than £15 to recon it and to be sure of the car balance I would have had both fronts done. I took the shocker apart quite easily with a C spanner.

Return to “Coupé”