Front shocks on rear

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

BryanM

Front shocks on rear

Post by BryanM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am

After solving my boot problems fairly easily on Sunday with your help, time to move on to the next issue!

The car had been fitted with the stronger GTE axle but as you know it's a bit wider so the car sits high at the back and low at the froPart of the bodywork mods I got done was subtle flaring of the rear arches to allow a standard ride height. Something in my rusty memory from 7 years ago came to mind he had fitted front shocks on the rear when he fitted the axle but I'm just wondering if what he did was swop the shocks front to rear. Had a look tonight and the rear shocks have 12 coils on the springs but the fronts only 10. Would this look like they have simply been stopped round?

I also have a nearly new set of AVO shocks with adjustable spring platforms I bought for our GTE when we had it. Would they fit straight on to the Coupe bearing in mind the later axle fitted?

Thanks for any help.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Front shocks on rear

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 am

The wider axle will mean that the shock length will change
As standard the shocks sit at an angle and the wider axle increases this angle a little
By all means fit the GTE shocks but don’t make the spring rates too high or the car will be nasty at speed in a corner

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

BryanM

Front shocks on rear

Post by BryanM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks
Main thing at the moment is to get the ride height roughly right and can work with the AVO’s and spring rates later. Are 10 coil springs rears and 12 coil ones fronts?

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Front shocks on rear

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Hard to say
It will be down to free length and poundage

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Front shocks on rear

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm

You can work out the spring rates (assuming they aren't old and tired) from this:
Lee Springs Engineer’s Guide: rate = Gd4/8nD3
Spring steel modulus of rigidity G = 80 x 103 N/mm;
Number of turns (with ground ends) n = turns-2
A rate of 1N/mm = 5.7lbf/in

The "cut and paste" hasn't copied correctly, it is G x (wire diameter raised to the power 4) divided by 8 x number of turns x Mean diameter D raised to the power 3
Count the coil turns and deduct 2 because of the flat ground ends, to get "n"
Wire diameter "d" on my springs is 0.375" or 9.53 mm
Outside diameter of the coil D+ 2d so D the mean diameter D isthe Outside dia minus wire thickness.
I made all my calculations in metric; e.g. 35N/mm. Off the top of my head I think you are needing something between 200 and 300 lbf/inch

Worth a try?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

BryanM

Front shocks on rear

Post by BryanM » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 pm

On the assumption a pictures tells a thousand words, below are the two shocks as they were fitted.
IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_8151.JPG (485.78 KiB) Viewed 77 times
The one on the left(10 coils) was on the front and the one on the right (12 coils) was on the back. The car was high at the back and low at the front. Found the piece of paper with the information that fronts were on the back but not whether they had just been swopped!
Anybody with a car recognise them?
Thanks

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Front shocks on rear

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

The Rh looks like a front due to the visible part of the damper at the bottom which is usually required to clear the wishbones

Return to “Coupé”