ScimitarWeb Noggins Page Mapping

For local Noggin information, chat and details

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ian
RSSOC Member

ScimitarWeb Noggins Page Mapping

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

I have updated the UK Noggins Map to work directly with the Google Maps API rather than through the third-party ZeeMaps. This has enabled me to directly link the content of the map to the information held in the Noggins database. Therefore all updates, additions or deletions performed on the database should be reflected in the map. I have also taken the opportunity to make the "Venue" field in the displayed list a link to a larger scale map which can also be accessed from the pop-up bubble shown when you click on a marker on the UK map. The information displayed with the maps is consistent with the list in that members and non-members see different information, in accordance with the current club policy.

As always, I'm open to constructive criticism and await the reports of the inevitable glitches.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: ScimitarWeb Noggins Page Mapping

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Ian, I wasn't aware of the existance of this map before (but then I've never needed to check where the noggin is, I know the way well enough! :lol: ). I looks great, and I can see it being a great help to new members.

One thing I did notice though, the map symbol (for West Sussex) is quite a long way from the actual venue (though I appreciate it may be within the same high-level postcode area) Is it possible for us to move it, or are you the only person that can do that? :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm the only one who can override the Google geocoding values at the moment. I'll need an accurate Lat and Long values. I'll look into allowing others to do it by dragging on the map but it won't be easy.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi Ian, I'm surprised that postcode seems to cover such a big area. The postcode given does appear (from the references to the pub that I can find) to be right, but the postcode for the post office (which is only on the other side of the road) works much better. That postcode is RH12 4PX, which gets you to within about 100 yards (certainly within the same village rather than in a town centre a few miles away). The exact co-ordinates for the pub are 51.121757,-0.278561 if that helps. Thanks very much for your assistance.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Google geocoding does seem to get its knickers in a twist with UK postcodes. Going to Google maps and putting in just the postcode RH12 4AR does take you to the middle of Horsham so its not just our use of it. Researching this shows that they admit there is a problem but blame it on the Royal Mail for restrictive licensing of postcodes because they own the copyright of them. I'm going to have put in a function to allow manual editing of the exact location. I've put in your supplied coordinates now but it will revert to using geocoding if the entry is edited. I could have done without these problems!

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks very much for doing that, Ian. That looks OK now. It's certainly a bit strange, I had a few minutes spare so I tried a few others whose location I roughly knew (Surrey, Hants, Glos, High Peak, Norfolk) and they all seemed to be roughly right (probably within 100 yds or less) so ours does seem to be a bit of an oddity.

cheers,

....Roger

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Gloucester noggin postcode has put the pin within 25-50m (ie the other side of the roundabout) and dead obvious as it says "Toby Carvery" on the other side of the roundabout :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Yes, when I've used postcodes in the past, they've normally been pretty accurate, so I was really surprised when the pin was almost 5 miles away! :shock: My first thought was a simple typo in the postcode, but then a bit more digging unearthed a bit of a :w

....Roger

Return to “Noggins”