1800 Ti ECU

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Dave Eddy
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by Dave Eddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am

Ok people who would be kind enough to explain to me the Dark Art of the 1800 Ti ECU, mine is currently showing a constant RED and a constant GREEN which if i am correct is Crank Angle Error.
Firstly what do i do to rectify that ?
Secondly how do i reset the ECU, and also should there be ANY lights showing when all is well ???

WILL HITTING IT WITH A LARGE HAMMER HELP !!!

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

henryp
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by henryp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Dave,

I've never come across constantly lit LEDs. Flashing in all manner of unexpected ways, yes, but never constantly on.
Error codes should be alternate flashing, red then green, not constant.
I can only suggest the ECU is in the wrong mode. The info half way down this page may help get you into the correct mode:
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 2&start=30

Code 11 (one red flash then one green flash) is crank angle sensor, which likely means the LED illumination unit inside the distributor has failed.
The above thread tells all.
All's well is code 55.

I have in the past resorted to removing power to the ECU in the hope that on power up it would auto-reset itself into a mode I could work from.
Of course this also deleted the codes I was trying to read, but I figured if they were important they would soon come back.
They did, engine firing/running is not required, one just has to crank for long enough. I seem to remember some faffing around with the
ECU screw and WOT accelerator pedal being required too. I don't have access to my Haynes Nissan Bluebird book at present but I think it's in there.
I'll try to find it and get any additional info for you when I can.

Many's the time I've picked up the hammer.

Henry P
(RSSOC member, owner of SS1 Ti)

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by PeteMac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I assume the car isn't starting. There have been a few threads discussing this, and there is some great info on testing your crank angle sensor. (Look for the Ti distributor document added by Jim Russell. I can't locate it myself just now, but it's somewhere here.) Also get your hands on the SS1 service manual from the club. The Nissan S12 manual is also downloadable online.

Anyway, diagnosis with the ECU...

1. On the ECU (on the same edge of the unit as your red and green lights) carefully turn the screw fully clockwise. It is now in diagnosis mode.
2. Turn ignition to 'On' (should hear fuel pump)
3. Check your ECU codes. As mentioned above they flash - red for 10's, green for 1's. So the following - red red green green green = 23
4. There are a couple of codes that are expected. 23 and 31 if I remember correctly.
5. Note down any other codes.
6. Depress accelerator fully once.
7. Check codes again. Note down the codes.
8. Try and start the car. I believe you should let it turn for 2 seconds or more.
9. Check for codes again.
10. Once done, turn the ECU screw anti-clickwise to exit diagnosis mode.

Now refer to the Nissan fault codes. Again, these are available - last seen as a sticky on the members SS1 area.

Mine reported both crank angle sensor and air flow meter codes, but it turned out to be the sensor.

Disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU.
Last edited by PeteMac on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1987 1800Ti
(previous 1975 SE5a, 1968 GT)

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by PeteMac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm

1987 1800Ti

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by PeteMac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 pm

1987 1800Ti

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by PeteMac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Testing the crank angle sensor has been discussed a few times, and one method is discussed in Jim's document above. I used the following method:

1. Get cylinder 1 to TDC (or at least remove dizzy cap and note position of rotor arm - but in this case, make sure you don't turn the engine while the dizzy's out)
2. Disconnect coil king lead from the dizzy cap. Place disconnected end close to a metal surface (heat shield perhaps)
3. Remove distributor, keeping wiring harness attached.
3. Turn ignition to 'On'. (Again, fuel pump should be heard. Remember - do not attempt to start.)
4. Slowly turn the distributor - rotor arm direction is ant-clockwise.
5. On every quarter turn you should hear the injectors clicking, followed by a spark at the king lead. If you don't, then somethings up with your sensor.

Mine was clicking and sparking randomly, often only once per couple of turns. A clear indication that the crank angle sensor was not doing its job properly.

1987 1800Ti

Dave Eddy
RSSOC Member

1800 Ti ECU

Post by Dave Eddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks to All, will spend tomorrow trying to make it all work .

IF NOT , BREAK OUT THE HAMMER, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED ! HAA.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”