Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi has anyone re-routed the fuel pipes on a Ti from the tank to the engine to make maintenance easier and if so which way was it done ,thanks in advance for your comments :D


Colin

1800 Ti

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 35871
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 820 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:35 pm

I’ve replaced a couple - just make the nylon lines a few feet longer (there’s no maintenance on them, so access isn’t a problem) so that the joins with the rubber pipes, are accessible in the Engine bay and boot area.


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 11:27 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by AllingtonGT » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Agree with Jim. Bit more work but means it’s easy to change them next time. Move pump to locate on cross member at same time.



User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:59 am

In my ignorance I hadn't realised that the long pipe was nylon,it was the rear rubber pipes I had a problem with so I took the boot liner out to see what was going on and I could see that one of them joins the long pipe that goes forward,could also see the pump in a tricky place too . I have had the rubber pipes re-connected and had a new sender unit ,but I feel it's only a matter of time before they need replacing, thanks for the info Jim and Allington


Colin

1800 Ti

User avatar
peter freeman
RSSOC Member
Posts: 9369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm
Location: Newcastle
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 315 times
Contact:

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by peter freeman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:29 am

I moved the fuel pump next to the tank and ran new pipes down the drivers side of the car and into the engine bay which is where I connected the rubber pipes - I can not understand why the fuel pipes run down the near side then across the top of the gearbox and are junction where you cannot easily get at them. Moving the fuel pump out of the road wet and grime seemed to be a good thing to do at the same time.



User avatar
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member
Posts: 19288
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I did the same as Jim and Geoff, which removes the issue of the junction over the gearbox.. (I presume the pipes are in the centre of the car to be as far as possible away from the scene of an accident)


....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Image

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

User avatar
reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member
Posts: 4606
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Beighton, Sheffield
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Running the fuel pipes across the transmission tunnel means they are longer and allows more play to actually service them.
I suspect the presence of the handbrake mechanism and reversing light switch probably also prevents them from being on the other side.

With the car in the air it is straightforward to change the pipes in their original layout and in my view there is no particular need to reroute them.

Likewise the 1800ti fuel pump is accessible and serviceable with the right access and correct tools.


Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Many thanks to peter,roger and philip for the advise ,not having a ramp they aren't in a very accessible position so I was thinking of the change.


Colin

1800 Ti

User avatar
peter freeman
RSSOC Member
Posts: 9369
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm
Location: Newcastle
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 315 times
Contact:

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by peter freeman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Same as me getting the car high enough is my problem - not helped by the drive being sloped.



User avatar
td99
RSSOC Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by td99 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:33 pm

I used rubber on one, copper on other, pipes engine bay to pump but original route. PITA! Peter F's suggestion to just run them down the driver's side seems best long-term solution to me. They can pass gearbox at top or bottom inside the chassis tunnel and easy to access. Pump on rear chassis rail in front of boot (for SS1) is easier than it's conventional place too, Wish I'd thought of that!.


Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm

td99 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:33 pm
I used rubber on one, copper on other, pipes engine bay to pump but original route. PITA! Peter F's suggestion to just run them down the driver's side seems best long-term solution to me. They can pass gearbox at top or bottom inside the chassis tunnel and easy to access. Pump on rear chassis rail in front of boot (for SS1) is easier than it's conventional place too, Wish I'd thought of that!.
Which is the best copper or rubber in your estimation,


Colin

1800 Ti

User avatar
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member
Posts: 19288
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:43 pm
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Rattling wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm
Which is the best copper or rubber in your estimation,
Copper or rubber is not really a choice.

Rubber only applies to the short flexible pieces of pipe at each end of the pipes. You always need them to absorb vibration and relative movement. The choice of nylon/copper/kunifer (which is rigidly mounted to the chassis) applies to the rigid pipes in between the rubber section. There will be all sorts of opinions between nylon/copper/kunifer. Nylon seems to be the commonest OEM fitment, and allows a degree of flexibility, without problems like work-hardening (that's what I used). Kunifer is the most rigid form of metal pipe, but is correspondingly more difficult to bend, copper is easier to form into bends, but has a bit of a reputation for work-hardening. The choice is yours. :)


....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Image

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:56 pm
Rattling wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm
Which is the best copper or rubber in your estimation,
Copper or rubber is not really a choice.

Rubber only applies to the short flexible pieces of pipe at each end of the pipes. You always need them to absorb vibration and relative movement. The choice of nylon/copper/kunifer (which is rigidly mounted to the chassis) applies to the rigid pipes in between the rubber section. There will be all sorts of opinions between nylon/copper/kunifer. Nylon seems to be the commonest OEM fitment, and allows a degree of flexibility, without problems like work-hardening (that's what I used). Kunifer is the most rigid form of metal pipe, but is correspondingly more difficult to bend, copper is easier to form into bends, but has a bit of a reputation for work-hardening. The choice is yours. :)
Roger thank you for clearing that point up ,I noticed when I'd got the boot out the one rubber pipe was connected to what looked like a dull brass pipe would that be the colour of kunifer.


Colin

1800 Ti

gtcse8
RSSOC Member
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:11 am
Location: Steeton, Yorkshire Dales
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Rattling wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm
dull brass pipe would that be the colour of kunifer.
Kunifer will dull with age so its difficult to differentiate between the Two after a few months.

On my PAS rebuilds I use a .8mm wall, high pressure Copper alloy pipe which has an EN number embossed on it, also a pressure recommended limit as used in small bore heating systems, this stuff is manufactured to withstand repeated contractions and expansions so should be well able to take the vibration and wear that a Scim could throw at it.


See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

User avatar
Rattling
RSSOC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re-placing & re-route fuel pipes

Post by Rattling » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 am

gtcse8 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm
Rattling wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm
dull brass pipe would that be the colour of kunifer.
Kunifer will dull with age so its difficult to differentiate between the Two after a few months.

On my PAS rebuilds I use a .8mm wall, high pressure Copper alloy pipe which has an EN number embossed on it, also a pressure recommended limit as used in small bore heating systems, this stuff is manufactured to withstand repeated contractions and expansions so should be well able to take the vibration and wear that a Scim could throw at it.
Many thanks for that info,now I can make some kind of informed choice on what to do next .


Colin

1800 Ti

Post Reply

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”