Sabre 2 in Netherlands

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Mikelima48
RSSOC Member

Sabre 2 in Netherlands

Post by Mikelima48 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Bart Gordjin has been in touch with me. He has bought a Sabre 2 from Belgium and needs to register it in the Netherlands where he lives. I've copied and pasted his query concerning the engine number on his car. I've been through the register and could find no information on this particular issue. Does anyone out there have any information that might be of help, please?

'Hope you’ll be able to help me…

The engine number was peened to the engine. Due to slight corrosion of the aluminium the numbers have probably disappeared.
I spoke to a guy whom worked for Rover for 25 years and whom was involved in homologation in The Netherlands. He told me about this problem on the first K4 1400 cc engines. It seems that dealer were informed about this problem. Rover changed the way of numbering the engines by stamping the numbers in to the engine.

I need to prove that this was the case to the dutch DVLA. Alternatively we can stamp the number in a different place, but I need to have “official” papers that conform that Reliant must have been informed about disappearing engine numbers on the K4 engine and that Reliant re-stamped the engine number on a different spot of the engine ( which would be logical because Rover used they engine for front wheel drive and it wasn't positioned in line in their models.
The cooling pipe and exhaust manifold cover the original place of the engine number.

Is there any way you can help me with some papers that can confirm the fact that Reliant might have relocated the engine number?'

Kind regards
Mike Littleton

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Sabre 2 in Netherlands

Post by scimjim » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Unlike the CVH where Reliant stamped their own engine number, Reliant used the Rover number on the K series and there’s nothing in the type approval documents (including the “how to fit the engine and box”) that indicates they re-stamped them. Where is this “new” location (as the complete exterior is alloy)? I haven’t even looked to see where the number is on my K series - might try tomorrow.

Caterham also used the engine in RWD format (and sold bellhousings to Reliant), so there may be some info on their sites?

Surely the simplest way is to just (re)stamp the number in the original location?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Sabre 2 in Netherlands

Post by erikscimitardemon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:49 am

Strange story!

On Dutch cars the engine# is never registred.
On all cars I imported, VIN was checked thorougly. engine# never.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

td99
RSSOC Member

Sabre 2 in Netherlands

Post by td99 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 pm

As Eric says, same with my car. No check on engine no.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”