Rusty fuel tank

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

HarrySS1

Rusty fuel tank

Post by HarrySS1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 am

I poked a second hole in the tank so decided I would get be ss tank, will be with me on Wednesday.
Il post an update once fitted and tested after the weekend, fingers crossed il have a working car!!
Thanks for all the tips.

HarrySS1

Rusty fuel tank

Post by HarrySS1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 am

The new SS fuel tank went in with a little wrestle, no major drama, it leaks from the fuel sender which is not a huge surprise by the looks of it, (not sure copper piping was ever a standard for fuel). Il be acquiring a new sender from QRG.
But also have a leak from the rubber fuel filler hose at its bottom end, hose clamp is nice and tight, any recommendations? Was a real bugger to get on!
The breather hose above that also fowled on my boot hinge, hence the cable ties, i seem to have it under control now. (the filler neck seemed to have raised up a little)
My other boot hinge seems to be stuck since i started this operation, any ideas on that?
Lots of questions, thanks in advance.
I hope the pictures and info will help someone doing a similar process themselves.
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG (166.63 KiB) Viewed 322 times
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1731.JPG (130.02 KiB) Viewed 322 times
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG (114.21 KiB) Viewed 322 times

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Rusty fuel tank

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 am

The sender connection is "previously repaired"..they do get a bit fragile!

Your hose clips look a little past their best from the picture - could be corrosion stopping you being able to nip it up fully?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Rusty fuel tank

Post by David Tew » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 am

philhoward wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 am
Your hose clips look a little past their best from the picture - could be corrosion stopping you being able to nip it up fully?
There could also be damage to the internal lip of the hose. I've seen rust embedded in them before and it's very difficult to remove without causing more damage.
Probably worth fitting a new hose and stainless Mikalor clips

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes…including you.

big_billc
RSSOC Member

Rusty fuel tank

Post by big_billc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

I just typed and looked up the website, I was about to send when the last post came in. Decided to sent it anyway just for anybody who had the same problem.

The best thing is a S/S tank but is not cheap if money is an issue. If you want to clean & seal the inside and protect the outside look at below. They do a "Fuel Tank Renewal Kit" the small size for a SS1. Even if you get a second hand one, it is going to be very old and probably gundged up, so worth preserving it. I did it on my SS1 and was very happy with the result. I also had minor leaks which were completely sorted. Looking at your hole I am not sure how big it is, I suggest masking the outside with tape until it sets, or even GRP/isopon

http://www.rust.co.uk/fuel-ethanol-proo ... rs/c28114/

Old English White SE6A 2.9 EFI, Subaru White Sabre 1800Ti, Dark Grey Saab 9-3 My Scimitar spares collection car.
Problems : - Find a problem, Sort a problem, now there is no problem.

Alan SS1

Rusty fuel tank

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 pm

ref boot hinge, remove and heat on gas stove, soak in favourite rust easing material, refit

BUT only remove ONE of the bolts that go into the boot lid at a time, ie remove hinge from the frame to allow the hinge to rotate on one bolt whilst remove it from hinge, put back temporarily, other wise the 'captive plate within boot lid might slide out of reach (been there)

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

dypcdiver
RSSOC Member

Rusty fuel tank

Post by dypcdiver » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 pm

You have fallen into the same trap as I did. Only when i looked at the before and after photos did I realise that the tank was originally offset towards the right hand side. This could explain your leak on the filler hose and the fouling on the hinge.
Attachments
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 227 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
There are times when I think the gene pool could do with some chlorine.
Yellow peril, Sabre Turbo LHD
Previous:- 4 x Coupes. Se5a. Se6. SE6b. 1600 SS1. 1800 Ti. Presently:- Sabre Mk2 Turbo.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”