Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Turner998

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by Turner998 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:27 pm

As a newbie to all of this and reading back posts about how bad the breaks are (allegedly) has got me thinking how bad mine are. (*Already got metro turbo calipers for brake upgrade)
To put into perspective, my Hillman Imp had better brakes than my car, or even my pedal bike has better! So thinking and going back to old school line of thought, I think my servo does not work. The pedal is rock hard with little movement/feel. Brakes are appalling (MOT Cert present)
Thinking back many years and playing around with Huntmaster Powerstop servos years ago, If I pump the brake pedal with the engine switched off, I should exhaust any servo assistance there, then if I start the engine with my foot on the brake pedal, I should feel the pedal travel down a little when the vacuum builds and the servo comes into play? Is this right? Can not test at the moment a Daughter's bedroom above garage!
If it is US, is there a one way valve? or something I should check. What car is the servo/master cylinder from?
Thanks in advance, Craig.

halfpenny

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by halfpenny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm

That test will show if the servo is working, but it may not be the servo that is at fault

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by philhoward » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm

It could be that you have partially seized callipers or the brakes (specifically the pads) have been cooked which turns them to granite but with next to no braking ability. Been there, done that.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Also look at the sroke of the rod on to the brake pedal. If the rod is not wound far enough in to the yoke (on the pedal), the master m/c will not return all the way back. This means the brake circuit does not open up to the resevoir & can give a solid pedal. At least this is an issue without a servo (sorry I'm coming from issues on competition cars), it could be the same issue with the servo though, it's an easy to check, so worth a look.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 am

No adjust-ability on the servo operation.

Replace the manifold to servo hose as a matter of course. They do funny things internally given the mix of fuel vapour, pressure and vacuum.

As for SS1 brakes. I have no problem locking mine up. The standard setup is absolutely fine if functioning correctly and using quality components.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Turner998

Servo/Brakes cr@p!

Post by Turner998 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm

To keep all posted. Replaced the rubber pipe to the servo. Carb and manifold checked and no leaks and pulling very good vac through new hose. Still no servo assistance that I can tell. Fitted new quality pads, so will see if any better, but not hopeful. Can not get to play in till next week now. Looks like servo may be US unless anyone has some more suggestions. Craig.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”