SS1 'Mr Green' back from the dead.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 am

Another years ticket from Lutterworth MOT centre :D
Advisory for oil leak (part of which was because I didn't have the dipstick fully home) :oops:
Comments along the lines of 'problems with the dipstick', 'the dipstick was incorrectly positioned (in the drivers seat)', 'the only SS1 with two dipsticks', etc are anticipated. :roll:
Friendly comment that the chassis was thirsty for some paint. That may be for the next owner though.

At least I didn't get the surprised comment 'actually it's all right!' that I got last year :lol:

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, previously 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:13 pm

For those of you who havn't already seen on Facebook, Mr Green now has a new home with my good friend and fellow nogginer Martin North. Using it 6 times in nearly 2 years really wasn't adequate to keep things ticking over and as I said in the first post, this was a rescue mission and I am sure that Martin will appreciate it and give it the TLC that it needs going forward rather than sell it for spares. Indeed, he has already done a cambelt and waterpump change and put on a couple of hundred miles of pretty trouble-free motoring. Let's all hope it stops raining soon so he can get the top down. :)

As I type this, I am halfway through a weekend of SE5a surgery. More here viewtopic.php?t=7125&start=450#p408113

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, previously 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

mn757
RSSOC Member

Post by mn757 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Well, three months and over 1000 miles since purchase, I thought I'd better keep this post updated.

Having owned several 'big' Scimitars it seemed inevitable that I'd have to try an SS1 at some point. Have to admit, I've never been a fan of the looks, but this one came up in the right colour and whilst not everyone's cup of tea being a 1300cc non galvanised it looked an ideal candidate to scratch that itch. I've also know of the car for many years via fellow noggin member and friend Andy so everything seemed to come together at the same time and I found myself the owner of a pointy thing.

First impressions, it was slow... But by the time I'd driven it home I was already addicted. Yes it's not the quickest thing on 4 wheels, but it's reasonably nippy and seems to enjoy being driven 'enthusiastically'. The handling is impressive and the steering is nicely geared.

Andy had kept on top of the service history and had done a lot of work on the car to keep it on the road. After sitting unused for sometime prior to purchase it made a few protests about everyday use, but 1000 miles on it's settled down. Seems better with every mile too. Andy's care has certainly kept it alive this long.

So what has it needed so far ?

First job was a new cambelt, waterpump and tensioner. These had all been replaced previously with minimal mileage covered since, but the age was an issue and sure enough the old belt was showing signs of fatigue. This job went very easily, mainly because I paid for someone else to do it!

Next came the fuel pipes. These had perished badly and were replaced with Gates ethanol proof hose.

After this, over a thousand miles covered with barely a need to open the bonnet, it's settled in to the daily commute quite nicely and attracts some puzzled looks and frowns. Got to love an underdog.

Since then, it's just been the nearside headlight refusing to return to base. Phil Wormwald's headlight guide soon had that diagnosed and the brass contact under the brass strip was heavily corroded and pitted. I managed to fix it with a blob of solder but after working consistently for an entire week it's gone into limp mode again. Another job for another time.

MOT is due next month and I know it'll need pads, disks and calipers for any chance of a pass, but I'm fairly confident the rest is ok.

It's interesting to compare the SS1 to the 1500 Spitfire that also shares garage space. The latter is more of a looker but is desperately in need of an extra cog whilst the SS1 is quite happy in 5th gear at 70mph (and a bit beyond..) The SS1 is also far more usable despite the occasion bit falling off.

To anyone else who hasn't tried one, i'd really recommend them!

1965 Scimitar GT SE4
1976 Scimitar GTE SE6
1985 SS1 1300 5 Speed

also...
1974 Lambretta Li125, 1957 Francis Barnett, 1960 Matchless G2, 1960 Mobylette, 1957 Victoria Nicky, 1976 Puch MS50D, Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc, 2005 MG ZT-T

Previous - 1970 SE5, 1976 SE6, 1979 SE6a, 1977 Scimitar GTE SE6a 3500 V8

mn757
RSSOC Member

Post by mn757 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

October 2018 (I'm a bit late posting...)

Time for an update on ‘Mr Green’, now 9 months since purchase and over 3000 miles covered regardless of weather. It’s been going well, but a massive oil leak meant the engine and gearbox had to come out. Not really what I needed as I’ve two other cars needing major surgery, but needs must.

Engine and box came out quite easily, trickiest bit seemed to be getting to the clip that holds the speedo cable in ! Still couldn’t be sure where the oil was coming from, but replaced the rear crank seal, rear distributor seal, sump gasket, propshaft seal (whilst it was out) and also decided it would be silly not to replace the clutch, even though it wasn’t that old.

Numerous orders with QRG and all parts fitted ready for assembly. On the bigger Scimitars I normally remove the gearbox first before the engine, but so nice to align the gearbox before refitting the pair of them with the SS1. Will do this from now on I think.

Engine back in, and then time to start adding the various ancillaries. I’d noticed a massive crack in the exhaust manifold but thankfully noggin member and previous owner Andy had a spare so that was sorted. I also got a weber carb and manifold from a 1600 (this is a 1300 engine) but I decided that would wait for another day.

All went together pretty easily, but I managed to lose the small clip that holds the choke cable to the bracketry. Knocked up a revised bracket with some spare metal, and then promptly found the original. Oh well.

Only thing left to fit was the distributor, but for some silly reason I decided I’d fill the engine with oil first. Big mistake. Copious amounts of oil poured out the back of the cyl head where the distributor should be…I know, rookie error. Sorted out the soiled driveway, refitted the distributor but then noticed the carbon brush had fell out at some point during storage. Another trip to motor factors and that was sorted, ‘O’ ring on distributor replaced, oil refilled (again) and it started first time.

Needed the car for work and each evening for the next few nights was spent tweaking a few bits that had caused issue during that day’s commute. All sorted now, no oil leak (touch wood) and it’s running nicely once more.

Parts fitted (for future owner’s record), @ 74k miles

Sump gasket

Rear crank seal

Distributor O ring

Prop shaft seal

New gearbox oil

Engine oil and filter

Plugs, leads, Cap, rotor arm,

Gearbox mount

Clutch 3 part kit

Collected hard top from Andy so that’s now fitted and has made the car much warmer and relatively less breazy – the windows keep steaming up now !

Writing now in 2019, car has covered another 600 miles since engine antics and is currently awaiting suspension repair but hopefully be back on the road in a few weeks.

1965 Scimitar GT SE4
1976 Scimitar GTE SE6
1985 SS1 1300 5 Speed

also...
1974 Lambretta Li125, 1957 Francis Barnett, 1960 Matchless G2, 1960 Mobylette, 1957 Victoria Nicky, 1976 Puch MS50D, Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc, 2005 MG ZT-T

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am

Well done! Interesting to see that you got it out, complete with gearbox, without removing the nose panelling (only the bonnet, of course). I've always had the impression that removing the nose was virtually essential?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

mn757
RSSOC Member

Post by mn757 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm

It seemed to cause no issues. Although, fingers crossed I have no plans on trying it again :)

1965 Scimitar GT SE4
1976 Scimitar GTE SE6
1985 SS1 1300 5 Speed

also...

myredscimitar
RSSOC Member

Post by myredscimitar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am
Well done! Interesting to see that you got it out, complete with gearbox, without removing the nose panelling (only the bonnet, of course). I've always had the impression that removing the nose was virtually essential?
Depends on the hoist I think. The hoist I used ( a few years ago now ) would not get close enough without removing the nose. mn757's hoist looks rather bigger though.

1600 CVH SS1 1988
1400 CVH SS1 1987
Previous GTE 6b 1983
RSSOC 5432
The Scimitar SS1 is not so much a car as a lifestyle statement; it basically says "I'm mad, and I don't care".

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

myredscimitar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Roger Pennington wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am
Depends on the hoist I think. The hoist I used ( a few years ago now ) would not get close enough without removing the nose. mn757's hoist looks rather bigger though.
i've not had remove anything except the bonnet but I use a fixed beam in garage and roll car backwards as engine/box is lifted up

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”