Heater motor

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Clueless1
RSSOC Member

Heater motor

Post by Clueless1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm

I’m trying to remove the plastic fan from the heater motor, without much luck! It’s been soaking in releasing fluid (plus gas) for a week but it refuses to come apart. My next step is to pour boiling water on the fan itself to see if that works. I can’t see any hidden fixings, even with my glasses on!
HELP!

Do or do not, there is no try.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Heater motor

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm

I've never needed to do it, but I wonder if it's one of those things that is a tight fit on the shaft, which then has rough splines or knurls which grip on the fan by biting into the inside of its hole as it's pushed on? That may make it tricky to remove, and may mean that it will be slightly loose on replacement, unless you glue it?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Heater motor

Post by David Tew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Not sure of the wedges were the same as proper Scimitars ( :wink: ) but mine was just a very tight push-fit with a spring-slip adding pressure. The shaft itself was plain. I think that the plastic hardens over time and locks the fan on the shaft. I pulled steadily but firmly on the centre hub and it came off. Just stay away from the blades.

A blast with a hairdryer might help things by differential expansion.

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”