Replacing the rear hatch Rubber

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Coco La Blanc

Re: Replacing the rear hatch Rubber

Post by Coco La Blanc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Bob,
You must be very careful with the new Front and Rear Electric Heated Windows as they seem to be somewhat more brittle than the originals. The Rears are not too bad to do yourself but I will be getting professional help to install the Front Screen (ie. Fully covered by their Insurance !).
Regards,
Viv

ps. How do I know - well after fitting "'Little Bill's" Rear Screen we went in for a cup of tea and when we returned it had cracked across one corner - 200quid up the swanny !!!

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Mine already has a heated windscreen in Viv so its only the rear that I need.

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 pm

"I'm sure Terry Hadigate will support that".

Yes Viv, I thought I did well fitting that rear hatch seal :lol: You were very lucky I was there to help :lol: :lol: :lol: .
You did work hard on that and to be honest I would'nt suggest anyone doing one of these unless they know what they are doing. That bottom piece is very tight to get over the seal. I'm glad I came down to you because if I had tried to replace the rubber seal, the lot would have gone in the bin in a twisted heap.
Best Regards Terry H

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi All,
As Viv as already mentioned, I have one of his "ribbed" rubbers in my rear hatch (Cue the "Double Entendre" Police.... oo er missus!) and has been on the car for last 2 years.
The job is not a 5 minute one and if it's your first one (like me), I wanted to throw the whole thing out the window after the first hour of trying to get the seal in and joining the two halves of chrome frame together. After a lot of cursing, swearing, lube and rigging up a Spanish windlass alongside a couple of woodworking cramps, the hatch came together, new fishplates fitted and the seal in place and no damage to it or my newly rechromed hatch frame.
Put aside 2 hours to do the job and get 2 other people to help you!!

I put this job up there alongside replacing the window wiper boxes as a real b*sta*rd of a job on a 5a!!

Good luck!!
Kev

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

DanDrums

Post by DanDrums » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Bob. Don't change the entire window until you've tried one of those silver circuit board repair pens. They're around a tenner each. I've not used one but you can get them on eBay. Find the break in the element with a multimeter and draw the connection back in.

I'll happily help you repair the rubber on any new or old glass of course!

Dan.

Transit Mk3 in vermillion red G761 MCA 'Gordon'
Scimitar SE6a in faded peppermint green & grey go-faster stripe CCX 36S 'Des'

DanDrums

Post by DanDrums » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Kev. The rubber bush around the wiper boxes is the next job on the list... I'm getting wet carpets and my wipers are wobbling around and hitting each other!

Dan

Transit Mk3 in vermillion red G761 MCA 'Gordon'
Scimitar SE6a in faded peppermint green & grey go-faster stripe CCX 36S 'Des'

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

DanDrums wrote:Bob. Don't change the entire window until you've tried one of those silver circuit board repair pens. They're around a tenner each. I've not used one but you can get them on eBay. Find the break in the element with a multimeter and draw the connection back in.

I'll happily help you repair the rubber on any new or old glass of course!

Dan.
The one thats on at the moment has had some sort of repair attempted Dan and to be honest it looks a bit of a pigs ear, the surround however look to be in really good nick and polishes up nice. If you find any replacement rubbers for the wiper spindles I would like a nudge in the right direction, I spoke to Dan at GW and they are supposed to be having some remanufactured but nothing as yet.

Thanks for the offer :wink:

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
Scimitars Biggest Fan

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm

MrGoldtop1960 wrote:Hi All,
As Viv as already mentioned, I have one of his "ribbed" rubbers in my rear hatch (Cue the "Double Entendre" Police.... oo er missus!) and has been on the car for last 2 years.
The job is not a 5 minute one and if it's your first one (like me), I wanted to throw the whole thing out the window after the first hour of trying to get the seal in and joining the two halves of chrome frame together. After a lot of cursing, swearing, lube and rigging up a Spanish windlass alongside a couple of woodworking cramps, the hatch came together, new fishplates fitted and the seal in place and no damage to it or my newly rechromed hatch frame.
Put aside 2 hours to do the job and get 2 other people to help you!!

I put this job up there alongside replacing the window wiper boxes as a real b*sta*rd of a job on a 5a!!

Good luck!!
Kev
Completely agree. I spent two weekends trying to do the full monte seal replacement on my rear hatch. With the help of various clamps and ratchet straps I eventually got the two sides of the frame to meet again to screw in the brass plates I bought from QRG. However having then released it all, I realised that I have now bent/lightly creased the corners of the frame in my frustrations trying to get the two halves back together (which then made it a pig to get the outer seal on) :oops: . I have ended up buying another second hand rear window now which is in not quite so good condition, replaced the outer seal on the frame itself only (rather than the glass one too) and used some Arbomast Screen sealant on it. Looks fine now but chrome not as good as the other I made a hash of. Most annoying. Convinced that the U seal supplied by QRG was too thick...Either way, the job needs the patience of a saint!

Just need to locate a decent hatch handle now.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am

dcw7095 wrote:
If you want a better than just decent one, which will actually stay that way too, then have a look at "little Bill" Brighton's stainless steel ones 8)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:19 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
dcw7095 wrote:
If you want a better than just decent one, which will actually stay that way too, then have a look at "little Bill" Brighton's stainless steel ones 8)
Thanks Roger. Never thought. Got Bill to sort me out with stainless wheel nuts for my Middlebridge wheels - could have sorted the handle at the same time. Will drop him a line. Cheers

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 am

Dave,
One of the reasons for some of your problems fitting the 'U' seal back into the frame was thatthe 'U' seal is slightly oversized and requires the trick of a severe stretching to enable a thinner section of rubber to be in situ whilst negotiating the Frame back together. Kevin O's cryptic assessment was spot on - It's a pig of a job no matter whether it's your 1st or 20th attempt !!!
Regards,
Viv

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm

A quick question regarding the rear frame repair please.

I have a Bill Brighton repair kit - and am asking an idiots question - does the brass fit glass side of the frame or on the outer side of the frame please -
I take it the screws then pass through the chrome part and enter the thread of the brass repair strip

Many thanks

Steve

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:27 pm

An idiots guide would be nice for this job, any one fancy doing it?

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
Scimitars Biggest Fan

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm

sorry - brief read doesnt really answer my dumb question

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”