Stop leaves falling into your heater (SE5)

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads will be locked once posted, so any further questions in the specific forum, please.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

ard126k

Stop leaves falling into your heater (SE5)

Post by ard126k » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:15 pm

It's always annoyed me that leaves and other rubbish can easily fall into the heater air inlet in front of the windscreen. So while I have the body off the chassis I thought I'd do something about it. I found there was just enough access to get my hand up from where the matrix sits to just below the slots. Got some stainless mesh from http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ and cut sections to fit under the opening. Mine were about 9" x 4", yours may vary. There was a small ledge at the front of the slots to support the mesh and I bent the nozzle of a mastic cartridge (with a heat gun) so that I could put some blobs of adhesive/sealer at the rear
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 675 times
to hold it there. Just as belt and braces I also made a little spatula to put some adhesive under the bars between the slots.

I supported the mesh with wire and dowel
image5.JPG
image5.JPG (46.81 KiB) Viewed 675 times
until the adhesive cured (24h)

and this is the finished job
image1-1.JPG
image1-1.JPG (47.52 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Should at least reduce the size of rubbish going in, so maybe it will be washed out from the drain below. I don't think this could be done unless the body is off the chassis or the engine at least is out of the car unless you are very flexible or proficient at putting ships into bottles! And I'm not familiar with the layout of the 5a heater so don't know if it's possible on them.

Alex.

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Re: Stop leaves falling into your heater (SE5)

Post by scimmy_man » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:29 pm

an access hole in the rear of the bulkhead, helps.

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Return to “How To Guides”