Lucas 6DA Intermittent Wiper Unit into a SE6a

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads will be locked once posted, so any further questions in the specific forum, please.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

mike whiskey

Lucas 6DA Intermittent Wiper Unit into a SE6a

Post by mike whiskey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:16 pm

I am not going to call this a how-to, I would not consider myself expert enough for that, and made so many mistakes along the way....
However it is a 'How I did it' and may be useful to some.

Fairly early on in ownership, one of the few modern conveniences I found myself missing was an intermittent wipe facility. I searched the forum and found out that later cars did have this, through the inclusion of the Lucas 6DA delay unit. There is even a Wiki Article Here. The Wiki stated that you can just split the loom and plug in the unit, so I acquired one from that well known Auction site and did just that. It didn't work, and neither did a second that I obtained. In both case the fast wipe speed would work, but nothing else.

I gave up for a while and focussed on other things, but eventually came back to wanting to fix this. I did a bit more looking and thinking and realised that the wiring colours in my harness did not match those identified for the various pins on the unit. Aha! It is possible to remove the pins from the wiring loom multiplug (use a small screwdriver to pry the retaining tab into the pin, then pull them out the back) I swapped around all the pins which is not a lot of fun with so little slack in the loom to work with. Again I was disappointed. I now had the front washer working, but nothing else What could be wrong?

Finally I noticed that the diagram suggested that the male output from the unit needed to go to the stalk and the female side to the motor. However when I split the loom the connector had the male side on the stalk and the female on the loom.

I discovered that the connectors used were available from Holden Vintage and Classic so I ordered a pair of these
5-Way Harness Connectors.

When they arrived I made up two mini-looms (gender-benders) for male to male and female to female connections.

Looms made up

Looms fitted to 6DA Unit

Because I had already de-pinned and re-pinned my original connectors, I made these looms up as direct connections. Knowing what I know now, doing this again I would leave the orginal loom as was, and used these looms to ensure that the right pins were connected to the right inputs and outputs.

The Diagram on the Wiki is correct for which wire goes to which pin, and is helpfully orientated so it works for looking at the connector side rather than the circuit board.

You also need to make sure you run an earth to the mounting hole with the earth tag. I used a bolt and a ring connector to attach an earthing wire, as the unit is then tucked up behind the dash (tie-wrapped to the steering column in my case) rather than mounted to a metal part of the car. (I picked up the earth from the bar across the bottom of the instruments.

Unit wired up before ty-wrapping to column

Of course, if you are making up the looms, you can make them as long as you wish and mount the unit anywhere!

It took me a little while to get my head around all of this, and there was a good degree of confusion and misunderstanding from those I asked along the way, so I hope this will be of benefit to anyone else who wants to do something similar.

MW

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Lucas 6DA Intermittent Wiper Unit into a SE6a

Post by scimjim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I'll add this info to the wiki. Please note that it's Lucas that says you can simply split the loom and add a 6DA, not "the wiki".

Perhaps someone with a 6DA equipped GTE as standard could see how Reliant did it?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

mike whiskey

Post by mike whiskey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 pm

No criticism intended. That was where I sourced the info. I'll admit I did not go back and check whereabouts within I gained that impression.
Had Reliant put the plug and socket on the other way around (which I guess they probably did on the later cars) then Lucas are 100% correct!

MW

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Perhaps, (and this is the implication of the photo of Tank's stalk in the other thread), since Reliant were outsourcing the stalks, they went on buying the same stalks, but incorporated gender-bending into the loom (i.e. the stalk doesn't plug directly into the 6DA)? I have a 6DA-equipped Se6a, but it's p*****g with rain so I doubt that I'll be able to look for a while.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:11 pm

mike whiskey wrote:I am not going to call this a how-to, I would not consider myself expert enough for that, and made so many mistakes along the way....
However it is a 'How I did it' and may be useful to some.
Mike, you are "hiding your light under a bushel" as the saying goes! I think this is certainly the kind of article which merits being in the "How to Guides" section, rather than being lost in General technical. Wearing my mod's anorak, I'll move it there. unless you strongly object? :)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Marmaduke
RSSOC Member

Post by Marmaduke » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:27 pm

My Cipher has the unit fitted and the stalk etc plugs directly in - as it uses a 3 wheeler loom perhaps it suggests reliant brought them in bulk for both - although I'd have thought it would be cheaper to buy a different unit or alternatively wire the cars to suit, rather than use gender changers.

the other type of unit with the odd sockets come from a late type mini if my memory is correct - they probably changed the shape to stop reliant raiding the parts bins!!!

1985 SS1 - What the Cipher dreams of driving like...
1980 Cipher - What the SS1 dreams of looking like...

mike whiskey

Post by mike whiskey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Roger,

Thanks for your comment. I've no objection to it being moved (or to it going into the Wiki) but it would be good for someone else to verify it if possible before it gets accepted as defining!

MW

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Well, I may have found a partial answer - I remembered that I had taken a number of photos of that area when I changed the steering column bushes back in 2012. I don't seem to have photographed the 6DA itself, but I have got this photo:

The blue loom ending in the red plug is the wiper switch loom, and the red plug appears to still be connected. The crucial point of course being, that it's not plugged into the 6DA. :)

....Roger

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Hmm - definitely points towards Reliant fitting a gender bender sub-loom (with the minor pin changes)?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “How To Guides”