Replacing Washer Bottle Pumps

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads will be locked once posted, so any further questions in the specific forum, please.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

piers.morrell
RSSOC Member

Replacing Washer Bottle Pumps

Post by piers.morrell » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Simple enough job and no doubt numerous ways of doing this but shared as I now have it down to a 'fast' art following split bottles, dead pumps etc.
Start with this lot:
WB2.jpg
WB2.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 955 times
The spanner is a cycle pedal spanner size 15 - pops into the top of the bottle a treat, holds the nut snugly and doesn't foul on the bottom of the bottle like a normal spanner. Plumbers tape round the thread because I am that OCD :lol:
Hold the nut and screw the pump in till reasonably tight - this is very easy with only 1 pump fitted but is a right pain with 2 as you will get to a point where you can't move 1 pump past the other.
Next double loop the cord like so:
WB3.jpg
WB3.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Slightly stiff cord and/or wet cord helps at this point so you can lower it into the bottle without losing the loops. I use the spanner again to push the loops down over the nut like so:
WB1.jpg
WB1.jpg (15.46 KiB) Viewed 955 times
All you need to do now is hold one end and pull the other to tighten the nut - simples.

Top tip - don't pull with Sampsonite strength trying to get a watertight seal - you will snap the threded section off the back of the pump...ask me how I know :shock:

To clean the bottle the quickest way I have found is to mix some baking soda with a little water to make a paste then use that on a sponge and it should come up white or at least more white than it was!

Piers

1979 6a Auto

Return to “How To Guides”