Replacing Washer Bottle Pumps

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

piers.morrell
RSSOC Member

Replacing Washer Bottle Pumps

Post by piers.morrell » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Simple enough job and no doubt numerous ways of doing this but shared as I now have it down to a 'fast' art following split bottles, dead pumps etc.
Start with this lot:
WB2.jpg
WB2.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
The spanner is a cycle pedal spanner size 15 - pops into the top of the bottle a treat, holds the nut snugly and doesn't foul on the bottom of the bottle like a normal spanner. Plumbers tape round the thread because I am that OCD :lol:
Hold the nut and screw the pump in till reasonably tight - this is very easy with only 1 pump fitted but is a right pain with 2 as you will get to a point where you can't move 1 pump past the other.
Next double loop the cord like so:
WB3.jpg
WB3.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Slightly stiff cord and/or wet cord helps at this point so you can lower it into the bottle without losing the loops. I use the spanner again to push the loops down over the nut like so:
WB1.jpg
WB1.jpg (15.46 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
All you need to do now is hold one end and pull the other to tighten the nut - simples.

Top tip - don't pull with Sampsonite strength trying to get a watertight seal - you will snap the threded section off the back of the pump...ask me how I know :shock:

To clean the bottle the quickest way I have found is to mix some baking soda with a little water to make a paste then use that on a sponge and it should come up white or at least more white than it was!

Piers

1979 6a Auto

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”