Glass bowl fuel pump

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads will be locked once posted, so any further questions in the specific forum, please.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

landy109 s2a

Glass bowl fuel pump

Post by landy109 s2a » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Might be of interest to members :idea: Rebuild a Glass bowl AC type petrol pump.Repair kits with the slot diaphragm no longer available according to agents.
New pumps available at around £70.Search around and you will find Landrover and Fergy tractors are the same kits.£7.50 to £14 each depending where you buy.I have just rebuilt a pump off a V6 Capri and fitted to the SE5.Works perfect. :lol:

Gillsfan

Re: Glass bowl fuel pump

Post by Gillsfan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Was it easy enough to do? I have a glass bowl pump and a kit sat in the garage ready to go. I don't suppose you have a diagram you you ?

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm

While I think about it I did find this after I'd bought a nos kit for slightly more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270881094979? ... 1423.l2649

Steve

landy109 s2a

Post by landy109 s2a » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Should take less than an hour,with tea break.(1) Remove glass bowl and take the filter off.The filter can be reused if required.Soak it in thinners for 10 minutes to remove the petrol wax coating and blow through it.(2) Remove the 6 studs holding the pump together and take apart.You might have to give it a light tap on the side to break the seal.(3)
On the bottom part you will see the rubber Diaphragm.Put the bottom part of the pump in a vice to hold it.Do not over tighten or you could crack the casting.Depress the arm that operates the pump,this will lift the spring loaded diaphragm off the casing.(4) Hold the arm down and press the diaphragm down at the same time and release from the hook arm
underneath.(5) Check the pin going through the arm and casing for wear.Replace if too warn.(6) Wash all parts with petrol.(7)Replace all parts in reverse order. Now the top part.
(1) Remove the two valves from the casing with point nose plyers.(2)Remove the old rubber glass seal and clean unit.(3) Replace in reverse order.Make sure the two valves are in the correct way.They will be a tight fit.Place them in the holes and with a small socket of the correct size tap them in square.(4)Check the alinement of the diaphragm and arrow on unit.If OK replace the 6 studs and tighten lightly.(5)Place pump in vice, depress pump arm tighten fully.This will give the correct tension on the diaphragm.

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Thank you. Just need to find some time to do it :-)

Steve

CLASSICFORDSPARES

Post by CLASSICFORDSPARES » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:41 pm

and I have a couple of pumps on ebay that would benefit from one of those kits

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Great rebuild article, thanks :D

[however, surely it's a "How to guide" not a "remanufacture request"? - I've waved my moderator's magic wand and moved it :wink: ]

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

landy109 s2a

Post by landy109 s2a » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Attached are a photo of the TOP and Bottom of the pump ready to reasamble.Should have mentioned, if no excesive wear on the pivot pin.No need to strip right down as in the photograph.Just clean and replace the Diaphragm on the bottom part.Replace the valves in the top.They might look in good order,but the springs will have weakend over time.Test before refitting to engine by placing a rubber pipe on the pickup side of the pump.Put the other end in a container of petrol and pump the cam leaver.Petrol should spurt and flow out of the pipe that goes to the carb.
001.JPG
001.JPG (248.32 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (237.36 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

Return to “How To Guides”